Whole Home - mixed wifi and ethernet connections

Go to solution

Hi,

I have 4 whole home discs, which i'm trying to set up as follows:

Disc 1 - Ethernet connection to TP Link Router
Disc 2 - Ethernet connection over powerline connection to TP Link Router
Disc 3 - Wireless connection

Disc 4 - Wireless connection

On the app it appears i have two separate networks, each containing one of the Ethernet connected disks 1 and 2, with the wireless connected discs being connected to either disc 1 or disc 2. All the discs appear on the app, but the ones on the "other" whole him network are shown in red, with a connection problem. If i use the web UI on my macbook, it only shows the disc(s) in in the particular whole home networks I am connected to (although I am having problems with my macbook connecting at all, since the December firmware update, which i am trying to resolved on a different thread!) 

Disc 1 and disc 2 are on different wifi channels, with discs 3 and 4 being on the same wifi channel as the ethernet connected disc in the same whole home network. 

Is this how it is supposed to work now, or is there a way to get all the discs on the same network? I have previously managed to have this working before the December firmware update. 

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 2 of 12

Re: Whole Home - mixed wifi and ethernet connections

Go to solution

Hi @js25

I'd suggest you factory reset the disc that is on different Wi-Fi channels (you mention 3 and 4 are on the same channel as the Ethernet disc) as this means it is not synchronised with the rest of the network.

Ensure the disc is plugged on and connected to Ethernet, with a solid blue LED. Then press the reset button for 1 second, the LED will go off then solid purple. Once it has rebooted and gone blue you should see a flashing purple LED after 15 seconds or so.

You may wish to remove the disc from the app and re-add again when doing this.

Community ModeratorDanO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on BT Devices queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, and help where I can with BT device queries. Go here for more info.
0 Ratings
js25
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

Hi @Dan-O

I've done the factory reset on disc 2 (the one connected to ethernet via a powerline adapter), got the flashing purple LED, then removed the existing disc in theapp (shown in red as offline), and then added it as a new disc. It showed up fine in the app, but my other 3 discs were now showing as offline in red. (This disc is in the attic where the study is).

When i go downstairs in range of the other discs, the app just shows these 3 discs, and nothing for disc 2. I tried adding disc 2 again when i was downstairs but just get the message "unable to detect new disc". 

However all 4 discs are working on the same wifi channels for both 2.4GHz & 5GHz. 

0 Ratings
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

Interesting - which model of Powerline(s) are you using?

Some models do not pass multicast traffic properly, which blocks the disc to disc discovery protocol and will make them appear to be missing on the app.

Community ModeratorDanO
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on BT Devices queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, and help where I can with BT device queries. Go here for more info.
js25
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

I'm using TP-link AV 1200 powerline adapters (with the wifi off).

0 Ratings
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

As you're not using the Wi-Fi - can you try swapping the Powerline units round to see if this makes a difference?

Also are you able to directly connect this disc via Ethernet to check (just to rule out any other issues)?

Community ModeratorDanO
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”
0 Ratings
js25
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

Hi @Dan-O

Swapping the Powerline units didn’t make any difference. However connecting directly to the router the disc worked fine and showed up on the network. 

John.

0 Ratings
js25
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

Hi @Dan-O 

I've just done a firmware upgrade on the powerline adapter, which has solved the problem - all 4 discs now showing as connected. Thanks for pointing me in the direction of checking out the powerline adapter!

Prior to this I also disabled IGMP snooping on my main TP-link router - I'm not sure whether this helped or not, but I've left it disabled. 

John

0 Ratings
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

@js25 wrote:

Hi @Dan-O 

I've just done a firmware upgrade on the powerline adapter, which has solved the problem - all 4 discs now showing as connected. Thanks for pointing me in the direction of checking out the powerline adapter!

Prior to this I also disabled IGMP snooping on my main TP-link router - I'm not sure whether this helped or not, but I've left it disabled. 

John

Excellent news - thank you for the update. Glad you're all working now.

Community ModeratorDanO
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”
grahaml
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

My system shows the same...each Ethernet connected disc generates a wireless network and in the app if your connected to one network the other discs show red and vice versa. It looks like an app problem and also the web browser only shows the network for the disc you’re connected to so it seems the system doesn’t show networks radiating from the hub it seems to work backwards from a disc ....it all seems to work ok though, just not what one expects.

0 Ratings