cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
martynlcfc
Message 1 of 4

Whole Home Wifi and Smart Home Bridges (e.g. Philips Hue)

Hi There,

I've just moved into a new house where the wifi  range does not extend throughout the house. (router and ISP is not through BT).

As such, i'm considering investing in the BT Whole Home Disc solution. I also intend over time to build various smart home capabilities throughout the house.

My question is - for something like Philips Hue, which needs a hard wired bridge, how does this work alongside Whole Home so that the Philips equipment is taking advantage of the extended wifi range, rather than simply the wifi provided through the router.

Will it just work (i.e. with extended range) if you plug a Whole Home Disc and Hue Bridge into different ethernet ports on the router, or does it need a slightly more elaborate solution to make sure it functions as intended.

I just want to avoid extending the wifi range using BT Whole Home, if various Smart Home Bridges don't play well alongside it.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: Whole Home Wifi and Smart Home Bridges (e.g. Philips Hue)

Hi @martynlcfc 

Whole Home Wi-Fi creates a new Wi-Fi network across your home which all Wi-Fi connected devices can use to benefit from extended range.

For other devices that use a bridge, the bridge is creating a separate wireless network - which in most cases is not a Wi-Fi network (e.g. Philips Hue is Zigbee) so is not part of the Whole Home Wi-Fi network.

If your bridge is connected by Ethernet, you could consider connecting it to the Ethernet port on the back of one of the other discs, which may end up being a better placement for the bridge compared to where your router is (e.g. you could put it in the middle of your house rather in the corner).

Hopefully this helps with your decision.

Thanks,

Dan-O

Device expertDanO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
martynlcfc
Message 3 of 4

Thank you for the response.

Could i therefore in theory connect the Smart Home Bridges to the Whole Home discs, assuming they are better positioned in my house than the wifi router is?

0 Ratings
albertj
Contributor
Message 4 of 4

Hi @martynlcfc 

Yes, the ethernet port on the back of the Whole Home points can be used to connect wired devices.

--
Please press the thumbs up if you found my response useful and mark it as a solution if I resolved your query.
0 Ratings