cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 1041 of 1,165

Re: Whole Home WiFi firmware update v1.02.04 build10

Having disabled AP Steering I have noticed an immediate improvement with my barometer device - my Apple TV.  I was trying to run a film on the ATV as a further test, but even with Ethernet backhaul I was still getting a momentary 'blank screen' roughly ever couple of minutes.

The screen was blanking out even as I was altering AP Steering in the settings screen.  Within around a minute of me saving the new settings the blank screen issue stopped and the ATV then ran the film without further incident up to the end some 2 hours later. 

Band Steering which is also disabled does not appear to have affected my devices as they are still selecting either the 2.4 MHz or 5 MHz frequency.

There may be something in what others have said about Apple tech not playing nicely with AP Steering.

0 Ratings
Steve59
Aspiring Expert
Message 1042 of 1,165

Check out my Steering settings, you can have band steering enabled as well as AP Steering Disabled, you just have to play with the order in which you change them, then once saved go back and check what has been saved, Glad the Steering Advice is again helping others as this was supposed to be better (which it is) on the latest firmware but I as well as others have found that certain Apple products just do not like it

Steering.jpeg

0 Ratings
siwhite
Contributor
Message 1043 of 1,165

@Jim-ladwrote:

Having disabled AP Steering I have noticed an immediate improvement with my barometer device - my Apple TV.  I was trying to run a film on the ATV as a further test, but even with Ethernet backhaul I was still getting a momentary 'blank screen' roughly ever couple of minutes.

The screen was blanking out even as I was altering AP Steering in the settings screen.  Within around a minute of me saving the new settings the blank screen issue stopped and the ATV then ran the film without further incident up to the end some 2 hours later. 

Band Steering which is also disabled does not appear to have affected my devices as they are still selecting either the 2.4 MHz or 5 MHz frequency.

There may be something in what others have said about Apple tech not playing nicely with AP Steering.

Pretty much all of my kit is Apple.  I’ve left the steering settings alone and I’m not seeing any problems of the sort described.  All 6 discs are using Ethernet backhaul fwiw.  My Apple TV 4 isn’t suffering with the sort of problems you are describing @Jim-lad but that too is connected via Ethernet. Phones, iPads various and MacBook Pros all using Wi-Fi behave as expected. #gofigure.

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 1044 of 1,165

@siwhite- thing is your Apple TV is new generation not from 2011, plus you are using Ethernet, I'm using Wi-Fi, so not strictly like for like.
0 Ratings
siwhite
Contributor
Message 1045 of 1,165

@Jim-ladwrote:
@siwhite- thing is your Apple TV is new generation not from 2011, plus you are using Ethernet, I'm using Wi-Fi, so not strictly like for like.

Yeah, that's fair.  

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 1046 of 1,165

Good morning everyone,

I am pleased to let you know that I have confirmation from the Product team that a new firmware is in the final phases of testing as some of you have already mentioned earlier.

It's too early to give an update on timescales on the full roll out as it depends how the testing goes.  However, as soon as I know more I will update the thread.

Thanks for your continued patience.

Cheers

Sean

foz
Aspiring Expert
Message 1047 of 1,165

Many thanks for the update Sean

0 Ratings
brummygit
Aspiring Expert
Message 1048 of 1,165

Happy to Beta test if it helps
0 Ratings
jimbg
Contributor
Message 1049 of 1,165

Will you also post a list of the changes/fixes in this new release?

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 1050 of 1,165

@jimbgwrote:

Will you also post a list of the changes/fixes in this new release?

More importantly can we stop auto update so we can wait to see if it bricks other people's devices before we update our own kit? Smiley Indifferent

Our Youview box is currently hit and miss with what it records.  Big thread on this forum about this issue which looks as though it could overtake the WholeHome thread if not solved before long.  Last thing I need is more BT kit on the blink.

0 Ratings