cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BBrady
Beginner
Message 1 of 26

Whole Home wifi keeps dropping out

Hello, I am new to using the WholeHome Wifi system and struggling a bit to fine tune it. We have just moved into an old large house so I am using this system to give me good coverage, have a five disc set up . Now when it works it is brilliant, really fast speed around the whole house. But it is doing odd things. 

1 - It will from time to time suddenly drop the internet - all devices are then off line and the app confirms no network. If I turn each disk off and then on then it will slowly come back online. 

2 - This morning was a different issue - the main network went offline but the Guest network did not. So the different devices switched automatically to the guest network.  Then after a while the main network came back on line. 

Thus I am getting an inconsistent internet connectivity which is serious for me as I do a lot of internet meetings and I cannot afford to be on a unreliable internet link. 

I have logged into my network via my computer and can see the network but have no idea how or if I need to change any of the settings. 

Does anyone else have these drop out problems? 

cheers

BB

0 Ratings
25 REPLIES 25
Highlighted
MangoMan2020
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 26

Re: Whole Home wifi keeps dropping out

Yes, a lot of people 

Basically BT messed up the latest firmware, along with a number of devices recently getting updates too, its all contributed to the The BT Whole Home WiFi being more or less unusable for some people.

Lots of threads on it in the forum, BT looking into it. No idea when a fix is coming. I'm about to send mine back having only recently purchased (was hoping for a quick fix).

0 Ratings
IanD2
Contributor
Message 3 of 26

I'm finding similar. It seems that my system just randomly restarts every few hours or so, but no real pattern to it.

Did it this morning at about 0730. The Google Home stopped playing the radio this morning. Looked at the 'master disc' and it was mid reboot showing purple LED. Once it's rebooted everything is back on track.

Hoping they sort this soon as when it's working, it's a fantastic system.

0 Ratings
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 4 of 26

Hi @BBrady

Sorry to hear you're having issues.

For point 1 - if all devices are losing connection together, it sounds like either a single disc doesn't have a stable connection or your router Ethernet port connection isn't stable - either some sort of power management function is turning off the port or the cable is faulty. What signal strength and band are your discs showing when working?

For point 2 - do you have any schedules set up for the Guest Wi-Fi? I'm assuming all of your devices have the details for both the Guest and Main networks?

Thanks,

Dan-O

Device expertDanO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
BBrady
Beginner
Message 5 of 26

Hi Dan -O ,

Thanks for your reply. 

Point 1 - I have:

Disk 1 - the Primary Disk - Band 5 Ghz, Signal strength -84dBm

Disk 2  Signal strength -62 dBm 5 Ghz 

Disk 3  is -49dBm  5Ghz

Disk 4  is -52 dBm  5Ghz

Disk 5 is -71 dBm 5Ghz

Point 2 - there are no schedules for the Guest Network but it is on my devices as I was checking that it worked OK. 

cheers

BBrady

0 Ratings
BBrady
Beginner
Message 6 of 26

Re: Whole Home wifi still keeps dropping out

I am still having serious problems with my BT Wholehome wifi. It will just drop the internet, which is a real problem as all of my work is through web conferencing, so I cannot have any sort of drop out. 

So I have now plugged my two different computers into ethelnet cables into the back of two different disks, this works fine for a while but I still get drop out, on both computers off of different disks at the same time.  Since it is happening to both computers at the same time I am assuming it is something wrong with the disk, not the computers. 

The odd thing is that the TV, that also works of a third disk, is still picking up the internet.  I have even changed disk around but still getting drop out. 

Does anyone have any clue as to what I can try next? 

Thanks in advance

BBrady

0 Ratings
dingwap
Beginner
Message 7 of 26

I've also started having problems with my Whole Home WiFi after a couple of months of good service and stability.

1 - web interface doesn't display properly. I'm unable to access:

- Overview and Devices from the Status menu

- Access Control, IP Addressing and Internet from the Settings menu

- Information and System log from the System menu

2 - Internet access completely drops out requiring a full reboot of the master disc or a restart of all discs

With the web interface I've tried accessing from Safari and Chrome fro MacOS, and Internet Explorer, Chrome and Edge from a PC, using either the DNS name or IP address. Same poor experience from all browsers.

The Internet connectivity is solid from devices which are connected via Ethernet.

I don't use the HomeHub as I've had all sorts of issues with that and had three separate HH6s which never worked, so I have a Linksys router connected into the BT Infinity Modem.

0 Ratings
Steve59
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 26

Check out the work around which works for some on this thread

https://community.bt.com/t5/Connected-Devices-Other/Very-close-to-returning-my-2nd-BT-Whole-Home-WiF...

NOTE:- if you do implement this then please ensure you email the Help line to log the issue

0 Ratings
BBrady
Beginner
Message 9 of 26

Thanks Steve,

I have copied to my clipboard. What I did is I phoned BT and got them to check the line for a stable connection. They then tested the line, saw problems and 'rebooted it' . So far today it has been stable with no drop out. If it does start dropping out again I will try your fix, but at the moment I will wait to see if it was a line fix has worked. 

Thank you for pointing me to this fix. 

BBrady 

0 Ratings
Steve59
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 26

I think the fix is only if the discs appear to be connected to the internet and your
devices are connected to the wifi but do not have an internet connection
0 Ratings