Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
siwhite
Contributor
Message 731 of 1,165

Re: Whole Home WiFi firmware update v1.02.04 build10

@Benjaminleowrote:

@siwhitewrote:

All bar one on my disks is connected to ethernet, Three via the powerline plugs shown above, one wifi and one is attached to the router.  I still have a mesh wifi network - I can wander around and stay connected to my wifi without losing the signal or having to connect to a different AP - that's mesh isn't it?

It is, but its such a stupid way of doing it. The entire point in this system is to broadcast wifi around the home without wiring. Why should i have to invest further into a powerline kit?

Also yes the speeds you are getting via homeplug are good (between 381Mbps and 542Mbps) but if your wiring is only 10 years old that will be why. most homes have much older wiring than that, a good number of homes will get terrible speeds over homeplug. Thats great that powerline adapters work for you, but youre saying this as if its the correct way of using whole home when it is not!

My point is, if i wanted to do a powerline or wired setup then theres no point in using whole home. its like buying a jumbo jet and never flying it, just taxiing from my house to tesco and back. Yeah it will work, but its a ridiculous waste and it defies its original purpose! If youve got money to waste on that setup then go for it. But its not what it was designed for. for less you could have bought Ubiquiti UniFi APs, proper business grade access points, and youd have had a far better setup with vastly superior control. The idea of whole home is it connects your home without wires or powerline adapters, for homes that are unable to be connected by either of those.

But access points need backhaul.  They don't all have to be wired but it's sensible to have a percentage of them that are. When I get around to it I'm planning to run a load of CAT5e / CAT6A around the house and plug the APs into that.  I'll get great coverage from a WiFi perspective with GbE at the back end.  Using powerline in the interim just allows me to achieve that aim before I otherwise might.  

If I had clear line-of-sight between any pair of disks then maybe I wouldn't need to worry so much about the backhaul, but I don't, so I do. 

0 Ratings
Steve59
Aspiring Expert
Message 732 of 1,165

@siwhite, My backhaul is provided by WiFi only disc connected by ethernet is the master disc, I have 4 discs, none of them can see each other as they are in 4 different rooms, on the whole mine all work , very occasional rebeoot

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 733 of 1,165

The WholeHome discs work well even with just the one primary. They do work even better though with an additional disk connected by Ethernet taking the backhaul.
Tags (1)
0 Ratings
foz
Aspiring Expert
Message 734 of 1,165

So are these BT WH Discs a Full mesh topology or Partial mesh topology? Or just expensive Access Points?
If you need to run an Ethernet back haul there just very expensive access points really.
Might as well use old BT HH and switch off DHCP and WAN

0 Ratings
siwhite
Contributor
Message 735 of 1,165

@fozwrote:
So are these BT WH Discs a Full mesh topology or Partial mesh topology? Or just expensive Access Points?
If you need to run an Ethernet back haul there just very expensive access points really.
Might as well use old BT HH and switch off DHCP and WAN

No.  They're MESH because you get a ubiquitous WiFi network across your entire home with the disks handing off sessions to each other according to signal strength without reauthentication.  If they were 'just' access points you'd essentially 'n' separate WiFi networks (even if you're using the same SSID on all APs) which will interfere with each other and require authentication to establish a session.

0 Ratings
foz
Aspiring Expert
Message 736 of 1,165

to the point of re-authentication they are a mesh network
0 Ratings
siwhite
Contributor
Message 737 of 1,165

@Steve59wrote:

@siwhite, My backhaul is provided by WiFi only disc connected by ethernet is the master disc, I have 4 discs, none of them can see each other as they are in 4 different rooms, on the whole mine all work , very occasional rebeoot

@Steve59 yes, in most cases I'm sure that's fine.  The point being that there needs to be backhaul.  I have brick walls and all sorts of obstacles in my situation so it makes sense for me to have additional wired connections back to the router.  Disks that can "see" each other connect just fine, otherwise they connect via ethernet.  

The aim is to get WiFi everywhere but some folk seem to be missing the network element of that aim.  If all the communication (between disks) is happening using wireless then there's less bandwidth available for the user community to use.  Off-loading that onto 1Gb Ethernet takes care of that.

0 Ratings
Steve59
Aspiring Expert
Message 738 of 1,165

@Jim-lad, so you think I would be better putting one other of my 4 discs on an Ethernet backhaul (perhaps home plug as I am not running cabling)
0 Ratings
Benjaminleo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 739 of 1,165

@siwhite You are talking absolute garbage. So youre telling me that in a large office building, or a hotel, or a hospital, or a large shop or the tube or anywhere else that uses multiple AP's connected via ethernet that every time your device move between access points you have to re-authenticate? Are you telling me all their APs are interfering with each other and also that theyre not seamless?Cos if thats what you’re telling me then you are completely incorrect!

*Edited by Mod*

Where on there does it say it each disc needs to be connected by ethernet.
Clue: It doesnt.
Why is that I wonder... maybe because it was never designed for that purpose. Fact is, the intended purpose BT sold these points for is faulty.

I am not wiring up these discs. Only a fool would do that. I am considering wiring up APs but i wont be using these discs because theyre not really fit for that job.

Steve59
Aspiring Expert
Message 740 of 1,165

@Benjaminleo I have to agree with what you say about the BTWH, mine have plenty of bandwidth on wifi only connection, but it would be handy if one of the BT Tech guys @Dan-O were to come on here and put people right if they are making false statements, 

but i guess if you have a mansion then you may have to have some sort of cable to get to parts a disc to disc wifi cannot get to.

Again, why if you can get Good or Excellent connections disc to disc using wifi would you want or need to connect an ethernet cable, the whole point of these surely is not to run cabling all around and not the need for powerline plugs.

0 Ratings