Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mikew88
Aspiring Expert
Message 1121 of 1,165

Re: Whole Home WiFi firmware update v1.02.04 build10

@MTGwrote:

Not been here for a month or so and thought I'd check in on progress towards a fix....

None I see. Great work BT.

Has anyone got in touch wirth Watchdog about this? They'd be all over it. Alas no time myself at the moment but if not fixed in a few weeks I'll do it.

Yeah right, as if Watchdog would be all over this...a few gripers whinging on a forum doesn’t get Matt Allrights attention...reset your system properly dude.

MTG
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1122 of 1,165

Well that’s a helpful and intelligent response.

BT customer support is in fact a regular topic so there is every chance…. oh why bother explaining to the pond life…. 

To anyone interested, received this message from BT tonight (apologies if covered already, I unsubscribed due to the many pointless posts like the previous one):

“Next week, we're releasing new software for the Whole Home Wi-Fi that includes a patch for the Wi-Fi connection issues you were experiencing before we sent you the replacement discs with a previous software version. This new software should significantly improve the reliability of the connection for the majority of customers.

However, before you think of upgrading your discs, we wanted to inform you that whilst our testing showed that this latest update should solve the problem for the majority of customers who did experience these issues, our trials unfortunately showed that it may not completely fix the issue in all cases. We have already started on a new release to follow on from this update that will include an updated wireless driver, and should help fix the issue for all of our customers. 

So, if you're currently happy with the reliability of your Whole Home network on software v1.02.03build03, we recommend you keep auto-update switched off, skip this new release and wait for the future release to upgrade your discs. We'll let you know by email later this summer when it becomes available.

Monday's update has no new features so you're not missing out.

If you have any questions or would like to discuss this further, please reply to this email.”

So it’s fixed for some, perhaps.

BT didn’t replace my kit, I did that myself so not sure why I even received this message.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
prowlmedia
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1123 of 1,165

@MTGwrote:

Not been here for a month or so and thought I'd check in on progress towards a fix....

Has anyone got in touch wirth Watchdog about this? They'd be all over it. Alas no time myself at the moment but if not fixed in a few weeks I'll do it.

Same here. I jumped ship to orbi. Awesome connection and way faster. Ironically they did an update that did a similar thing - random disconnects to the client not the router that do reconnect after a minute - the BIG difference is you can wind the firmware back... but didn’t have to as they fixed it in 2 days.   How is 5 months acceptable.  At least they acknowledge it and issue refund / rma numbers 

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 1124 of 1,165

Well given build 10 for me produces no issues, just great WiFi, I have made doubly sure auto update is switched off.  I'll let others update their kit first and wait to see what happens.

Hopefully some users who aren't having issues now will have auto updates switched to ON.  If they then start posting on this forum their WH kit has suddenly started to have issues I will know to steer well clear of it.

I'll be Captain Mainwaring and order Pike to go first. Smiley Very Happy

0 Ratings
Steve59
Aspiring Expert
Message 1125 of 1,165

What a worrying statement from BT, the firmware may help some but not others, if you are happy stay put

BT offer a roll back function to cover all bases, then those that are working “fairly” well could test it without worry,

My system is fairly stable but not unstable enough to be an early adopter

Whoever upgrades please start a new thread with the new version - Thanks
0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 1126 of 1,165

@prowlmediawrote:

@MTGwrote:

Same here. I jumped ship to orbi. Awesome connection and way faster. 

Way faster really? - these are the specs for BT HW, Orbi and Velop

Reported max transfer BT WH 515Mb/s  Orbi 435Mbps  Velop 450Mb/s

BTW the £95 price for the 2 disk WH has been at that price for at least the last six months according to online sites.

mikew88
Aspiring Expert
Message 1127 of 1,165

@MTG So no time to pen a letter to Watchdog, but plenty of time to come on here and have a good whinge (which is not at all helpful to anyone) and call people pondlife...you’re a class act! At least I’ve tried to inform people what tweaks  I made to stabilise my system, but you can only repeat yourself so much.  I’ve concluded that outside of Jim and a few others, this is mainly a forum used to denigrate WH and promote other systems...look forward to the new firmware thread but I’ll join Jim in letting others go first and watch with interest

MTG
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1128 of 1,165

You have me wrong,

I love the BT system and bought a new one after discovering the ‘fault’ and attempting many things; reconfiguration of all the discs, including physically swapping and factory resetting them; disabled steering; tried every connotation of band - nothing gave more than 24 hours uptime.

I work away from home, need remote access to some wirelessly connected devices and a reliable system for the family. I still want that from the BT system as it worked great before the update. Like my Sky Q system, I have no issue in restarting the whole setup every few weeks - that’s perfectly acceptable for this kind of technology.

What is not acceptable is releasing and update - with no release notes to explain changes - and not having the customer service capacity and capability to deal with the fallout. I’ve been in services for 20 years, that’s is 100% unacceptable. In my sector people die from this sort of error - perhaps my expectations are too high as a result.

My offence was to your initial response to me which was perhaps driven by frustration to others rather than my simple question. It was unfair and uninformed.

Good on you for providing successful help to even one person though - that’s what forums are for, not for telling people to ‘get over it’ (paraphrasing).
0 Ratings
Message 1129 of 1,165

Hi Everyone,

Please keep it friendly and on topic.

Thanks

0 Ratings
mikew88
Aspiring Expert
Message 1130 of 1,165

@MTG Fair enough, Friday night frustration has now become Saturday serenity...we’re all on the same side ultimately in the battle for great WiFi, but calling folk pondlife wasn’t too clever imo. At least you are a WH customer and maintain a genuine vested interest....

0 Ratings