cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IanD2
Contributor
Message 231 of 1,165

Re: Whole Home WiFi firmware update v1.02.04 build10

Mine are all wireless linked - one master via ethernet from hub, 5 all linked via wireless. I get the odd random reboot/disconnection on the master but tbh it's been pretty stable for a while now. Of the 5 wireless discs, 3 are working absolutely fine, but two I've turned off. When I turn them on, the whole system shuts down and loses connection.

I probably should factory reset the 2 and try and add them again, but the 4 remaining discs seem stable at the moment, so I'm holding out for a firmware update, and then will add them.

I still have to do the odd reboot of the master disc, but as I say, I have 4 working discs at the moment....

0 Ratings
Message 232 of 1,165

My discs are all hard wired via ethernet (I have 3). I also have a main Wireless Internet router, another ethernet linked Wireless Access Point with high powered aerial. I don't seem to be having any of the problems discussed here but maybe I'm not being adventurous enough.

When I installed the Whole Home network I used existing ethernet wiring which just seemed sensible to me.

I do have a question though.

We have a disc in our lounge. It works fine for everything except for my wife's computer. Everything else sees and connects to the disc OK but for some reason my wife's computer wants to connect to either the main Internet Router or the high powered aerial equipped Access Point. Considering these are through at least two three foot thick stone walls I find quite bizzarre.

I want to make my wife's computer connect to the disc in the lounge when she's there. Is there any way that one disc can be provided with a separate network name so that it can be chosen as the wi-fi provider? I understand that moving around the house will not have a seamles connection as it does now but my wife would be able to connect directly and avoid signal drop out from the main Wireless router and Access Point

TIA for any help.

0 Ratings
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 233 of 1,165

@CaptainCoordinates

Does your Wife's computer need to connect to the main router as well? The best solution would be to "forget" the main router and other access points from that PC and only save the details of the Whole Home. That way it would always connect to Whole Home and not any others.

You can right click on the network (from the list of Wi-Fi networks) to forget it.

Dan-O

Device expertDanO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
jimbg
Contributor
Message 234 of 1,165

Can you tell me why the app cannot be "cleared" on iOS? 

If if uninstall the app and re-install  when I am in a different location from own system it displays the discs  from my home rather than the discs in the new location.

There seems to be no way of forgettingthe first loction, surely the uninstall should delete all the data about the discs?

0 Ratings
Message 235 of 1,165

Thanks for the reply Dan-O.

My Internet Router, Access Point and BT Whole Home are all set up with the same Network ID and password.

The only way I know that she's connecting to either the Internet Router or the Access Point is by viewing the connected users on my Whole Home App. Even though she's 10 feet away from the Whole Home disc her computer wants to connect elsewhere over 40 feet away, through stone walls or 80m away across the garden.

I tried powering down all other discs and AP's leaving only the lounge disc active, dumped the network preferences and reconnected her computer via the lounge disc, (it does see the disc and can connect to it) but even after doing that when the other discs and AP's are available her computer still connects to those instead and specifically the non-WholeHome wifi devices.

In the network selection is there any way to select "Lounge" or to set the Lounge disc with its own identity yet on the same network?

0 Ratings
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 236 of 1,165

@CaptainCoordinates

The Whole Home discs all need to use the same SSID and password to support seamless roaming so there's no way of separating the name per disc.

The best way to solve your problem would either be rename the Whole Home to something different or to rename your router and the other AP to something else. Otherwise there's no way to manually differentiate the access points.

Dan-O

Device expertDanO
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
MrX911
Contributor
Message 237 of 1,165

Looks like my posts criticising this product and BT keep being deleted. 

I will never touch a BT networks product again.  3 Discs for sale if anyone wants them as ornaments or plates. 

richard42
Contributor
Message 238 of 1,165

@Dan-Owrote:

It appears that the issue is affecting mostly discs that are closer to the edge of range.

It'd be useful to know how the Wi-Fi discs are connected (Wi-Fi, direct to primary disc or via another disc) and also the signal strength and band (from the app "Disc Details" or web interface "Discs" page). This would help with our investigation.

I have 6 discs.

Disc 1 (L) - Connected to the router (BT Smart Hub) via ethernet
Disc 2 (JB) - Wi-Fi (to disc 1), 5Ghz, -57
Disc 3 (K) - Wi-Fi (to disc 1), 5Ghz, -71
Disc 4 (DR) - Wi-Fi (to disc 1), 5Ghz, -70
Disc 5 (O) - Wi-Fi (to disc 1), 5Ghz, -69
Disc 6 (MB) - Wi-Fi (to disc 5), 5Ghz, -69 

Everything worked flawlessly prior to firmware update.  Nothing else has changed.

When the crash occurs, latency goes up dramatically (see pings in earlier post) and then the network fails completely.  Blue lights remain on on all discs. Existing devices remain connected to Wi-Fi but are no longer able to access the LAN or Internet.  New devices cannot connect to any disc.  BT iOS App fails (since it can't talk to the network).  Temporary fix is to turn the primary disc off and back on again.  In my case, it's then stable for 12 to 24 hours before another catastrophic failure.  Nothing in the logs around the time of the crash.

Since users are reporting variable uptimes, I suggested in an earlier post that it could be a memory leak in the firmware triggered by the number of packets or amount of data transferred.  Only the developers with access to the code would be able to determine whether this is the case.  Perhaps a stress test with a similar setup is in order?

Either way, please provide an ETA for the fix.  My previous requests for an ETA have fallen upon deaf ears!

Forthay
Contributor
Message 239 of 1,165

This describes the same situation for me down to a T.
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 240 of 1,165

Hi @richard42

Thanks for your reply.

So to confirm, devices will not connect to the master disc (L) either when this situation occurs?

And devices connected to any of the other discs - can they ping the Home Hub?

In terms of an ETA for a fix, unfortunately there isn't a date we can provide at this stage as we are still investigating the issue. We will update as soon as this is known.

Device expertDanO
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings