Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 601 of 1,165

Re: Whole Home WiFi firmware update v1.02.04 build10

@Yorkie29wrote:

Yes @Yorkie29 if it is showing orange then it has chosen the 2.4ghz band, just humour the disc by moving it closer to the disc it is trying to connect to to see if it connects on blue 5ghz.

It's at the edge of a tall bookshelf just inside the room.  Any closer and it would be sitting on the floor in the hallway except then the mains lead wouldn't reach 🙂  As I said it was at 5Ghz for 19 days.  Is there a way to force it to use 5Ghz?

Your reply has lost me.  My dishes remain blue regardless of whether my devices are using 2.4MHz or 5MHz band.  As I'm writing this post I have three devices currently using 2.4MHz as they have no 5MHz capablilty.  The colours signfy quality of the signal not the band your devices are using.

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 602 of 1,165

@fozwrote:

@Jim-ladwrote:

I don't understand why we are having this angst regarding firmware update.

My two dishes are on the latest build and I couldn't be happier.  I've now got the most stable and strong WiFi we have ever had in our property.  Full marks to BT for an excellent product and an excellent price.

BTW if you have the option of connecting one of your other dishes by Ethernet then doing so really boosts the system.  It takes care of the 'back haul' thus not taking resources from other devices.  I routed my second Ethernet connected dish via a 'homeplug' round the back of our TV.

Either troll, very lucky or BT employee LOL

Please don't insult me.  I'm neither a troll or have any connection with BT past or present.  I don't consider I'm lucky either.  The simple truth is a have gone to the trouble of making sure the dishes are set to the optimum. 

I'm also one of those people that's never had any issues with a Windows computer, never a BSOD or similar event and been using Windows since 3.1.  I also have a Mac which has never given me a moments trouble.  So, I'm either extremely lucky or I know what I'm doing round tech.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 603 of 1,165

@mikew88wrote:

Surely the whole point is not to have to use ethernet and homeplugs and CAT5 cabling round the house...aren't we trying to establish a wireless mesh network, instead of wired access points? Anyway, I don't know what I have really, it's not a mesh network but rather I think it's 3 wireless access points, which definitely gives me better wifi coverage at parts of my house the routeron it's own didn't reach well, and works better than homeplugs ever did. Might not be what WH is supposed to do, but it seems to work...whether that's working as well as it could I don't know. Perhaps it depends on the size of your house, distance between discs etc...maybe the range of each disc isn't strong enough? Is there an optimal or max distance between discs for the mesh to be created, after which it just doesn't work?

You don't have to use Ethernet for back haul.  My second dish worked okay without it.  My reason for connecting it via Ethernet was an experiment i.e. to improve back haul and to see if it made a 'good connection' into an 'excellent connection' - it did.

I had an unused port in the Ethernet switch behind the TV so utilised it.  Since connecting the second dish to the Ethernet network I have now gone back to using our Apple TV wirelessly along with the TV.  The home plugs are now just used for a couple of PVRs which have no wireless capability.  

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 604 of 1,165

@agaskewwrote:
I'd highly doubt the "matched pair" theory, given that extra discs are sold separately. Now, if not all discs are on the same firmware, that might be an issue.

That definitely would cause an issue.  I would have thought it a simple enough task to make sure they're all singing from the same hymn sheet.

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 605 of 1,165

@agaskewwrote:
Jim_lad, How is the wireless speed? When I used home plugs to provide WiFi upstairs, the best I got was 40 meg download speed. With the BT discs (only the master is connected to the router by ethernet) I get 200 everywhere.

But you wouldn't be running WiFi off your Home Plugs.  The dishes would be providing your WiFi and the Ethernet connection is simply providing 'back haul'.  My phone according to the Whole Home app is currently connected at 866 Mbps on 5MHz.

0 Ratings
Steve59
Aspiring Expert
Message 606 of 1,165

@Jim-lad, I meant how the discs connect to each other not the devices, orange, disc is connected to another disc using 2.4, if blue then 5, which ever the disc is using the devices will connect either 2.4 or 5 depending on distance and whether they have the option of both bands

As for Sonos, you are kind of correct in that the bridge is no longer sold, it has been replaced by the boost which either is required if using a sub, anyhow the sonos mesh is better than using the Wi-fi connection, so back to my question as i have a mesh/bridge will connecting a disc to it act as the Ethernet backhaul
0 Ratings
mikew88
Aspiring Expert
Message 607 of 1,165

@Jim-ladwrote:

@agaskewwrote:
I'd highly doubt the "matched pair" theory, given that extra discs are sold separately. Now, if not all discs are on the same firmware, that might be an issue.

That definitely would cause an issue.  I would have thought it a simple enough task to make sure they're all singing from the same hymn sheet.

When I connected the second pack of discs to the “”master” disc from the first pack via Ethernet to set them up, they auto updated to the new firmware anyway. So unless you knew not to let them do that, and I didn’t , all discs should be on same firmware.

0 Ratings
mikew88
Aspiring Expert
Message 608 of 1,165

@Jim-ladwrote:

@fozwrote:

@Jim-ladwrote:

I don't understand why we are having this angst regarding firmware update.

My two dishes are on the latest build and I couldn't be happier.  I've now got the most stable and strong WiFi we have ever had in our property.  Full marks to BT for an excellent product and an excellent price.

BTW if you have the option of connecting one of your other dishes by Ethernet then doing so really boosts the system.  It takes care of the 'back haul' thus not taking resources from other devices.  I routed my second Ethernet connected dish via a 'homeplug' round the back of our TV.

Either troll, very lucky or BT employee LOL

Please don't insult me.  I'm neither a troll or have any connection with BT past or present.  I don't consider I'm lucky either.  The simple truth is a have gone to the trouble of making sure the dishes are set to the optimum. 

I'm also one of those people that's never had any issues with a Windows computer, never a BSOD or similar event and been using Windows since 3.1.  I also have a Mac which has never given me a moments trouble.  So, I'm either extremely lucky or I know what I'm doing round tech.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

@Jim-lad Jim, I for one have found your posts logical and useful thanks....Sounds like you have a great tech setup under your bridge 😀

0 Ratings
jaybeetoo
Aspiring Expert
Message 609 of 1,165

Just to add some balance, my 3 disk system is running fine on the latest firmware. On the previous firmware it was a disaster.
0 Ratings
Yorkie29
Contributor
Message 610 of 1,165

"When I connected the second pack of discs to the “”master” disc from the first pack via Ethernet to set them up, they auto updated to the new firmware anyway. So unless you knew not to let them do that, and I didn’t , all discs should be on same firmware."

You should connect the second set via Ethernet to your router - not the first disk.  That was probably your problem.

0 Ratings