cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Timberflake1983
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Whole Home Wifi Problems after getting a Superhub 3

I'm hoping someone can help me with this as I'm out of ideas!

So I upgraded my Virgin Media internet last week and received a Superhub 3. installed it, great wired speed, happy days. At this point my WH Wifi and everything else is working fine. 

I then put the SH into modem mode, and after working out that this disables all but the first ethernet port I think I've solved why I have no Wifi, but no. 

I use the one working ethernet port to connect my 8 port gigabit ethernet switch, but here's the funny thing, everything connected to the switch works fine EXCEPT the WH Wifi!

I've tried different ports on the switch and different cables but nothing seems to work, I boot up the WH hub and it goes from solid purple to flashing blue, to red! 

Any ideas what could be going wrong here?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
JohnC2
Message 2 of 5

Re: Whole Home Wifi Problems after getting a Superhub 3

Hi @Timberflake1983 Sorry you are unable to get the Whole Home Wifi system working.

You would be best to contact the product helpdesk for further assistance and they will be able to help you further. 

By phone: 08081006116 open Mon to Fri 9.00am to 5.30pm and Sat 9.00am to 2.00pm or drop them an email: btconnectedhome@bt.com 

Cheers
John

0 Ratings
Palazzo13
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

The Superhub 3 in modem mode is just a modem, i.e. It does not perform as a router any more.

If you don't have another router (the BT Whole Home does not have router functions unlike some of the mesh WiFi products) you'll need t to put the Superhub back into router mode.

Do that and then just switch off the Superhub's own WiFi and I think you'll have what you need.
0 Ratings
Timberflake1983
Beginner
Message 4 of 5

That doesn't make any sense though. I upgraded from a Superhub 2 which was in modem mode and the mesh wifi worked fine when connected to the tp link switch so why would it be any different with the Superhub 3?

0 Ratings
Palazzo13
Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Hi @Timberflake1983

Not sure.

What you described originally makes sense i.e.  the Mesh Wifi will only work if your superhub was in "router" mode. If you switch it to "modem" mode there's no services like "DHCP" which is needed to hand out IP addresses to the devices, and Superhub can't route traffic from devices to and from the internet so all internet connections will fail.

You have to have at least one internet router in the network, and the Sueperhub in "router" mode would be it.

So, I'd have to suggest that the SH2 must have been in "router" mode, but happy if someone else can suggest how it may have been working.

oh... forgot to add - I assume the Switch is just a switch, so that can't perform those router functions either, though I think the smarter switches can remember which devces are on which ports. So, after "learning" whats connected while the Superhub was a router, it might be able to carry on doing some sort of routing using the remebered devices.

Though I'm no network expert so no idea whether that, on it's own, is sufficient to route traffic to/from the internet - seems unlikely.

0 Ratings