Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mikew88
Aspiring Expert
Message 981 of 1,166

Re: Whole Home WiFi firmware update v1.02.04 build10

@Jim-ladwrote:
@mikew88- are you sure that you first must connect any additional disks to your router before placing it where you want it?

I thought this only applied if you were planning on using your existing routers SSID and settings?

If like me you used the WH SSID instead of using the routers and re-entered all your devices passwords again then you shouldn't adopt this secondary step?

All I can tell you is that I have two twin packs. When I first set them up I was getting regular dropouts. I can’t swear I’d connected them all initially to the router but I think I had. However, after getting fed up with the dropouts and reading this thread, I decided to start afresh nearly 4 weeks ago now and factory reset everything. I can definitely swear that I connected every disc initially to the router and got the solid blue light before moving them, as directed by the app. After I connected the primary disc, the app prompted me to add a new disc, even for the matching second disc in the same pack. Then I switched off the router WiFi, so I’m definitely NOT using its SSID or settings. I changed the WH 5ghz channel to 48.  All my devices network settings were erased, and I connected them all to the WH network with a new password. I’ve had no problems for 4 weeks. I can’t say any more than that, make of it what you will.

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 982 of 1,166

@mikew88  the app does invite you to add a second disk and a third etc.  However, that doesn't actually mean to connect it to the router.

I think you will find the youtube link is how the app takes you through the setup process.  That is how I did mine, I didn't connect my second disk to the router first before moving it and I also made sure WiFi was switched off on the router before I started setting up the WH network.

However, I don't think the way you have set up your system again is wrong or adds anything or indeed takes away.  From my reading of the various instructions you have simply used the procedure for adding a disk to an existing network that's all.  It looks as though either method works

0 Ratings
foz
Expert
Message 983 of 1,166

It's my understanding (i maybe wrong) but if all discs are from the same set you only plug the first disc (master) into your LAN (does not need to be plugged into the router directly you can plug into switch), but i thought if separate additional disc are added or twin pack etc you plug each disc in one in one at time to LAN while you still have the master plugging in until you get solid blue light, same for any additional ones you add. Also 5 or 6 I beleive is the max amout of discs if your using the mobile app after that remove app and just use browser.
I think the above just allows you to have every disc on same ssid and password.
0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 984 of 1,166

@foz- my understanding of setup is roughly the same as your explanation. However, I don't think you need to use the router method for additional packs so long as they are all joining a network for the first time.

I think you must use the router method for all additional disks which want to join an existing network.
0 Ratings
choddo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 985 of 1,166

Won't they always be joining an existing network, even if it's the first time they've been used?

I used the "connect-to-router-until-solid-blue-light and then relocate" method for my second set of discs but I don't know if I needed to. It worked anyway and wasn't too much hassle.

0 Ratings
choddo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 986 of 1,166

@mikew88 that's not quite true - I 100% definitely had my wifi on my router turned off when I added my 4 & 5 discs. It had been off for months and in fact I wasn't even using a BT hub.

They get the wifi settings from the primary disc.

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 987 of 1,166

@choddo - no not really.  If you follow the app setup you connect the first disk to the router.  For subequent disks you use the app to place them in your room of choice than switch on the disk.  Once you have finished all the disks that then becomes the 'mesh network'.  

It would only be disks added at a later date that would be joining an existing network i.e. once you have added your devices passwords etc.

It doesn't seem to matter though as it appears either method works okay.

0 Ratings
philtrick
Aspiring Contributor
Message 988 of 1,166

I have issues using ethernet backhaul- https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Devices/BT-Whole-Home-WIFI-Unable-to-have-2-Discs-connected-via-cable...

Is this related to the ongoing firmware issues?

0 Ratings
choddo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 989 of 1,166

Sorry @Jim-lad - for clarification, I was only talking about discs added from a 2nd pack.

0 Ratings
mikew88
Aspiring Expert
Message 990 of 1,166

The app definitely told me to connect all discs, including the one from the same pack as the primary, to the router while keeping the primary connected too, wait for solid blue light, switch off and move to desired location, use app to ok the location as good, then switch on. Only after that did I switch my router WiFi off. The only network I see in my options are the WH one and my Sky Q network. We obviously don’t go near the Sky Q and connect all devices with the new WH password to the WH network. I guess whichever way you do it the discs pick up the same WiFi settings, be it either from the primary or the router. My topology has always shown all discs linking straight to the primary, never a daisy chain from one disc to another. Oh well, it works so I’m not going to mess with it.

0 Ratings