cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
foz
Aspiring Expert
Message 1051 of 1,165

Re: Whole Home WiFi firmware update v1.02.04 build10

I thought it was deemed illegal to force a customer update ? Didn't Apple get taken to court over that years back? I seem to remember something about it.
0 Ratings
jaybeetoo
Aspiring Expert
Message 1052 of 1,165

@brummygitwrote:
Happy to Beta test if it helps

Given past performance we’ll all be beta testing it! 😂

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 1053 of 1,165

@foz - well I can tell you from personal experience that the Humax Freesat box auto updates whether you want the update or not and they are not the only ones guilty of this practice.

0 Ratings
foz
Aspiring Expert
Message 1054 of 1,165

Block humax update with firewall if you dont want it to update, maybe wrong about court case but I seem to remember a forced ios update that kicked up a massive outrage. 

@Jim-ladwrote:

@foz - well I can tell you from personal experience that the Humax Freesat box auto updates whether you want the update or not and they are not the only ones guilty of this practice.

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 1055 of 1,165

@fozwrote:

Block humax update with firewall if you dont want it to update, maybe wrong about court case but I seem to remember a forced ios update that kicked up a massive outrage. 

@Jim-ladwrote:

Thing is the box goes through a 'housekeeping' phase around 03:00 every night.  The only way to block the Humax is to block its access to the Internet.  If you do that then you will lose a lot of the functionality.  Were you to download the old software (and you can) the next time it goes through housekeeping it will update you to the newest software/firmware again.

0 Ratings
foz
Aspiring Expert
Message 1056 of 1,165

You could sniff ip and block with firewall the update url or if you have got sftp or ftp you should be able to find the address and block that same way or edit it may even find it with google search but that shouldnt affect the use of the box in anyway other than stopping the update.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
RS4
Contributor
Message 1057 of 1,165

@foz whilst I totally advocate taking back control using a firewall to prevent automatic updates, unfortunately, technically (although not typical) it is totally possible that the device in question uses the same protocol and same endpoint, and even the same request, for both firmware updates and acceptable normal functionality (such as daily epg updates), thus meaning it may not be a simple firewall block but requiring more detailed packet inspection not possible on commodity gateway routers.  

I don’t have a humax so cannot advise on that device specifically, but the chances are it uses different endpoints and someone can share what needs to be blocked to only prevent automatic firmware updates.

With the increasing number of internet connected devices and the increasing number of attacks against them, one option for protection is to totally block such devices access to the internet, both in and out bound, then to manually download firmware updates from a known safe source and apply those updates only when you decide to do so.  Of course that can be tedious and relies on the device having a manual firmware upload option.  (BTWH doesn’t provide that option)

On the flip side, automatic updates do allow a vendor to ensure the device is protected against known security threats as soon as possible, assuming the vendor releases firmware updates in a timely fashion. So automatic firmware updates are good for some situations or consumers that don’t want to manually maintain their devices.  But consumers should always have the choice!  (BTWH doesn’t provide the choice)

0 Ratings
foz
Aspiring Expert
Message 1058 of 1,165

Yes I totally agree 100% was just making jim aware it maybe possible if he really didn't want it to update. Its highly possible that just delaying an update for two weeks would benefit alot if people, basically wait to see the reports back about any related problems.
0 Ratings
RS4
Contributor
Message 1059 of 1,165

@fozyes totally agree.

I think one thing that should be learnt by all readers of this forum, even if you did not suffer any ill effects from this firmware yourself, is that you should think twice before loading the latest firmware from BT as there is no back-out option!!

Sure, if you are currently broken then you may have nothing to lose.

If I still had my BTWH (which I don’t) then I most certainly would make sure:
- auto firmware updates disabled (although that seems to be less than reliable based on comments)
- physically disconnect one of the discs to act as a roll-back source
- wait, let others find out if it is stable first!

0 Ratings
B1998
Contributor
Message 1060 of 1,165

Personally, I'll keep mine on auto-update (but I understand why some won't). Build 10 improved things for me and I had none of the issue some of you guys were seeing. On the contrary, I had some devices randomly disconnecting with previous Build 3. That problem went away with Build 10 so I was happy to get it.

I think this just shows that different home environments will have different behaviour; I guess that's expected? I hope the software currently under test which SeanD mentioned will help those of you who are seeing the connectivity problem.

0 Ratings