Message 561 of 1,165

Re: Whole Home WiFi firmware update v1.02.04 build10

Mine are on v1.02.01 build22

0 Ratings
agaskew
Aspiring Contributor
Message 562 of 1,165

Well, this thread makes me sad for those suffering issues.   My 3-disc setup is running v1.02.03 build03 and runs fine.  The system has been up for 60+ days.

Before applying any firmware update, I come here and have a look, and always think  "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Shame on BT, word is spreading: https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/03/firmware-update-causes-problems-for-bts-whole-home-wi-...  

Question: Where do BT publish the new features in each firmware release?

0 Ratings
Yorkie29
Contributor
Message 563 of 1,165

@Steve59

@Yorkie29, problem you are seeing was typical with the previous firmware if you reboot the poor disc it may find the good connection

Thanks for replying.  Have rebooted that disk individually twice now and restarted the whole system once.  Still Orange whereas for 19 days it was blue.  I note that the mybthome website indicates that that problem disk is operating at 2.4GHz whereas prior is, like all the others were 5GHz. Also I note that my wife's laptop still attaches to the disk in my study even though the disk in her study is equidistant (near as makes no difference) in a stright line between the two.  Isn't one of the big seling points that devices latch onto the nearest/strongest signal?
0 Ratings
jimbg
Contributor
Message 564 of 1,165

This release is supposed to give priorty to a daisy chain configuration if it can.

My setup has always been a daisy chain between the different floors of the house and is working just as well now as before the upgrade.

Have other peoples systems changed from a good working star configuration to a less viable daisy chain?

Is that part of the problem?

0 Ratings
foz
Aspiring Expert
Message 565 of 1,165

@agaskewwrote:

Well, this thread makes me sad for those suffering issues.   My 3-disc setup is running v1.02.03 build03 and runs fine.  The system has been up for 60+ days.

Before applying any firmware update, I come here and have a look, and always think  "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Shame on BT, word is spreading: https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/03/firmware-update-causes-problems-for-bts-whole-home-wi-...  

Good they may do more to fix the problem...!

A very simple solution  would be roll out a new build maybe with NO fixes to current problems but giving us the option to downgrade firmware, everything seemed to work for us all in previous version !!

It's not rocket science !! 

I find the whole issue with these Discs leaving me with a bitter taste in my mouth after recommending these to friends.

0 Ratings
Breadmaker
Aspiring Contributor
Message 566 of 1,165

Fyi I've had some more phone and email communication with the support team today and they still have NO idea when this is going to be fixed.

This may not be helped by the fact that during my conversation today, I was told the person dealing with it was on holiday! I hope they mean the person dealing with my case and not the whole problem...but I fear the worst that only one person is assigned to the issue, hence the timescale we are experiencing for a fix!!
0 Ratings
DavR0s
Aspiring Contributor
Message 567 of 1,165

Must admit I’m rapidly losing patience. I’ve worked in software ops and the fact that we are 2months+ into this issue without any expectation of a resolution. They either don’t have software controls in place, have no idea what the problem is or simply don’t care. I bought these discs for the advertised “ease of use” and I can’t be bothered to spend hours fiddling with this kit so I’m making plans to return them and swap them out for something else. I was considering going bt for my broadband and other services but after this episode they can forget it
0 Ratings
Steve59
Aspiring Expert
Message 568 of 1,165

@fozwrote:

@agaskewwrote:

Good they may do more to fix the problem...!

A very simple solution  would be roll out a new build maybe with NO fixes to current problems but giving us the option to downgrade firmware, everything seemed to work for us all in previous version !!

It's not rocket science !! 

I find the whole issue with these Discs leaving me with a bitter taste in my mouth after recommending these to friends.

Sorry @foz, my situation is better on the current version, not perfect but better, at least my discs now find the strongest signals, I have disabled AP Steering as my Macbook does not like to be steered

0 Ratings
Steve59
Aspiring Expert
Message 569 of 1,165

@Yorkie29wrote:

@Steve59

@Yorkie29, problem you are seeing was typical with the previous firmware if you reboot the poor disc it may find the good connection

Thanks for replying.  Have rebooted that disk individually twice now and restarted the whole system once.  Still Orange whereas for 19 days it was blue.  I note that the mybthome website indicates that that problem disk is operating at 2.4GHz whereas prior is, like all the others were 5GHz. Also I note that my wife's laptop still attaches to the disk in my study even though the disk in her study is equidistant (near as makes no difference) in a stright line between the two.  Isn't one of the big seling points that devices latch onto the nearest/strongest signal?

Yes @Yorkie29 if it is showing orange then it has chosen the 2.4ghz band, just humour the disc by moving it closer to the disc it is trying to connect to to see if it connects on blue 5ghz

0 Ratings
mikew88
Aspiring Expert
Message 570 of 1,165

I wonder if Apple products not liking steering is a common issue as my iPad Air didn't seem to like it at times and kept dropping and reconnecting every few seconds...I disabled all steering and I've found all devices connect more consistently with better signal to the nearest disc. I assume there is no drawback to disabling all steering rather than just AP?

I got a 4 disc set up a month ago which automatically updated to the new firmware, 2 downstairs at either end of the house and 2 in the kids bedrooms upstairs. Unfortunatley i'm stuck with the two upstairs as the kids need to connect their gaming desktops via ethernet, so i can't move one downstairs to improve my weakest disc which is the one furthest from the router (signal is good and generally -50 to -70, so not bad). I get occasional dropout on this disc which a quick switch off and on again always fixes. My discs have never created a mesh I don't think (never seen one satellite disc linked to another) and always seem individually linked directly to the main router disc, so i'm not sure they're doing what they're supposed to but it seems to work. Maybe I'm easily pleased having had Homeplugs for years which needed restarting 4 times a day, so doing it once in a while on one disc seems no hardship.

Anyway, in case it helps anyone, I found Sky Q can have a major effect on Wholehome as I was getting daily dropouts at the beginning. Having read through this thread, I made sure I disconnected my TP Link router wifi and I changed my Wholehome 5Ghz channel to 48, as Sky Q default is 36. Since then (2 weeks) everything has been very solid. I'm loathe to change hardware again as I think I'll always have internet problems living in the relative sticks near Lincoln with a bb speed that fluctuates between 12mbps to 28mbps, so even if I get great consistent wifi coverage my bandwith just won't cope well  with 2 gaming kids and Sky Q downloading at the same time. Wholehome seems pretty good and I think all systems can have issues, so hopefully BT will make this a rock solid product in time.

0 Ratings