cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
philtrick
Aspiring Contributor
Message 991 of 1,165

Re: Whole Home WiFi firmware update v1.02.04 build10

Just spoke to the helpdesk again and they are going to trial new firmware this week and possibly roll out next week if all is well.

foz
Aspiring Expert
Message 992 of 1,165

@philtrickwrote:

Just spoke to the helpdesk again and they are going to trial new firmware this week and possibly roll out next week if all is well.

thats great news thanks for the update,

0 Ratings
foz
Aspiring Expert
Message 993 of 1,165

@mikew88wrote:

The app definitely told me to connect all discs, including the one from the same pack as the primary, to the router while keeping the primary connected too, wait for solid blue light, switch off and move to desired location, use app to ok the location as good, then switch on. Only after that did I switch my router WiFi off. The only network I see in my options are the WH one and my Sky Q network. We obviously don’t go near the Sky Q and connect all devices with the new WH password to the WH network. I guess whichever way you do it the discs pick up the same WiFi settings, be it either from the primary or the router. My topology has always shown all discs linking straight to the primary, never a daisy chain from one disc to another. Oh well, it works so I’m not going to mess with it.

If your topology shows straight linked i assume your Ethernet backhaul? 

i think they show as daisy when they link over Wi-Fi, so it shows you what discs its linking to?

(i could be wrong)

0 Ratings
Forthay
Contributor
Message 994 of 1,165

@fozwrote:

@mikew88wrote:

The app definitely told me to connect all discs, including the one from the same pack as the primary, to the router while keeping the primary connected too, wait for solid blue light, switch off and move to desired location, use app to ok the location as good, then switch on. Only after that did I switch my router WiFi off. The only network I see in my options are the WH one and my Sky Q network. We obviously don’t go near the Sky Q and connect all devices with the new WH password to the WH network. I guess whichever way you do it the discs pick up the same WiFi settings, be it either from the primary or the router. My topology has always shown all discs linking straight to the primary, never a daisy chain from one disc to another. Oh well, it works so I’m not going to mess with it.

i think they show as daisy when they link over Wi-Fi, so it shows you what discs its linking to?

(i could be wrong)

Mines are all linked back to the primary disc and I’m not using Ethernet backhaul.

Ive only once seen a third disc attached to a secondary disc that then linked to the primary.

hopefully the trials go well this week and we see an official update next week.

0 Ratings
foz
Aspiring Expert
Message 995 of 1,165

@Forthaywrote:

@fozwrote:

@mikew88wrote:

(i could be wrong)

Mines are all linked back to the primary disc and I’m not using Ethernet backhaul.

Ive only once seen a third disc attached to a secondary disc that then linked to the primary.

thats interesting thanks for pointing that out (i did only assume), Do you have your master in the middle of your setup or further away if that makes sence? 

e.g. spread over 3 or 4 stories master on the middle floor?

Maybe because my 5 disc setup is spread over a 3 storey house with master on ground floor, but whenever I've had mine set to Wi-Fi mine always seemed to dasiy chain, so i would now assume it's because the furthest one can not connect direct to the master.  But with Ethernet they straight link.

0 Ratings
mikew88
Aspiring Expert
Message 996 of 1,165

@fozwrote:

@mikew88wrote:

(i could be wrong)

No,no Ethernet backhaul, just good old WiFi...if there is new firmware, I hope we get the option not to update unless we choose to

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 997 of 1,165

- I have replied in your thread about subsequent Ethernet connected disk switching to primary, which mine has done.

You also appear to be stating that when you do this you get two separate systems running. I assume when you connect another disk by Ethernet that circuit is connected to your router, either by a Homeplug network or some sort of switch? What I'm trying to say is both disks have to be on the same Ethernet connected network, so at some point both your initial connected disk and your cat5 connected disk have to join the same router.
0 Ratings
philtrick
Aspiring Contributor
Message 998 of 1,165

Yes they are both on the same network. 

Disc 1 is plugged directly into my router (Draytek)

Disc 2 is plugged in via a homeplug which connects back to the same router as Disc 1. I've tested the homeplug connection and all is ok with it. 

Disc 3 is currently in my garage at the bottom of the garden (network cable to be installed in ~4 weeks). I wanted to use it as a temp bridge connection for some IP cameras. When I tried it it works well. There is obviously some auto mechanism within the disc code to sense if the ethernet cable is connected to the router or not. Note- During testing of Disc 1 and Disc 2 I turned  Disc 3 off

Ultimately i want all 3 Discs to be connected back to the router, and hopefully get the best wifi speeds that way.

0 Ratings
foz
Aspiring Expert
Message 999 of 1,165

Just tried IP Addressing and that is broken it seems,
i have 2 gateways out on to the Net, Main via my Draytek router x.x.49.254 and the other through my NAS x.x.49.50 which is set up as a pass-through gateway that’s running a paid VPN service. (I've had this set up for 3 years and works without issues)
if i set static IP's for the WH disc's and set the gateway through the VPN .50 its still routing it though my Draytek .254 giving me my fixed WAN IP address, so none of the Wi-Fi would be protected behind the VPN.
It’s not a problem because i normally just let the WH connect to the Draytek and then set the mobile device with static ip and use the .50 gateway to be behind the VPN but just thought i would test it and its not working as it should.
No relevance to most of the problems reported but still not working as expected.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Forthay
Contributor
Message 1000 of 1,165

@fozwrote:

@Forthaywrote:

@fozwrote:

@mikew88wrote:

(i could be wrong)

thats interesting thanks for pointing that out (i did only assume), Do you have your master in the middle of your setup or further away if that makes sence? 

e.g. spread over 3 or 4 stories master on the middle floor?

Maybe because my 5 disc setup is spread over a 3 storey house with master on ground floor, but whenever I've had mine set to Wi-Fi mine always seemed to dasiy chain, so i would now assume it's because the furthest one can not connect direct to the master.  But with Ethernet they straight link.

No worries, just sharing what I see in the app in comparison as to what my physical layout is.

I think what you are seeing is right, it's just choosing the optimal route depending on various factors.

My main disc is downstairs in the centre of the house attached to the router with 1 disc in a front room and 2 discs at the rear.

The extra disc in the rear is to give garden coverage. I tried putting a disc in the garage over ethernet but it significantly dropped the speeds for me.

2 discs upstairs on a single floor - we live in a bungalow with a converted attic.

All disc report either excellent or good signals so likely it's worked out there no need to daisy chain and all go straight back to the router.

I have seen a daisy chain topology once between a 2nd/3rd disc but never again and no difference in the physical location. However, I cannot remember which ones where chaining to confirm their location.

0 Ratings