cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jim-lad
Expert
519 Views
Message 941 of 1,165

Re: Whole Home WiFi firmware update v1.02.04 build10


@Jayselwrote:

Basically, Amplifi is twice the price, so there is a cost that I cannot afford.

Secondly, I purchased Whole Home Wifi as I have a requirement for the features that it offers.

So now I understand why you are not effected by the upgrade as much as others, because you do not use some of the features that are included. Thats fair enough. But to insinuate that we should not bother using these features and it will work fine is frankly ludicrous. I'm not trying to make it do anything that it shoud not do. In fact, it all worked fine before the firmware upgrade. Also, it was BT that told me that it might have been related to the upgrade!

I pay for the advertised featues, should I not expect them to work?

That's like me saying that my car sun roof leaks, but you saying that its not a problem if you only drive it on sunny days.

 

 

 


So rather than having a working system (or at least trying the 'basic' approach) you would rather end up with a system that isn't working at all.  

Given we don't yet know how long it will take to fix this issue if it was me I would think 'hey, what have I got to lose'.  Your mind set appears to be 'I've paid for these features so that's the only way I'm going to run them'.  Fine, it's your setup, I was simply relating to you how mine is set up and the fact that I cannot fault this system for my situation.

0 Ratings
Reply
Jim-lad
Expert
516 Views
Message 942 of 1,165

Re: Whole Home WiFi firmware update v1.02.04 build10


@fozwrote:
Jim some of your replies crack me up.
I would suggest that limiting childrens internet access is a MAJOR issue if it's not working correctly.
Regardless if yours is working for your requirements

When I'm building a new PC - and I have and I still do build a few, I don't add all the peripherals and put all the wire ties on and close the lid.  The first thing I do is make sure that it 'posts'.  Then I start to add other components until finally I have the finished article.

This is what I was suggesting might be an option for those having problems i.e. start it at the basic level and if that works maybe stick with it until BT can provide anything more concrete.  It may not make any difference, but there again it might.

And you say my posts crack you up?

0 Ratings
Reply
mikew88
Aspiring Expert
494 Views
Message 943 of 1,165

Re: Whole Home WiFi firmware update v1.02.04 build10


@Yorkie29wrote:
Jim-Lad were you devices purchased together in one pack ? From what I've noted here the problem is certainly exacerbated when trying to link disks bought in separate packs - a must if you need more than three.

I have two twin packs which seem to work fine together...

0 Ratings
Reply
Yorkie29
Contributor
478 Views
Message 944 of 1,165

Re: Whole Home WiFi firmware update v1.02.04 build10

Jim-Lad - The point is that within the same pack BT will have pre-matched them irrespective of serial numbers.  One of the issues still seems to be that it's the firmware that one uses (following BT instructions to the letter) in trying to match units from different packs that is a problem.

Furthermore, the 'flakyness' of the units is definately an issue.  Earlier I posted that lifting a unit a few centimeters to dust beneath it caused it to go from blue to yellow.  It was suggested by some on here that my unit was position at the extreme limit of it's reception (10 feet from unit 1???).  However, if this were true then ALL of my unit suffer the same as touching any of them causes them to change from blue to yellow.  This is NOT normal, or acceptable behaviour!

0 Ratings
Reply
foz
Aspiring Expert
437 Views
Message 945 of 1,165

Re: Whole Home WiFi firmware update v1.02.04 build10

@ jim-lad this is not a PC that your building and however you try to justify your reply this firmware is simply a mess and is not working correctly get a grip mate.
0 Ratings
Reply
tribunepind
Contributor
419 Views
Message 946 of 1,165

Re: Whole Home WiFi firmware update v1.02.04 build10


@Yorkie29wrote:

Jim-Lad - The point is that within the same pack BT will have pre-matched them irrespective of serial numbers.  One of the issues still seems to be that it's the firmware that one uses (following BT instructions to the letter) in trying to match units from different packs that is a problem.

