Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Jarvo
Message 1 of 4

(Whole Home Wifi) Guest Network - No Internet

Go to solution

Hi All

Wondering if anyone can help, quite simply, users can connect to the guest network, but not access the internet at all. 

Spideysenses are suggesting that they cannot perform DNS resolution.

---setup---

Router - SkyQ Hub

Raspberry Pi - Running PiHole, for advert blocking, and also DHCP / DNS server for the network.  DNS requests are then forwarded to CleanBrowsing.org (to ensure the kids have safe-search, and block dodgy sites!)

6 x BT Whole Home WiFi Disks - Each with dynamic IP, I didn't see the need to fix their IPs ... but can if needed.

---

It has been working when initially installed.  But as I don't use the guest network, it was only today when one of my clients said "I can't get onto the internet", did I realise there was an issue!

Thanks in advance for any help or advice on this one. 

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES
Recognised Expert Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: (Whole Home Wifi) Guest Network - No Internet

Go to solution

Hi @Jarvo

If you still have not been able to resolve the connection issue, it maybe worth having a chat with the BT Whole Home Team..

BT Whole Home Product Helpdesk

You can contact the Helpdesk on 08081006116 

Mon-Fri 9.00am to 5.30pm Sat 9.00am to 2.00pm or contact them by email at btconnectedhome@bt.com 

BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

Hi @Jarvo

I'm assuming based on your setup that your DNS/DHCP server is a different IP address from the gateway/router?

If so, there is a known problem with the Guest network in this configuration. We already have a fix and will include this in the next software release.

In the meantime, are you able to run your network with the router/DNS IP the same? Either by moving this back to the Sky Q Hub or installing appropriate software on the RPI to function as a router?

Thanks,
Dan-O

BT Device ExpertDan O
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on BT Devices queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, and help where I can with BT device queries. Go here for more info.
Jarvo
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution
Hi Dan-O

Indeed, the RPI is on a different IP address.

That was my suspicion, that the Guest network couldn't see the DNS server due to device separation etc.

I'll keep an eye out for the next software release. They seem to be fairly regular! Smiley Happy

Thank you both for your swift reponses.
0 Ratings