Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RS4
Contributor
Message 1101 of 1,166

Re: Whole Home WiFi firmware update v1.02.04 build10

@mikew88  lol 

No, I have nothing to do with Ubiquiti other than being a new customer/user.  I've had UniFi AP's now for maybe 3 months I think, and very happy, no issues so far.

I am glad for you that you don't have any problems and you are happy with BTWH, but I could ask why you also frequent this forum if you dont have any problems?  I am sure your reason, like mine, would be to try and offer some assistance, if at all possible, to others that are having problems.  If everyone that resovled thier problem left the forum then the forum would provide little benefit to people that join it before the problem is fully resolved.

I do still take an interest as I have 30 years in the IT industry, a global tehcnical marketing/architect for one of the largest IT companies in the world.  As a result I also get asked quite often to help neighbours and therefore like to keep abreast of what is going on.  I'm also keen to learn if someone does identify a resolution or when/if the next firmware does resolve the problems being experienced - I just want to know as I was an affected customer also.

I invested in BTWH myself when it first launched, it seemed like a good package and had the features I wanted that alternatives did not at that time; but in my view, it has been let down by poor product management and product development and support.

RS4
Contributor
Message 1102 of 1,166

@foz regards you question.

I purchased a 3xPack when they first launched, then an additional 2xAddOnPack end of 2017.

I did at least 3 firmware upgrades that I can recall, although the later 2xAddOns perhaps only had a single upgrade.

My installation on Build 10 was basically unusable, consistently multiple failures per day. (Circa 25+ wifi devices,  1x Ethernet backhaul, 4x satellites, 2-storey house built 1999)

0 Ratings
AndrewH13
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1103 of 1,166

Updated day I bought to build 10, about 10 weeks ago. Then read this thread same evening! But been lucky, never dropped and provided good WiFi.
0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 1104 of 1,166

@mikew88wrote:

@RS4wrote:

I think you will be very pleased with that decision - I know I am - I am now stress free, no more "Dad! The WiFi has gone again!"

I have a couple of UniFi AP-HD and a UniFi AP-AC-Mesh, although a single AP-HD was able to provide the same coverage I achieved with a 5x disk BTWH solution.  The second AP-HD and AP-AC-Mesh are more for luxury tbh.

I have also now replaced my aging router with the UniFi Secure Gateway, and the data metrics and insight into what the internet traffic actually is, and who is doing it, is amazing.

Yes this is slightly more expensive than the BTWH, but it is in a totally different league.

Interestingly, Ubiquiti have just announced a new firmware update for thier CCTV NVR solution.  Not only do they provide Release Notes (unlike BT) they also make it a user choice to upgrade (debateable with BT), plus they even provide downgrade instructions in case you wish to do so (unlike BT).   Basically the customer is in control of decisions about how they maintain the equipment, which is afterall owned by the customer.

For those choosing to wait for BT, this is not the first mess up BT have made with firmware on BTWH, although it is by far the worst.  I wish you good luck.

So you’ve been with the Ubiquiti system for how long now? ....yet you still frequent this forum. You sure you don’t work for Ubiquiti? Anyway, over 2 months now my WH system has been running on the new firmware and not a hiccup...stress free here too!

Same here, - it just works. 

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 1105 of 1,166

@Paul_31wrote:

I’ve only been running my 3 disc BTWholeHome system, using build 10 firmware, for a week and so far as I can tell it hasn’t missed a beat. Strange how everyone’s experience seems to vary.

I’m not trying to sound smug just because my system seems tickety-boo - I’m only posting this comment for balance for any visitors reading this thread. BTWH is not a disaster for everybody.

Indeed not.  Given BT has just increased it's prices for the WH system and by some margin, they must be doing something right.

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 1106 of 1,166

@fozwrote:
If replying back please state if you have issues or no issues.
Mine are pretty stable with Ethernet backhaul but I removed 1 disc recently to test using Wi-Fi again snd that disc requires a reboot every 2-7 days
I just worried that mine will be 12 months old soon so if I am to return them I better get it sorted. Just worries me that new firmware will not arrive I fail to see how a fix can take 5 months
I think build 10 was my 3rd update

The 12 month figure is irrelevant, especially given BT has acknowledged there is an issue.  You have up to 6 years to make a claim.

0 Ratings
foz
Aspiring Expert
Message 1107 of 1,166

@Jim-ladwrote:

@Paul_31wrote:

I’ve only been running my 3 disc BTWholeHome system, using build 10 firmware, for a week and so far as I can tell it hasn’t missed a beat. Strange how everyone’s experience seems to vary.

I’m not trying to sound smug just because my system seems tickety-boo - I’m only posting this comment for balance for any visitors reading this thread. BTWH is not a disaster for everybody.

Indeed not.  Given BT has just increased it's prices for the WH system and by some margin, they must be doing something right.

The tripe pack is £199 in BT shop pretty sure they were £189 previously. You think 5 months to fix a firmware issue is doing somthing right? 

https://www.shop.bt.com/learnmore/bt-branded-products-and-services/bt-whole-home-wi-fi/

0 Ratings
JohnfromUK
Contributor
Message 1108 of 1,166

My set of 3 was certainly £189 (from Currys).

0 Ratings
B1998
Contributor
Message 1109 of 1,166

@fozwrote:

The tripe pack is £199 in BT shop pretty sure they were £189 previously. You think 5 months to fix a firmware issue is doing somthing right? 

In my calendar, it's just over 3 months; not 5. Update was end of Feb (start of this thread). Not sure exactly when the first issues were reported, but by the time there were enough reports and evidence for BT to look into it I would have thought that was a couple of weeks after into mid-March, so just over 3 months from now.

3-4 months to develop, test and trial doesn't seem abnormal at all if the issue is hard to reproduce and fix. The trials I've been on with BT have lasted any where between 4-8 weeks. But I appreciate it may seem long for the people affected. No doubt about that...

0 Ratings
mikew88
Aspiring Expert
Message 1110 of 1,166

@B1998 Well pointed out and good that some people are keeping a sense of perspective. Must be tricky to diagnose a problem when it could only be being experienced by a relatively small number of customers and every customer has a different environment and extraneous influences that WH is being asked to operate in. Glad I don’t have to do it...

0 Ratings