Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 931 of 1,165

Re: Whole Home WiFi firmware update v1.02.04 build10

@Yorkie29wrote:
MikeW88 - Yes your expectations are much too low. My Apple Airport router was plugged in eight years ago and only ever rebooted when moved, after powercuts etc. 30 days? I'd be upset at having to reboot every 300.

My Apple Time Capsule/Airport Extreme (now in the loft back in it's box) would often have blips and reboot plus the Time Machine backup would regularly get corrupted after a few months.  Just shows we don't all enjoy the same experience with the same products.  My Apple TV is now packing up and only had this around 6 years and that's never been a brilliant experience using 'wireless'. 

0 Ratings
Steve59
Aspiring Expert
Message 932 of 1,165

I think what has been said is that a human intervention to reboot is not really acceptable but a random reboot that recovers without human intervention would/may be acceptable

As I mentioned in an earlier post I am running an experiment with just the 2.4 Router wifi turned on to create a separate wifi SSID, i have then connect a TP Link Smart plug to this and the Primary Whole Hub to the smart plug, currently this has not had any adverse affects with how I was running before (Probably because my router wifi would struggle to reach the second WH Disc to be able to interfere with it, but the Router wifi does not affect Primary Disc at all, all my other wifi devices connect to the WH SSID). So if I get a message that the camera has gone offline, I can just go online to the smart plug switch it off and on and the Whole Home resets its self, again not ideal but a band aid for now.

For repeat reference my set up can go anything from 7 to 21days, currently we are on 5 days

0 Ratings
Palazzo13
Contributor
Message 933 of 1,165

@mikew88wrote:

You see, I don’t see a system reboot after 30 days as meaning the system is faulty, so I wouldn’t have said you had a problem. Are we expecting it to stay up ad infinitum? Surely there can be blips elsewhere in the process, such as bb or router/modem dropouts, or an unusual temporary conflict, which may cause a WH down. If after the reboot it’s fine again for another 30 days, or until the next “event”...we’ll thats just WiFi life, isn’t it? Or are my expectations much too low?

I probably wasn't clear - it only lasted as long as 30 days once.

I had failures at random shorter intervals (6 hours, 3 days, 7 days etc) until I switched to all homeplug backhaul. Was just pointing out that if it runs for 30 days once it doesn't mean it'll always run fo 30 days.

0 Ratings
Jaysel
Aspiring Contributor
Message 934 of 1,165

Perhaps people are forgetting the other issues that have been occurring since the firmware update (although there are deniers that it has anything to do with the update bizarrely)

My biggest bugbear at the moment is that devices seem to go missing from Groups and are added to others. Also, Devices are renamed, and I have to search all devices by MAC address to then rename them back or move them back to the Group that they came from. This is proving a problem for my daughter who has 3 times woken me up to ask me to move her laptop out of a time managed Group when her wifi has been blocked. The reverse also occurs when my young son starts watching movies at 5:00am because his TV has been removed from the Group that should restrict his wifi.

This is not expecting wifi perfection - just that the product works as advertised!

BT are aware of this issue - and have had many reports of it. I was told to wait and be patient. However, Amplifi is looking more tempting every day!

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 935 of 1,165

@Jayselwrote:

Perhaps people are forgetting the other issues that have been occurring since the firmware update (although there are deniers that it has anything to do with the update bizarrely)

My biggest bugbear at the moment is that devices seem to go missing from Groups and are added to others. Also, Devices are renamed, and I have to search all devices by MAC address to then rename them back or move them back to the Group that they came from. This is proving a problem for my daughter who has 3 times woken me up to ask me to move her laptop out of a time managed Group when her wifi has been blocked. The reverse also occurs when my young son starts watching movies at 5:00am because his TV has been removed from the Group that should restrict his wifi.

This is not expecting wifi perfection - just that the product works as advertised!

BT are aware of this issue - and have had many reports of it. I was told to wait and be patient. However, Amplifi is looking more tempting every day!

Then why not just get it and be done with it?  I haven't tried to use groups because we don't need them.  However, all my devices have the same name as they have had for the last few years, no name changes and no suprises.  There again I haven't named any devices myself they are the names that came up when I first joined them to a network about three years ago.

Perhaps this is some of the issue i.e. users are trying to assign groups and names to devices.  Now it's all well and good saying you should be able to, and perhaps this is true.  However, if it's causing issues then I'm all for keeping it simple.  

I have done absolutley nothing to my setup other than transfer from BT HomeHub to BT WholeHome.  I then put the passwords in for each one of my devices afresh (rather than using the HH SSID) and bingo - the system was up and running and has been ever since.

Sometimes simple is actually the best option.

0 Ratings
Yorkie29
Contributor
Message 936 of 1,165

Jim-Lad were you devices purchased together in one pack ? From what I've noted here the problem is certainly exacerbated when trying to link disks bought in separate packs - a must if you need more than three.
0 Ratings
Jaysel
Aspiring Contributor
Message 937 of 1,165

Basically, Amplifi is twice the price, so there is a cost that I cannot afford.

Secondly, I purchased Whole Home Wifi as I have a requirement for the features that it offers.

So now I understand why you are not effected by the upgrade as much as others, because you do not use some of the features that are included. Thats fair enough. But to insinuate that we should not bother using these features and it will work fine is frankly ludicrous. I'm not trying to make it do anything that it shoud not do. In fact, it all worked fine before the firmware upgrade. Also, it was BT that told me that it might have been related to the upgrade!

I pay for the advertised featues, should I not expect them to work?

That's like me saying that my car sun roof leaks, but you saying that its not a problem if you only drive it on sunny days.

Highlighted
foz
Aspiring Expert
Message 938 of 1,165

0 Ratings
foz
Aspiring Expert
Message 939 of 1,165

Jim some of your replies crack me up.
I would suggest that limiting childrens internet access is a MAJOR issue if it's not working correctly.
Regardless if yours is working for your requirements
0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 940 of 1,165

@Yorkie29 no, my disks came together in the same pack.  However, I'm pretty much certain this has nothing to do with this issue as the serial numbers on mine are not consecutive and from looking at them I'd say they weren't even made in the same month.

Rather than disks from different packs being the issue I believe it's more how you join 'new' disks to the network that matters.  From what I've read there's definitely a method to follow and if you don't they won't play nicely together.

0 Ratings