cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maldrich
Message 71 of 86

Re: Whole Home with more than 3 discs

Go to solution

Now I seem to have another problem on set up - when I go to the check location on the app I am constantly getting no connection even when I stand right next to the first disc with the blue light! The 3 existing discs all blue light and working fine. Any ideas? I have tried rebooting the app

0 Ratings
maldrich
Message 72 of 86

Go to solution

now sorted - thanks all

0 Ratings
Caxton
Message 73 of 86

Go to solution

I've read through everything and tried everything suggested. I would be really grateful for advice on adding a fourth disc without a red light.

Can anyone explain the secret. Tried telephoning BT support, they don't have a solution, other than try again but always red light!

0 Ratings
choddo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 74 of 86

Go to solution

Have you tried putting it in the same room as the main disc to see if it can connect there?

0 Ratings
choddo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 75 of 86

Go to solution

Well @Dan-O, I'm now on 1.02.04 build 10 and it does finally seem to connect via another hop more readily - my furthest disc went orange/poor with a direct connection at first after the upgrade.

15 minutes later it's connected to the "middle" disc.

Cool 🙂

Are there release notes published anywhere to explain what's changed in each update?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Yorkie29
Contributor
Message 76 of 86

Go to solution

Caxton - Presumably your fourth disk is from a different pack from the first three.  It must therefore be plugged directly into you router to align itself with the existing network.  Apologies if you have already tried this. 

I share you pain though I'm still trying to get a consistent mesh network running with four disks.  One week in and I'm constatnly having to reset network - each morning we wake up wondering which of the disks has gone offline and disks switch from Excellent to none, to poor to good in a few minutes. Never yet managed to get all four units showing Good yet alone Excellent - and this is in a house that BT advises that three units are sufficient.

0 Ratings
pearsor19
Message 77 of 86

Go to solution

I found this thread really useful and thought I'd share my experience setting up whole home WiFi with 6 discs.

After taking advice from BT, I purchased 2 packs of 3 discs (they were on special offer). Setting up the first 3 as per the instructions was a doddle. Plugging in each of the second set of 3 discs into the router in order to copy over the SSID etc took longer than expected - patience is needed to allow them to go through a couple of cycles of purple LED, flashing blue LED, solid blue LED, but once done, they connected to the network easily. I was able to use the iPhone App to set up all 6 with no problem.

There was then a bit of a wobble as over the next few hours some discs would show up as red and disconnected on the app, but with solid blue lights on the discs themselves. As the discs came back, they tried to connect in odd configurations (2 discs farthest apart trying to connect directly) which lead to many orange LED, weak signal situations.

I turned all discs off at the plug, waited a bit then turned tham all back on, one by one, starting with the first one connected to the router and then the one that I thought would have the strongest connection etc etc. This worked fine. I had to move a couple of discs slightly to get good connections, but everything seems to be stable and working as it should.

I was slightly disappointed that 6 discs didn't give me the extent of coverage that I was hoping for - I was hopeful that I would get coverage into some outbuildings and into the garden, but this doesn't seem to be the case. I do have a largish house that is partially on 3 floors and has some very thick brick walls, so I'm not too disappointed. I have positioned all the discs so that I get good connections. I might try moving some slightly, risking slightly less good connections as a trade-off for wider coverage.

In summary then, pretty pleased with the whole home wifi. It was relatively straightforward to set up and, admittedly after only a couple of days, seems to be working well and is pretty stable. I would recommend anyone with a large house purchasing 2 sets of 3 and going for a six disc setup.

0 Ratings
jabberwock48
Beginner
Message 78 of 86

Go to solution

Hello

I have 3 packs of 2 (much cheaper than 2 packs of 3). Obviously do not want to 'upgrade'to latest flaky software. By dint of using app separately on each pair, I have been able to label each disc appropriately and then changed all 3 pairs to the same SSID and password via PC and . So logging in to the network all 6 appear correctly.

However I have failed to get the pairs to connect via 5 GHz so at the moment have 4 connected vi ethernet. Has anybody found a way of doing this via the WPS function rather than the app 'Add a Disc' which infuriatingly will only work after 'upgrading'  the firmware. On my first attemt at installion with 4 discs this seemed to work. However I reset them all to factory state as I had not done the labelling correctly and cannot seem to repeat it.

0 Ratings
Yorkie29
Contributor
Message 79 of 86

Go to solution
Whatever you do DO NOT upgrade the software. Add a disk works just fine on the previous version - just follow the instructions about plugging news ones directly into your router. Don't think having 3 separate networks of 2 disks even with same SSID is going to work - you'll just have three separate networks that compete with each other rather than one seemless network.
0 Ratings
jabberwock48
Beginner
Message 80 of 86

Go to solution

Hello

No there is only one network, SSID and password. Not clever enough to insert snip showing the 6 discs in a network on the status page. The only problem is that I want at least one disc to communicate via 5Ghz with another rather than as at present with the network via a Devolo plug.

Not sure if plugging directly into router will acheive this. If so do I leave the 'master' disc and its mate (it is the mate that I need the communication with) also plugged into the router. And do i use the WPS buttons at all.

Will most certainly not upgrade the software as do not need the fancier features anyway

0 Ratings