Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 11 of 86

Re: Whole Home with more than 3 discs

Go to solution

@jonbigtelly said "That could well be the case as I have had exactly that issue with wired Sonos products, the only way to avoid that was to turn off wifi on all those Sonos devices that were hardwired but I guess with this system thats not going to be possible , This was to do with Spanning Tree Protocol."

Or rather the lack Spanning Tree. As I guess you're aware, the Spanning Tree Protocol is a mechanism to logically break a path such there are no longer any loops. I suspect Whole Home WiFi creates loops and so suffers in the same way as the Sonos did.

As you say, the BT Q&A Can I connect the Wi-Fi discs using the Ethernet port? does say the AP can be connected by Ethernet and refers to 'discs' i.e., plural, but I suspect the assumption with this answer is that the discs are no longer within WiFi range of each other, and hence the 'loop' is broken that way.

Not sure as to why the AP would all have the same MAC and IP address. Mesh WiFi APs are considered as routers that pass traffic between them over the backhaul, but to do that each AP must have a different MAC and IP on the backhaul . I assume the IP conflict is the address in the 192.168.1.0/24 range that you use to connect with your iOS or Android app.

Due to the small number of these deployed, and the limited information published as to how they operate, I think the question on the duplicate IP is one that @DavidM could perhaps take back to the BT product management for clarification.

Interesting stuff..... almost makes me want to get some to play with Smiley Wink

Regards

jonbigtelly
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 86

Go to solution

@smf22 I have solved the IP conflict problem by logging into the devices on a webpage and assigning them

Static IP addresses, It was not the IP addresses which were the same it was the MAC address that were showing as the 

same but that was causing my router to report an IP issue.

They seem to be good products and I will test the theory about Ethernet by popping one in my Gym at the bottom of the 

Garden which has an Ethernet cable running back to the house and let you know if that causes problems.

Highlighted
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 13 of 86

Go to solution

Thanks for posting back. I'm sure it'll help others in the future.

0 Ratings
brummygit
Aspiring Expert
Message 14 of 86

Go to solution

I've posted this elsewhere but for completeness here, the discs can all be ethernet connected if required. I'm using them in this way myself (see below) and the FAQs confirm that they should work like this. I'm also confident that they don't need spanning tree to function as I've got more than one disc connected to the same eithernet switch which doesn't support spanning tree.

My suggestion is to perform a full factory reset on each disc and connect them one at a time as per a new installation. I've reset mine a couple of times and had no problems with duplicate IP addressing or crashes. My firmware is v1.01.11 build13

WHWiFi.JPG

0 Ratings
Bscott
Message 15 of 86

Go to solution
Hi, any update on the availability of adding extra discs above the original 3? I definitely need a 4th possibly a 5th so this would be great. Will they be available to purchase as singles? Thanks!
0 Ratings
engelbertink
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 86

BT Whole Home WiFi * adding more than standard 3 nodes ("Add Another Disc")

Go to solution

Hi!

I just bought 2x BT Whole Home WiFi so I have 2x3=6 nodes to connect. Setting up the first 3 nodes with the app works smooth but I want to connect more of these nodes to improve the reach of my WiFI at home.

I have changed the default SSID and password of the BT WholeHome WiFi to match the SSID and password I already had on my BT Smart Hub 6 so all my devices connected automatically. I disabled the WIFi on my BT Smart Hub and are just using the BT kit for my WiFi mesh as recommended. I removed my BT extender 750 and BT WiFi Home Hotspot.

Smiley Happy

Now it's time to install more nodes...

When I'm in the app and select Settings/Add Another Disc, the 4th node gives me a red light. I think it might have to do with the default Wireless Network (SSID = BTWholeHome-CNF) of the next set of 3 being different. Default SSIDs seem to differ from set to set. So I unplugged the network cable from the original node connected to my BT Smart Hub and switched it off. I connected the new 4th node via network cable to my BT Smart Hub and powered it up. I got a blue light, connected to the node via my PC and changed the SSID and password in order to exactly match my original set. All fine so far. I then powered the 4th node down, unplugged the network cable and reconnected my original node to the BT Smart Hub.

If I now power up my 4th node I get a RED light...

Smiley Mad

What do you suggest I do different so I'm able to connect the nodes of my next BT Whole Home WiFi set to enlarge my WiFi reach?

THANKS FOR ALL IDEAS!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 86

Re: BT Whole Home WiFi ***** How to connect more than 3 nodes/discs?

Go to solution

@engelbertink

Please read the last few post in this thread, which relate to this product.

0 Ratings
engelbertink
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 86

Re: Introducing Whole Home Wi-Fi

Go to solution

Thanks for clarifying that - not happy tho as I was told differently.

This brings me to the next question to get around it...

Does each disc have to be connected to the main disc which is ethernet wired to my HH6?

Or can you basically put the discs in a straight line  with #3 (too far from #1) but in reach of #2?

Can I put a BT WiFi extender 750 at the border of the mesh to reach out further (with downside of creating another SSID)?

Super thanks for your highly valued expertise!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 86

Go to solution

@engelbertink

I have moved your posts to this thread, as its more relevant to your question.

0 Ratings
brummygit
Aspiring Expert
Message 20 of 86

Re: Introducing Whole Home Wi-Fi

Go to solution

I would suggest a call to the official BT support for Whole Home WiFi.

The advice you get on here is from well meaning amateurs (incl myself in this) with very limited experience of the system, and even less experience of trying to add discs to a 3 disc network.

You may well get the same answers, but at least you'll have the official answers.

0 Ratings