Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 3

Whole Home functionality question

Hello,

I am currently setting up a 4 disc system and I wanted to confirm how the Whole Home system works in terms of disc connectivity.

I have my first disc connected to the router, let's call this the master disc.

What I would like to understand is what happens when I add additional discs, do they all connect to the master disc, or do they connect to whichever is closest to them.

So for example if the master disc is at the far side of the house, will discs 1, 2 and 3 all connect directly to the master disc?

Ow will they daisy chain with disc 1 connecting to the master disc, and then disc 2 and 3 possibly connecting to disc 1?

Thanks

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 2 of 3

Re: Whole Home functionality question

Hi,

The Wi-Fi connected discs will connect to the best disc based on signal strength and number of Wi-Fi links between it and the primary disc - so sometimes they connect via another disc and sometimes direct to the primary disc, depending on your environment.

Dan-O

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 3

Re: Whole Home functionality question

Hi Dan-O,

Thanks for the reply.

I have a few additional questions on this subject, I’m hoping you may be able to help.

1 - Is there a way to see how the discs have connected?

2 - Does the network map on settings show how the discs are connecting? Or does this always show them as being connected directly to the master disc?

3 - Do the discs change what disc they connect to on real time? For example if I move a disc will it automatically determine the best disc to connect to and update? Or is it determined at setup when selecting the disc location?

I am asking as in my case I have 3 discs in the ground floor, the master disc and discs 1 and 2.

Disc 2 is a couple of rooms from the master disc, and Disc 4 is located on the first floor directly above Disc 2.

So I would expect Disc 4 to connect to Disc 2, as it is ouch closer to it than it is to the master disc. But the network map makes it look like it is connecting to the master disc.

Thanks

0 Ratings