Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 14

Re: Whole Home and Exsisting Wifi Access Point

I don't think that you are getting my point that the guests could be struggling with a weak signal because their device refused to let go if it in favour of a much stronger signal which they could switch to if it had a different SSID but can't if it has the same as the weak signal.

The passwords can be the same for the different SSIDs

0 Ratings
chrisw74
Contributor
Message 12 of 14

@licquoricewrote:

I don't think that you are getting my point that the guests could be struggling with a weak signal because their device refused to let go if it in favour of a much stronger signal which they could switch to if it had a different SSID but can't if it has the same as the weak signal.

The passwords can be the same for the different SSIDs

Just a quick update for future reference I have tried setting the SSID and password on the TP-Link outdoor Wi-fi to the same as the BT Whole Home Wi-fi also made sure that the security was set to WPA2 which is the same as the Whole Home Security  and it works , the indoor and outdoor Wi-fi is on the same network with the same SSID and passsword with no need to manually change Wi-fi networks, if I go inside both my Android phone and Apple iPad switch between the Tp link and the BT Whole Home without having to drop the network and reconnect. 

So I now have one SSID that covers the whole of the property both inside and out, just as I wanted, definitely  not a myth @licquorice.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 14

You may not be aware of it happening, but I can assure you the network will drop and reconnect when changing from the mesh part of the network to the TP Link, just as it would with different SSIDs. You don't NEED to manually change networks with different SSIDs  but the ability is there if you want to.

However, pleased to hear that it is all working as you want it to.

0 Ratings
chrisw74
Contributor
Message 14 of 14

If it does drop when going between networks then you would not notice it, I was downloading a file whilst walking from outside to the far reaches of the inside and there was no interruption to the download, which is perfect, not that anyone would want to download whist walking around. I have also tried Facetime and what's app calls whilst moving between the two networks and there was no interruption either.

So all good and only need to ask the guests to connect to the one network.
0 Ratings