cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
filmfreak71
Aspiring Contributor
Message 901 of 1,166

Re: Whole Home WiFi firmware update v1.02.04 build10

So I’ve had my Whole Home WiFi mesh hubs since they were released and until recently it's been OK and only needed the odd reboot like once a month. I did have issues with an old Airport Extreme router that kept crashing and taking hundreds of attempts to reconnect to the internet. I fixed this with a nice new TP Link router and it works perfectly.

Once it was set up I could finally get back into the Whole Home app and ran the update. Since then my wifi has been a mess. I’m having to reboot discs on a daily and sometimes hourly basis. HD Streaming is impossible and the main unit keeps feeling like it is overheating. I’ve inspected the wifi using OSX wifi analyser and the quality and noise is all over the place. On top of that, all 3 units were on channel 44, exactly the same channel as most of my neighbours. I figured out to how to change the channels and that helped a bit, but the discs still need rebooting every few hours. 

My question are;

1. Why on earth are they all on the same channel, having on the same channel causes them to interfere with each other?
  2. Why am I limited to channels 36, 40, 44 and 48? There are plenty of other 5Ghz channels available, this tells my Bt have made this on the cheap.
  3. Why can't I change the channel from the app, why do I have to change it via a web page that isn't listed in app or manual, I just happen to come across it searching for solutions?
  4. From the look of this thread, the issue has been going on for months thanks to the last update, when is it going to be fixed?
0 Ratings
jimbg
Contributor
Message 902 of 1,166

Where are all the undocumented web pages listed?

0 Ratings
GeeDoc
Beginner
Message 903 of 1,166

Hi all,
First post in this thread, no solutions I'm afraid but some observations that help someone else deduce the root cause of this debacle.
Current Setup: 3 Discs. 1 on 1st floor, 2nd and 3rd on ground floor, each approx 8m horizontal distance from the one on the top floor which was originally set up to be the primary but no longer is. All discs use ethernet backhaul, two through netgear managed switches and the other through a netgear homeplug. Channels are manually set as 1 for 2.4Ghz and 36 for the 5 GHz. All discs have a fixed ip. Router is Home Hub 6 with its wifi turned off. There are two ipads, one ipod and two motorola android phones routinely using the mesh wifi.
I debated quite a while whether or not to go with a wifi mesh system to improve wifi coverage in our house which is reasonably large at 5 bedrooms. The reason for hesitation was that we have 6 unit SONOS system in the property which also employs a wifi mesh system (3 units use ethernet backhaul the other 3 wifi) and I had concerns as to whether the Wifi mesh might interfere with the SONOS sound system. The SONOS forums did not have any clear no-nos against the BT whole home system and after looking at several good reviews, from PCPro in particular, the discs were purchased approximately 4 weeks ago. Set up was performed as instructed by BT using the android app. A big mistake of course as it insists on doing a firmware upgrade before proceeding and installed .
The initial setup was with two units having ethernet backhaul and one using wifi. The initial report was that the connection was good for the wifi backhaul unit which was on 5 Ghz channel. Coverage using Wifi Analyszer app on the phone seemed excellent and all was well for several hours when the wifi signal indicator on the phone started to flick on and off every 10-20 secs and then although showing max signal also had a no internet access notification. Restarting the wifi mesh through the web interface on a PC (the text size on the mybtdevice.home on the phone is far too small for old eyes!) restored wifi access but now the wifi backhaul on the had gone to 2.4Ghz and was poor.  At this point I found this forum with its tale of woe and tried some of the settings suggested.
The most stable config seems to be with ethernet backhaul for all units and fixed channels. However the max time it has remained stable is 5 days and 48h - 72h seems to be average.
This may be of interest diagnostically.
Last night the mobile phone (motorola 5G) again showed an oscillating wifi signal and then no internet access. However on looking at the Devices on the Status page, the phone showed connections to two discs, one at 2.4 GHz and the other at 5 GHz with two separate ip addresses with separate Mac addresses that both belong to Motorola (D0:04:01 and F4:F1:E1). I presume that this means that both radios in the phone are being used at the same time. Does anyone know if this likely to cause routing or conflict problems.
The situation with the phone had resolved itself this morning with just one 5GHz connection but has just now got no internet access again and once more has two separate connections to two discs. This does seem a little more than coincidental.

