Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
engelbertink
Aspiring Contributor
Message 41 of 86

Re: Whole Home with more than 3 discs

Go to solution
That's what I heard from several others as well... 'a loop creating a packet storm'.

Anyone experiencing this and found a solution?
0 Ratings
Hippogriff
Contributor
Message 42 of 86

Go to solution

@grayedout wrote:

I am just about to buy this set up with maybe 4 disc in total . can more than the main unit be hardwired?   as I have a massive dead spot from one side of the ouse to the other and also I outbuild . all areas are connect with LAN ethernet cable via a unmanaged gigbit switch ?

Best

Andy

Yes, this works fine - all 4 of my discs are connected via wires (and via a Switch), only 1 is plugged into the router itself.

0 Ratings
engelbertink
Aspiring Contributor
Message 43 of 86

Go to solution
So what does a switch do? Is it a separate piece of equipment directing traffic?
Is it connected to the router? Which BT discs should be Ethernet wired to it?
0 Ratings
robson
Beginner
Message 44 of 86

Go to solution

I have had an extremely frustrating time trying to set up a 4th disc. As far as I can see I've followed the instructions, I've updated the firmware, and I've had a blue light on my 4th disc when connected via ethernet. However, as soon as I try moving it - red light.

0 Ratings
engelbertink
Aspiring Contributor
Message 45 of 86

Go to solution
Just to make sure...

Reset your 4th disc (only connection is power cable)... maybe 2x just to make sure

Connect 4th disc direct to router (not via switch or anything else and use the BT Ethernet cable)

Add 4th disc via app instructions and give it time to do whatever it needs doing

Once it has copied WiFi credentials, power it off and unplug Ethernet cable.
Power it on without Ethernet cable and give it time say 5min.

Fingers crossed!
0 Ratings
Oxlade1
Aspiring Expert
Message 46 of 86

Go to solution
Second Engelbertink. Try factory resetting the 4th disc and wait for it to boot. Watch for the flashing purple LED to finish before you unplug or it won't connect.
0 Ratings
robson
Beginner
Message 47 of 86

Go to solution

Thanks both - worked this time.

0 Ratings
rickbon
Aspiring Contributor
Message 48 of 86

Re: BT Whole Home WiFi ***** How to connect more than 3 nodes/discs?

Go to solution

Hi Keith Beddoe - I have one of my BT WH wifi discs gone red on me and I cannot reset it to join again - it goes red now during set up immediately after it had just gone solid blue. I have done a factory reset on the disc and removed and re-added it including re-locating and renaming it, but it goes all the way through and just turns red from the solid blue. My set up is about 1 week old and all had been fine.

Well I read in your post that you have private site with lots of help. Useful I hope and thanks for doing it. But when I use your link I am disallowed from seeing it as BT (correctly) identifies me as not using BT broadband - yes, I get my broadband from Virgin. And as the WH info says, one can use anyone's broadband to attaxh the whole home solution to.

Do you have any ideas, taken from your provate help site? Thanks.

rickbon

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Oxlade1
Aspiring Expert
Message 49 of 86

Go to solution

@rickbon wrote:

Hi Keith Beddoe - I have one of my BT WH wifi discs gone red on me and I cannot reset it to join again - it goes red now during set up immediately after it had just gone solid blue. I have done a factory reset on the disc and removed and re-added it including re-locating and renaming it, but it goes all the way through and just turns red from the solid blue. My set up is about 1 week old and all had been fine.

Well I read in your post that you have private site with lots of help. Useful I hope and thanks for doing it. But when I use your link I am disallowed from seeing it as BT (correctly) identifies me as not using BT broadband - yes, I get my broadband from Virgin. And as the WH info says, one can use anyone's broadband to attaxh the whole home solution to.

Do you have any ideas, taken from your provate help site? Thanks.

rickbon

You should install the other discs and ensure they show blue LEDs. Then connect the problem disc into your router with another Ethernet cable and wait for it to boot up (show solid blue or red). Then press reset while in this state. Wait for it to boot again, then remove the Ethernet cable.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 50 of 86

Go to solution

@rickbon

You would be best to ask on the Virgin user forum, as there are probably other Virgin Media users with the same equipment.

Information on my website is only specific to BT Broadband, and there is very little about the Whole Home Wifi, as there are a number of existing threads on this forum already.

0 Ratings