Furthermore, the 'flakyness' of the units is definately an issue.  Earlier I posted that lifting a unit a few centimeters to dust beneath it caused it to go from blue to yellow.  It was suggested by some on here that my unit was position at the extreme limit of it's reception (10 feet from unit 1???).  However, if this were true then ALL of my unit suffer the same as touching any of them causes them to change from blue to yellow.  This is NOT normal, or acceptable behaviour!


I have non matched units working without any issue.  All mine are using ethernet backhaul,  not an issue for me as we have ethernet points in every room but I agree that the wifi mesh facility should also work correctly. 

0 Ratings
Reply
Highlighted
Jim-lad
Expert
416 Views
Message 947 of 1,165

Re: Whole Home WiFi firmware update v1.02.04 build10

@fozI was not claiming this firmware isn't without it's problems (for some). What I said was perhaps it's worth a try keeping the WH in it's most basic form to see if this works.

At working system albeit in basic mode would be preferable to the current situation for some users. Then when BT have a fix tailor it to your needs then.

Surely that's worth a try?
0 Ratings
Reply
Jaysel
Aspiring Contributor
408 Views
Message 948 of 1,165

Re: Whole Home WiFi firmware update v1.02.04 build10

My system works Jim....just that some of the featues I was using have been broken by the firmware update. I either use the Groups and they sometimes screw up - or I don't use the Groups and am unable to block my son from using it all night. There is no other way to "run them"

So I would rather it works some of the time, than to not use it at all. Well, I would rather use it all of the time, obviously 🙂

Either way, I was just pointing out that there where other issues caused by the firmware update that are affecting some people. We have established that you are not effected by this, as you do not use these features. But that is not to say that there is not an issue just because you have not seen it or used the features effected. You seem to be playing devils advocate to the extreme....I'm just not sure why.

Anyway, at least we have established why it works so well for you now 😉

Jim-lad
Expert
340 Views
Message 949 of 1,165

Re: Whole Home WiFi firmware update v1.02.04 build10


@Jayselwrote:

My system works Jim....just that some of the featues I was using have been broken by the firmware update. I either use the Groups and they sometimes screw up - or I don't use the Groups and am unable to block my son from using it all night. There is no other way to "run them"

So I would rather it works some of the time, than to not use it at all. Well, I would rather use it all of the time, obviously 🙂

Either way, I was just pointing out that there where other issues caused by the firmware update that are affecting some people. We have established that you are not effected by this, as you do not use these features. But that is not to say that there is not an issue just because you have not seen it or used the features effected. You seem to be playing devils advocate to the extreme....I'm just not sure why.

Anyway, at least we have established why it works so well for you now 😉


How am I playing devils advocate?  I have acknowledged that 'some users' (no one knows how many) are experiencing a few difficulties on this new firmware.

I was simply advocating that users try something a bit different i.e. run it in 'basic' for the time being.  If this works then surely this is better than it not working and when BT do have a fix then people can go back to configuring their system to suit their own particular needs.

Isnt' this what these forums are all about, sharing knowledge and offering suggestions/solutions?

0 Ratings
Reply
Dean007
Recognised Expert
333 Views
Message 950 of 1,165

Re: Whole Home WiFi firmware update v1.02.04 build10

I have to agree with most of @Jim-lad last post. With so many units now out in the wild, and not all of their customers having the same issue it will be harder for BT to identify and correct the issue. We all agree that issues on products should not happen onces it does you have to wait for a fix that will correct the issue on some without breaking it on others.

BT whilst may not be working on the issues as fast as some would like on their part have offered to replace untits or if you can not wait for a fix try and return the units for a refund as @Jim-lad  said if you can get them working in one way or another that is better than them not working at all. I think everyone agrees its not ideal, but in defence of Jim-lad when you work with products, or have experience in issues like these it makes it things easier to accept than if you dont or havent. 

 

0 Ratings
Reply