Additionally if one looks at 'Show offline devices' the same phone is recorded as being connected with another MAC address (EC:F4:51) which is registered to Arcadyan, the Taiwanese manufacturer of the wifi chips. They also sell of wifi access points so perhaps they are producers of the BT units and maybe the faulty firmware.

0 Ratings
Steve59
Aspiring Expert
Message 904 of 1,166

@GeeDoc I would take no notice of what devices are online or offline on the app as it is bugged
0 Ratings
filmfreak71
Aspiring Contributor
Message 905 of 1,166

Does anyone from BT support ever look at this forum, or are we just venting for the sake of it, as the bugs have been known about for 3 months and nothing has been done?

0 Ratings
SeanD
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 906 of 1,166

@filmfreak71 wrote:

Does anyone from BT support ever look at this forum, or are we just venting for the sake of it, as the bugs have been known about for 3 months and nothing has been done?

Hi @filmfreak71 and everyone effected by this issue,

I am very sorry that we have not shared any details as to when a solution will be made available.  I don't have any timescale at the moment but the product team are flat out working on this issue, I can assure you this is top priority.  The second I get information as to when a solution will be offered I will post back here and confirm.

In the mean time the advice I posted last month is still relevant.  Please see post number 358 on this thread.

Thanks for your continued patience

Cheers

Sean

GeeDoc
Beginner
Message 907 of 1,166

The app sure is bugged - how about the web pages shown from the primary?

0 Ratings
fquinner
Aspiring Contributor
Message 908 of 1,166

How about we get a summary of the problem(s)? Or is it still not understood? Perhaps if we understood the issue we could take steps to mitigate risk of it happening? I know since isolating the disks to their own network they have now been stable for a week, though that could be a coincidence.
0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 909 of 1,166

@GeeDoc TBH if it was my setup (I have a two disk system and I have Sonos which runs off the BT WH) I would not give them a fixed ip or fix the channels but let the WH do it's own thing.

I have simply left my disks to get on with doing what it is designed to do and have even removed ethernet back haul from the second disk, which was routed via a TP-Link 8 port gigabit switch to a Homeplug.  So far (touchwood) the disks have now been up 23 days without a blip, all devices getting good WiFi and good Internet connections.  The primary is connected to a HH5 with wireless switched off.

0 Ratings
GeeDoc
Beginner
Message 910 of 1,166

@Jim-lad. Thanks. IMNSHO it's always better to have fixed IP rather than DHCP for fixed items of IT gear. At the very least it makes life easier to ping the bloody things or go immediately to the in built web-pages rather have to peruse the DHCP allocations tables for the correct addresses. Also, if I can see from my wifi signal monitoring where the least conjested channels are, then I'll trust my judgement over an algorithm's especially in a system that seems to have problems. The more degrees of freedom you can fix then the better chance you have of seeing what is going wrong.

However the system has proved so unstable in the last 72h that I've decided to remove it from the network, reset to factory defaults and return to the suppliers. I have a online video session to Germany this afternoon and cannot afford to have my connection dropping out. It would appear from comments on this thread that most of the alternative systems have their issues as well. When it's working the BT system is good, but this intermittent instabilty is completely unacceptable as is BT's failure to offer a fallback system other that to exchange the units with those running older software.

It seems incredible to me that 10 years ago my infrastructure team installed a wifi system comprising 400 Cisco access points with ethernet backhaul that would perfectly handover between access points as staff moved around the site with their laptops and handhelds.  Admitedly the access points were expensive (£250) with several controlling backend servers and a very significant switch/fibre infrastructure but this was 10 years ago and IT tech has improved by several orders of magnitude since then. It's now obviously a case of slightly early adoption and I'll revisit the scene in 6 months time. 

0 Ratings