cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Elmstead
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Whole Home Wifi conundrum

I have four Whole Home discs - one next to the SmartHub, two on other floors, one in the garden shed. On the floor above the router+disc, I get considerably faster wifi if I connect to the router wifi rather than the WholeHome network. I've tried turning off the router wifi, but the Whole Home remains a slow dribble. Anyone have any ideas why?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Steve_J_W
Beginner
Message 2 of 7

Re: Whole Home Wifi conundrum

Did you get this resolved because  I have the same issue? Connecting to the whole home  WiFi network on the 5 GHz band is measurably slower than connecting to the 5 GHz band on the BT Hub. Very disappointing performance.

0 Ratings
Elmstead
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

No, problem remains. An online chat with BT suggested calling to resolve, but of course all lines are busy on a Saturday. As to the havoc of my Yamaha MusicCast system since installing WholeHome, I despair.

0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 4 of 7

@Elmstead and @Steve_J_W the whole home wifi helpdesk would be best suited to helping with this.  They can be contacted on the details below.

By phone: 0808 100 6116

Monday to Friday 9.00am to 5.30pm

Saturday 9.00am to 2.00pm

By email: btconnectedhome@bt.com 

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 5 of 7

@Steve_J_Wwrote:

Did you get this resolved because  I have the same issue? Connecting to the whole home  WiFi network on the 5 GHz band is measurably slower than connecting to the 5 GHz band on the BT Hub. Very disappointing performance.

You may have switched off both the 2.4 MHz and 5 MHz wifi on the BT Home Hub but have you also purged your devices from attempting to connect with the old network?

I intially had a slowness issue and found a couple of my devices were still trying to connect to the Home Hub.  Once I had purged those devices I found the new system to be blisteringly fast and very reliable.

Elmstead
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Thank you, that sounds helpful. How do I purge?

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 7 of 7

@Elmsteadwrote:

Thank you, that sounds helpful. How do I purge?

Well for devices such as phones etc. if you go into settings then wifi you may see your old network connection listed.  You simply highlight it and then you can select option - forget this network.  You also need to make sure that Wifi is switched off (both 2.4 MHz and 5 MHz) in your router settings.

Next - still in your router under devices look for the list of Wifi connected devices.  I deleted every device in the list so there was no chance of them trying to reconnect with the HomeHub.  

That's basically it.  From now on once you have connected each of your devices to BT Whole Home i.e. enter the password for you devices, the dishes will be your new Wifi network.