Sorry Neil...will do

0 Ratings
SeanD
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 1132 of 1,166

Re: Whole Home WiFi firmware update v1.02.04 build10

Hi Everyone,

We're very sorry for the issues that some of you have had recently with your Whole Home Wi-Fi, and thank you for your feedback and to those who have taken part in the testing and trials to solve the issues and improve performance.

Starting Monday (June 25th), we're releasing new software for the Whole Home Wi-Fi that includes a patch for the Wi-Fi connection issues some of you have experienced. This should significantly improve the reliability of the connection for the majority of customers. See guide below on the update.

While our testing showed that this latest update should solve the problem for the majority of customers who did experience these issues, our trials unfortunately showed that it may not completely fix the issue in all cases – but we wanted to get the update out as soon as possible as we know it will improve performance for many. We have already started on a new release to follow on from this update that will include an updated wireless driver, and should help fix the issue for the rest of our customers who may still be affected at that time.

Please make sure your software is updated, and please do keep us informed if you do continue to experience any issues. Our technical teams are continuing to investigate and work on this, and your feedback is invaluable in helping us to do so.

Thank you for your continued patience, and many apologies for the inconvenience that this issue may have caused.

New software update for Whole Home Wi-Fi

Version 1.02.05build01 

1. The update will happen automatically within the next few weeks if your discs are set to auto-update on the BTWholeHome App
  2. You can also apply it manually through the App. If the server is busy when you manually update, please be patient and try another time or day
  3. After the update, we recommend you leave your discs for two days to allow them to settle into their configuration
  4. During this time your Wi-Fi connection will be working fine, but you may see lights turning amber and blue and short drops in connection. If this happens we recommend not moving your discs or adjusting any settings
  5. When your network has settled, you may also notice that the disc layout displayed on the App is different or that your devices connect to a different disc – this is completely normal
  6. If you have good internet connection on all your devices, your Whole Home Wi-Fi is working properly and there should be no need to tamper with its layout or network configuration.

Note:  There are no new features in this release.

Cheers

Sean

Jim-lad
Expert
Message 1133 of 1,166

What I would be fascinated to know and I hope BT share this with everyone is why some of us experienced no issues whatever with Build 10 whilst for others it has been problematic.

Is it down to the particular devices we are using e.g. a brand of smartphone or OS or is it environmental, maybe poor wiring circuits within the home etc. ?  There has to be something that makes it work fine for some and not for others.

0 Ratings
Steve59
Aspiring Expert
Message 1134 of 1,166

Great news about the new firmware, I will hold off do now

Interested to know from someone more techy than me why these discs need a couple of days to get used to the new configuration
0 Ratings
JohnfromUK
Contributor
Message 1135 of 1,166

I suspect it is complex, and not a single problem.  Let me explain by a brief history of my 'problems';

I bought a 3 disc set in the spring.  It 'auto updated' to build 10 on initial installation, so I have no experience of the older firmware.  It is installed with the master disc wired to the hub, and two slave discs WiFi'd to the hub.

It worked apparently well for about 2 or 3 weeks, then I began to notice that when I was on one of the slave discs, my (Macbook Air) laptop would show still connected - but have no internet access.  This usually corrected itself after a few minutes, but happened often (perhaps hourly).  IOS devices (iPhone and iPad) didn't seem to suffer the same issues.

The dropouts only seemed to happen on one slave disc, and always showed 'connected' (both on the laptop and the Whole Home system), but internet connection was lost.

Resetting the system would make it better for a day or two.

After joining this forum, did two things:  I relocated the master and one slave disc and I took the advice of a poster here to turn off 'Access Point Steering' as he said that it wasn't liked by the Mac OS.  On doing this, the system has been near perfect (and has been for 3 weeks or so now).  I cannot firmly say that this was the fix, but all the evidence points that way.  However - a good friend also has a 3 disc Whole Home system, and a similar Mac + iOS devices 'fleet', and has not had any problems.

Was my problem the same as the others having problems here?  I don't know, and possibly not as mine may be a Mac compatibility issue, but others including my friend have not had the same issues with Mac OS.  That is why I suspect there may be more complex issues underlying this.

0 Ratings
mikew88
Aspiring Expert
Message 1136 of 1,166

Thanks Sean...great news that hopefully more of our brothers who are struggling might get sorted at last. I agree with @Jim-lad that it would be nice to know what they think the main problems were. I’m presuming there will be no rollback option, which makes me nervous to update. I imagine most of us who haven’t had problems will feel this way, so I wonder who will be brave enough to bite the bullet first. For me that is the crucial point...that an existing working setup can be updated successfully and remains stable ongoing, which I guess will take weeks to find out. Happy as I am, I don’t want to miss out on any improved functionality like faster WiFi speeds or group pausing. See you all on the new thread on the 25th I guess...

0 Ratings
tsr2
Contributor
Message 1137 of 1,166

@mikew88wrote:

... I wonder who will be brave enough to bite the bullet first.

As my reliability has varied between poor and atrocious I will be looking for the update first thing on Monday.

0 Ratings
mikew88
Aspiring Expert
Message 1138 of 1,166

@tsr2 If I was in your shoes  I would too and I wish you luck...I’ll be more interested in what it does to an already stable and working setup (sorry to sound selfish)

0 Ratings
foz
Aspiring Expert
Message 1139 of 1,166

Thank you Sean for supplying the above information.
Can we assume or conclude the wifi module vary either by manufacture or ic number in these discs?
That may explain alot and why some are suffering with issues while others are not.
( different hardware / driver interaction)
0 Ratings
Yorkie29
Contributor
Message 1140 of 1,166

So what happens if I install this update and I'm one of those whose problems are not fixed.  I would go from a working (ie moderately, but not completely stable)  older release to a new unstable one with no way back.  Will BT rapidly replace my four disks with ones loaded with the older release as they did a couple of months back?  I don't need the hassle to be frank. They say in their message that we should all update.  They must be kidding!

0 Ratings