Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jonbigtelly
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 86

Whole Home with more than 3 discs

Go to solution

I have just purchased a Whole Home system and am wondering whether you can add further discs to the set up

or if I go beyond 3 will I need to have 2 seperate SSID's ? 

My house is on 3 floors and I have an outbuilding which is connected to the main house by Ethernet cable so 

was hoping to plug a 4th Disc in down there but only if it will work on the same SSID.

Thx in advance for any help

0 Ratings
85 REPLIES 85
Message 2 of 86

Re: Whole Home with more than 3 discs

Go to solution

Hi @jonbigtelly and welcome.

You can't currently add extra discs but it is coming and we'll post up to let you know further details when we get them.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
jonbigtelly
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 86

Go to solution

Hi David,

That's good news , I called BT and they said that the only way to do this was to purchase another 3 pack and

run 2 seperate SSID's which clearly is not ideal.

I did read through the other Forums and bought a second pack prior to your message and the call to BT, any idea

of timeframe as not sure it will do what I need without the extra discs and wondering whether to send it back

while I still have the option.

Think I will try the 1st pack tonight with 2 discs in the house and 1 in the outbuilding see if that will work in the short

term while I wait for the extra discs to be added to functionality.

I assume its a software issue rather than a hardware one, my set up at present consists of 3 Airport extremes but

they do not let go of the AP's so you end up connected to weak signal where a really strong one is available so am

hoping this will cure that issue.

All my Discs will be hard wired as I have ethernet cabling all round the house.

Appreciate your time

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 86

Go to solution

Thanks for getting back @jonbigtelly.

Sorry but I haven't been given a timeframe on adding extra discs. I'd agree that buying a second set is a bit extreme but you might manage with one set. Let me know how it goes.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
jonbigtelly
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 86

Go to solution

Sorry David bit confused,

Is the issue that you have to buy another set or is the software in need of an update to add a 4th disc as

I am happy to break up the second set if that enables me to have 4 discs just don't want the hassle of 2 SSID's.

Cheers

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 86

Go to solution

Sory for the confusion there @jonbigtelly. I've been in touch with product support about this. You can't add any further discs at present but that will be available soon. If you get 2 sets they will have seperate SSIDs.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
jonbigtelly
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 86

Go to solution

OK thanks for clearing that up, Will test out set 1 tonight and return set 2.

Will let you know how I get on.

0 Ratings
jonbigtelly
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 86

Go to solution
Well I set them up last night as per other users I have Ethernet cabling to various points so tried to use that but as soon as I plug in the Ethernet cable to any unit other than the first my network crashes.
Second issue I have is that after changing my network name and password I am now connected to the wholehome but the app says that I am not , anybody else experienced this ?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 86

Go to solution

I suspect that connecting an Ethernet cable to more than one AP causes a 'loop' and you then get a 'broadcast storm'.

Assume you have the Ethernet from AP1 connected to the Hub on port 1 and the Ethernet on AP2 connected to the Hub on port 2. When a broadcast packet comes from port 1 of the Hub via Ethernet to AP1, it is then sent across the Whole Home WiFi 'backhaul' to AP2, which then sends it onto the Ethernet to the Hub port 2, which then sends it back onto port 1.... and so the cycle continues.

As Ethernet frames have no concept of a 'Time To Live' in the header, every broadcast and unknown unicast packet will circulate through that path forever.

Can't comment on the second issue as I've never seen or touched these.

Regards

jonbigtelly
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 86

Go to solution

Hi @smf22 ,

Thx vm for the quick reply.

That could well be the case as I have had exactly that issue with wired Sonos products, the only way to 

avoid that was to turn off wifi on all those Sonos devices that were hardwired but I guess with this system 

thats not going to be possible , This was to do with Spanning Tree Protocol.

However if you read BT's Q and A it says that they can be hardwired if the distances are too great which lead

me to believe this would work along with another users post which said he was using them in exactly that way.

I also have another issue, the 3 discs all seem to have the same MAC address which is causing my router (Draytek)

to say that I have IP conflicts , any ideas on how to get round this ?

I am getting decent connection wirelessly so will leave the Ethernet unplugged for the moment.

On the whole I like the system it switches between the Discs very efficiently and I am getting far better connection

on the whole than I was with the 3 Airport Extremes.

0 Ratings