cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
foz
Aspiring Expert
Message 971 of 1,165

Re: Whole Home WiFi firmware update v1.02.04 build10

I am just pointing out this thread is about the issues/problems caused by the latest version 1.02.04 build 10 firmware.
It's certainly not a thread to tell people that have issue's to (in other words) put up and shut up.
I have no problem with people saying the firmware works for them.
But Jim's reply back to a post came across quite frankly as rude to me and very condescending.
I suggest a group feature for limiting children's internet access is a serious issue and warrants discussion espically on a thread that was made to discuss the problematic firmware.

Jim-lad
Expert
Message 972 of 1,165

Some of you may be interested in these findings.  Although I have said the firmware works well for me and in the main this is correct, I have come across an issue.

I have been having some issues with my Apple TV - now that is nothing particularly new as it's a fairly old model and they are known to play up now and again.

However, to the point - I had been trying to watch an iTunes film on the ATV when suddenly the screen would momentarily go blank.  The picture would then come back to life then go blank again a minute or two later.  This will go on for around 10 minutes whence the picture would freeze completely then a loss of signal message would come up on screen.  Bear in mind my second disk is on WiFi only.

Just out of curiosity I reconnected the second disk to Ethernet and started to watch the film again.  Voila, the film ran all the way through without interruption.  I've since run the ATV for 11 hours without a blip.  I then unplugged the Disk from Ethernet back haul and within minutes ran into the same issue with the ATV.

I have had no issues with any other WiFi connected product and use the 'on-demand players' extensively, plus Netflix.  I think this demonstrates the difficulty BT must be having e.g. just one product from the myriad of WiFi products I own is causing an issue.  If you scale that up then the task of solving this could be immense.

It does tend to confirm a theory I have that the problem with these disks is 'back haul' related and the fact they have no dedicated channel for this task.

0 Ratings
mikew88
Aspiring Expert
Message 973 of 1,165

@tsr2wrote:

@GeeDocwrote:
If I remember rightly  ... Any subsequent disk to be added should also be initially phyiscally connected by ethernet to the SAME router that the primary was connected before moving it to it's intended location.

As I recall, it was only discs bought separately that had to be connected to the primary by Ethernet at the start. I believe this was the way to assocaite discs to the primary and was not necessary for discs that were already associated?

No, each disc you add after the primary, whether from the same pack or not, MUST be connected initially by Ethernet to the router to pick up the correct WiFi settings. Only after that can you move the discs to wherever you want and switch off your router WiFi...

0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 974 of 1,165

@Jim-lad

I have two Apple TV's one on Apple Beta, one on the current firmware. All connected via a BTW Home with no issues and not had any issues, could this not be an Apple issue rather than BT... its important not to keep adding possibles to the scenario.

As someone who works or has experience in a I.T related industry you should understand that you don't muddy the waters and try and cross reference a fault... Just because you have the symptoms of a cold doesnt mean you have one.. 

By all means create another thread for the issue...

Highlighted
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 975 of 1,165

@foz

I totally agree that possible features should be discussed but maybe create a seperate thread, the majority of this thread is about the firmware update impacting a customers trying to use the device with lots of side topics it makes it hard to see the real issue of the thread... 

If a seperate thread is created the suggestion can be discussed and easier for the product teams to see what people want. 

foz
Aspiring Expert
Message 976 of 1,165

I thought it was a key feature that is advertised with the BTWH system and would impact on customers maybe I am wrong?
Is the BTWH system advertised as requiring Ethernet back haul to work? I'll answer that No!
yet that has been discussed many times to help improve a bad situation, maybe just me but thought this thread was about the firmware and the problems people were having. So if a chap can't post about a firmware related problem that he found and is advertised as working on this product in the correct thread then mods should close this thread as no solution will be found talking about it going around in circles.
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 977 of 1,165

@Dean007- how new are your ATV's? Mine is an ATV2 dating back to 2011. It's odd that it runs on WiFi with backhaul but borks when the disk reverts to WiFi only status.

I was reading the review of this product a few months back in a computer mag and the review raised questions about having no dedicated backhaul channel. The reviewer thought this could lead to bottlenecks.

No one really knows but as a theory it does have merit.
0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 978 of 1,165

@mikew88- are you sure that you first must connect any additional disks to your router before placing it where you want it?

I thought this only applied if you were planning on using your existing routers SSID and settings?

If like me you used the WH SSID instead of using the routers and re-entered all your devices passwords again then you shouldn't adopt this secondary step?
0 Ratings
jimbg
Contributor
Message 979 of 1,165

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 980 of 1,165

@jimbgwrote:

Instructions here:- https://btsupport.custhelp.com/ci/fattach/get/5183270/1512642235/redirect/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8x...

I think as said previously those instructions are for adding a further disk to an existing WH setup.  The initial setup for a new system is supplied in the youtube video.  Pretty rubbish video but it follows the intial setup procedure using the WH app.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXSvd_K2QqY

0 Ratings