Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
chrisw74
Contributor
Message 1 of 14

Whole Home and Exsisting Wifi Access Point

I have a TP Link EAP110 2.4ghz external WIFI access point for my Garden and have now bought a set of 3 BT Whole Home Wifi Disc's, would it cause a problem to the Mesh network if I set the SSID and Password of the Disc's to the same as the External WIFI access point (i.e. would this interfere with the Mesh network)

I am hoping that the BT Disc's will serve the inside of the property and the TP Link will serve the Garden.

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: Whole Home and Exsisting Wifi Access Point

Not sure if it would cause a problem but one thing is certain, the AP won't become part of the mesh so I can't see any point in giving it the same SSID and password.

0 Ratings
chrisw74
Contributor
Message 3 of 14

I am hoping that having the same SSID and Password that Phones, Laptops and Tablets will automatically connect to the Outdoors Wifi when I am in the Garden without having to manually switch to another wifi network.

I have done this with 2 BT Hubs before (Set the same SSID and Password and Turned off the DHCP Server on the 2nd Hub) and that seems to work, I have just never tried with a Mesh Network.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 14

This idea that  having the same SSID somehow means devices switch seamlessly from one AP to another is a myth. The only time that happens is with mesh systems. The device still needs to drop and re-connect regardless of SSID, in fact it is a disadvantage having the same SSID as you are unaware of which AP the device is connecting to and may be holding on to a weak signal in preference to a stronger signal, if the SSIDs are different you can at least force the device to connect to the stronger signal if you wish.

0 Ratings
chrisw74
Contributor
Message 5 of 14

I have found using a BT Hub 5 as 2nd router (with DHCP turned off) seems to work pretty well, I have my main hub at the Front of my house and the 2nd Hub wired to the Main hub and when I walk from the Front of my house to the back the signal does go low in the middle of the house and then go back up to full again automatically when I am at the back of the house.

0 Ratings
chrisw74
Contributor
Message 6 of 14

Does anyone know, when the Discs pass on the Wifi to each other, do they do this on a Separate Wireless Network?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 14

@chrisw74 wrote:

I have found using a BT Hub 5 as 2nd router (with DHCP turned off) seems to work pretty well, I have my main hub at the Front of my house and the 2nd Hub wired to the Main hub and when I walk from the Front of my house to the back the signal does go low in the middle of the house and then go back up to full again automatically when I am at the back of the house.

As indeed it would do if they had different SSIDs

0 Ratings
chrisw74
Contributor
Message 8 of 14

But if I had 2 different SSID's I would need to connect my mobile devices to both networks, but if I keep the SSID's the same then I only need to connect to 1 network.

Anyway aside from what I have at home, I am trying to set this up at a rental holiday home, so am trying to keep it as simple as possible for the guests.

I am mainly trying to find out if I add the EAP110 with the same SSID and Password is it likely to disrupt the Mesh Network indoors, will any of the Whole Home Dishes try to get the internet from the Outdoor EAP110 rather than another dish?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 14

But your devices will have the credentials for both networks held on them and will just switch. I have 6 different SSIDs about the house and my phone will connect to any of them without any intervention from me. If I want to connect to a particular AP I can do easily by selecting it.

I can't say for certain, but I can't imagine the Whole Home disks would be able to get their connection via the TP Link as it wouldn't have the mesh protocols necessary to talk to the disks in addition to the basic wifi signal.

0 Ratings
chrisw74
Contributor
Message 10 of 14

I dont think you are getting my point I can set my devices to connect to different SSID's but it will probably confuse the Guests whom some will not have the experience or patience to which network the should be connecting to!

Just trying to make things simple for the guests, they really dont want to walk into the house connect to the Internal SSID then come out to the Pool area and find that they are still attached to a weak internal network and have to keep switching to a different SSID's.

0 Ratings