cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JohnfromUK
Contributor
Message 1071 of 1,165

Re: Whole Home WiFi firmware update v1.02.04 build10

My system was giving a lot of problems (intermittant loss of internet many times a day on my laptop). 

I have followed the advice given on this thread (specifically in respect of disabling Access Point (AP) Steering, but also in more careful sighting of the discs) - and I now have a system that works very well. 

I have the 'master disc' wire connected directly to my Home Hub, and two 'slave discs' on WiFi.  All has now been running well since I made thse changes (12 days now with no problems).

I believe another thread contributor has had a similar experience after disabling AP steering.

My biggest 'gripe' would be that this setting to disable the AP steering is in a 'hidden' menu, and no guidance is given from BT (as far as I know anyway) on how and when to use it.  Like many modern IT based products the documentation supplied is woefully inadequate, and there doesn't seem to be a good on line site covering for this either.  My solution came via a contributor on this forum.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Paul_31
Aspiring Expert
Message 1072 of 1,165

@mikew88
Thank you for the reassurance that there's more than a good chance I wasted my money 🙂

Usually on support forums like this one you mostly get the negative reports. It's the same on the Sky Q and Apple support forums. But that's no surprise as the forums are there to help people with problems and are not usually visited by people just to say how happy they are with their purchase.

Doing research elsewhere on the web, and talking to a couple of people I know who already have BT WholeHome WiFi installed I happy that I decided to buy the discs. I've now got a full, fast wifi signal in every part of my house - not had that before.

0 Ratings
Jaysel
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1073 of 1,165

I made the stupid mistake of pausing the wifi and since then I have not been able to get some of my devices back on. I have rebootted all the disks, reconnected from the dropped devices, checked that they are not blocked within the app - but nothing works.

I will phone BT for advice, but I fear it is a factory reset again.

0 Ratings
B1998
Contributor
Message 1074 of 1,165

@Jayselwrote:

I made the stupid mistake of pausing the wifi and since then I have not been able to get some of my devices back on. I have rebootted all the disks, reconnected from the dropped devices, checked that they are not blocked within the app - but nothing works.

I will phone BT for advice, but I fear it is a factory reset again.

Rather than a full reset, and if you're using access control and groups in the app, have you tried removing all your devices from any access control groups? There appears to be a known bug reported where the devices get given names or lose their name in the app.

Then check if all your devices now work properly.

Then add them back into your groups one by one until you identify the ones that get blocked unintentionally.

0 Ratings
dwl99
Beginner
Message 1075 of 1,165

To save having to search for how to do this:

1. Go to http://mybtdevice.home on a device connected to Whole Home Wi-Fi
   2. Log in with the admin password
   3. Now go to  http://mybtdevice.home/steering.htm which is a system configuration  page
   4. Set "All Steering" (bottom option) to disabled and press the Save button. Refresh the page and confirm it still shows as disabled.
   5. Restart the Whole Home Wi-Fi discs

Please note with the above short-term workaround, some of your devices may retain poor connections.  
If this happens, you can reconnect manually to fix this, which may involve turning Wi-Fi off and on again on that device.

dgilbert2
Expert
Message 1076 of 1,165

Are there any clues at all at the moment when the next firmware update will be available to hopefully resolve the many posted BTWH problems experinced by some?

thanks

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 1077 of 1,165

To be perfectly honest, although I haven't really had issues with the new firmware I have tried different configurations e.g. disabling steering, Ethernet backhaul etc.  However, I decided to put them back as intended i.e. just the primary connected to the router with the other on wifi.  After a couple of days everything settled down and I haven't experienced a moments trouble with them since.

I'm sure they are working better now I know I've saved £50 on what retailers are currently charging for them.  I wonder why they have hiked up the price so much?

0 Ratings
foz
Aspiring Expert
Message 1078 of 1,165

Sean any reports back on the alpha/beta testing new firmware ? Are you on a release candidate yet?
0 Ratings
Jaysel
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1079 of 1,165

Thanks B1998 

That worked a treat!

I am waiting for replacement hubs from BT now, with the old firmware. Should be with me in the next couple of weeks

0 Ratings
foz
Aspiring Expert
Message 1080 of 1,165

Still waiting for said update!! 

i wished BT would keep us informed of progress (If any)

If this firmware is all that someone/team has been working on for 5 months can i get a job please? LOL

0 Ratings