cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Breadmaker
Aspiring Contributor
Message 921 of 1,165

Re: Whole Home WiFi firmware update v1.02.04 build10

So after countless wasted hours of research for an alternative for our home needs, I am still using my faulting WH 3 disc setup. I considered all the alternatives, however it appears that they all have some issue of sort. The only one that still interests me is the Amplifi HD units, but that remains an itch unscratched for now, as I am loathed to throw twice the price of what my WH cost me at a system, when I know mine worked fine (up until last FWU).

So instead, I have invested in another set of my TP Link 1200 home plugs. These are now in use providing back haul duties on all my discs. Speeds remain constant with my download of 60-70mbps and they have, touch wood, remained in use for 3 days without too much issue. I say too much, as I definitely think the handover seems slower on older devices, in particular Apple ones. 

For information, my topology now is based on the order they reboot in. 

I have now missed my return window to Amazon, meaning I'm now stuck with WH. Therefore I hope that BT get this sorted for us and return the system that I bought and seems to be so liked by the reviewers. I also hope that they offer all of us that have submitted logs and issues a free add-on disc, as I wouldn't mind adding one to help me enjoy wifi in the garden when we get a summer! 

0 Ratings
Forthay
Contributor
Message 922 of 1,165

@Breadmakerwrote:

So after countless wasted hours of research for an alternative for our home needs, I am still using my faulting WH 3 disc setup. I considered all the alternatives, however it appears that they all have some issue of sort. The only one that still interests me is the Amplifi HD units, but that remains an itch unscratched for now, as I am loathed to throw twice the price of what my WH cost me at a system, when I know mine worked fine (up until last FWU).

So instead, I have invested in another set of my TP Link 1200 home plugs. These are now in use providing back haul duties on all my discs. Speeds remain constant with my download of 60-70mbps and they have, touch wood, remained in use for 3 days without too much issue. I say too much, as I definitely think the handover seems slower on older devices, in particular Apple ones. 

For information, my topology now is based on the order they reboot in. 

I have now missed my return window to Amazon, meaning I'm now stuck with WH. Therefore I hope that BT get this sorted for us and return the system that I bought and seems to be so liked by the reviewers. I also hope that they offer all of us that have submitted logs and issues a free add-on disc, as I wouldn't mind adding one to help me enjoy wifi in the garden when we get a summer! 

@Breadmaker I don’t know when you placed your order but in case it helps Amazon accepted my return up to a year later after I explained the problem. Like you I’d like to stick with BT WH as all the mesh Systems have their own oddities but with no end in sight...

GeeDoc
Beginner
Message 923 of 1,165

@RS4wrote:

@GeeDoc I totally agree with the view that IT infrastructure kit should be fixed IP, and for all the reasons you stated, plus the ability to easily firewall them if you need to control what access the devcices have to the outside world.

@RS4Actually on thinking about it a bit more, there's another good reason why you should use ethernet backhaul if available. If the backhaul is by wifi, then there's going to be a potential drop in available bandwidth for each subsequent node in each 'hop' to get back to the router with internet access.

0 Ratings
RS4
Contributor
Message 924 of 1,165

@GeeDoc Agreed.  Why use WiFi when you have the ability to use a 'reliable' and 'faster' string of copper 🙂

0 Ratings
Palazzo13
Contributor
Message 925 of 1,165

@RS4wrote:

Although I have previously read every post in this blog I do not recall if anyone has tried using multiple discs, but all with ethernet (or homeplug) backhaul, with any noticeable difference compared to using mesh on 'build 10'.

Have had my 3 disks all on homeplug backhaul without any issues for about 2 weeks now (although when I had it all wireless backhaul it was stable for over 30 days at one point without the mesh failing, so maybe that doesn't prove anything).

Like others I'm going to stick it out for a bit longer with WH as I have a practical config. Luckily I already had the homeplugs as part of earlier failed attempts to provide reliable wireless access points around the house with old routers.

0 Ratings
mikew88
Aspiring Expert
Message 926 of 1,165

@Palazzo13wrote:

@RS4wrote:

Although I have previously read every post in this blog I do not recall if anyone has tried using multiple discs, but all with ethernet (or homeplug) backhaul, with any noticeable difference compared to using mesh on 'build 10'.

Have had my 3 disks all on homeplug backhaul without any issues for about 2 weeks now (although when I had it all wireless backhaul it was stable for over 30 days at one point without the mesh failing, so maybe that doesn't prove anything).

Like others I'm going to stick it out for a bit longer with WH as I have a practical config. Luckily I already had the homeplugs as part of earlier failed attempts to provide reliable wireless access points around the house with old routers.

You see, I don’t see a system reboot after 30 days as meaning the system is faulty, so I wouldn’t have said you had a problem. Are we expecting it to stay up ad infinitum? Surely there can be blips elsewhere in the process, such as bb or router/modem dropouts, or an unusual temporary conflict, which may cause a WH down. If after the reboot it’s fine again for another 30 days, or until the next “event”...we’ll thats just WiFi life, isn’t it? Or are my expectations much too low?

0 Ratings
Yorkie29
Contributor
Message 927 of 1,165

MikeW88 - Yes your expectations are much too low. My Apple Airport router was plugged in eight years ago and only ever rebooted when moved, after powercuts etc. 30 days? I'd be upset at having to reboot every 300.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
prowlmedia
Aspiring Contributor
Message 928 of 1,165

There is zero reason that you shoul EVER have to reboot a system like this. It should auto recover. 

People rely on WiFi these day for smart home stuff / Heating / cameras etc.  

I first noticed that this was an issue when I was abroad I lost all my cameras etc.  and it's never worked since.  

I am now on Orbi and I've had a 20 min power cut and it just booted back up and carried on working.    

Also.. ironically as its GDPR week... I cannot now remove myself from these forums as I don't intend on buying another BT device / Service.   I am getting about 5 emails a day about people posting to this thread and I've unsubcribed etc and still recieve them 🙂 

0 Ratings
RS4
Contributor
Message 929 of 1,165

@mikew88

No, I think you should have higher expectations than 30 days uptime.  My own previous Apple based WiFi went years without interruption (similar to @Yorkie29) as did a Linksys based network I had also.  I understand that ISP provided WiFi routers these days are cheap-as-chips to manufacture, but even so they should not need to be rebooted as 'normal' practice!

Furthermore I ran a broadband supply business for 7 years, supplying more than 250 houses and businesses, using entirely WiFi based backhaul distributed over a 2000+ housing estate.  This used a combination of professional-grade CISCO and AirSPAN equipment and home-grown meshing firmware on 100's of commodity Linksys WiFi routers.  None of this equipment ever suffered any of the problems we are seeing with BTWH.  Sure the meshing firmware had bugs but we fixed them quickly.  My customers would have gone spare if we had told them they needed to reboot on a weekly basis!

Jim-lad
Expert
Message 930 of 1,165

@mikew88 agree 100%.  Some users expect WiFi perfection, sadly nothing in this world is perfect.  BT will often reboot the Homehub every few weeks (though they've never revealed why they do this).  I'm on 24 days now and if it carries on like this, well perfect and if it reboots once a month then I would still be happy.

Obviously lot's of users aren't enjoying such an experience, though why some of us are and they aren't still remains a mystery.

0 Ratings