Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
XAPPO
Beginner
Message 21 of 86

Re: Introducing Whole Home Wi-Fi

Go to solution

I just called BT support. They told me that I could buy two 3 packs and use them all as a single SSID network ! She referred to some internal document that stated this was possible... with a couple of reservations re the current app.

She  said that I could add the 4th unit ok and manage it from the app but the 5th and 6th would not 'currently' show up in the app but could have their passwords (SSID?) set via the web interface. When adding the 5th and 6th (maybe the 4th too) I had to use an Ethernet wired cable and attach to the same router as the 1st unit and physically close to It. Once the light turned blue these 5th and 6th (4th) disks could be moved to their intended remote locations and would mesh correctly using just one SSID.

in my particular setup I intend them to have wired Ethernet connections and she confirmed this would be fine.

Now I'm not an existing user but this doesn't seem quite inline with this thread but I might buy two packs as they are at a good price and with a returnable guarantee.   Does anyone know if the information provided is accurate and workable or not ?

0 Ratings
Marktheharp
Aspiring Contributor
Message 22 of 86

Re: Whole Home with more than 3 discs

Go to solution
That's interesting as I'm tempted to buy a second set as they are now £199. I bought a set on 7 April, as I have quite a large area to cover since my house is very spread out. I have to say after a bit of fiddling with disc locations, it is absolutely brilliant and gives me the full Internet speed available (although in my case it's only 15mbps as I'm in a rural location).

But in response to your specific question, I had a similar reply, from the helpdesk, as below:

Hi

Thanks for contacting the BT Connected Home Helpdesk. The current App version is only designed to support 4 discs, but we already have plans in place to include multiple additional discs. However it will be at least three months away due to development of the firmware/App and quality control testing before release.

Regards
BT Connected Home Helpdesk
0 Ratings
Marktheharp
Aspiring Contributor
Message 23 of 86

Go to solution
I would just add, that when I say I'm "almost" tempted to buy a second set, it's because the coverage is so amazing with my current three even though one of the discs says reception is poor. So I could probably get away without buying a second set and this is a house with 5000 ft². I would say, especially if you can buy it at the £199 price, definitely get one. It's cured the family squabbles in this house!
0 Ratings
engelbertink
Aspiring Contributor
Message 24 of 86

Go to solution
Ohh £199 where?

So a 4th disc works for you with the same SSID?? It didn't for me tho. I even changed the default SSID on the 4th disc to match that of the other 3 including admin password and wireless key but always red light. 😡
0 Ratings
XAPPO
Beginner
Message 25 of 86

Go to solution

I had hoped that someone from BT product support might have clarified this before but have just ordered two sets as I wanted to take advantage of the limited time price - I'll let you know what I find.  

0 Ratings
engelbertink
Aspiring Contributor
Message 26 of 86

Go to solution

£199 now everywhere from £299 to £249 a week ago!

BT told me only 3 discs work (so 1 set). They need software and firmware upgrades to make it possible for a 4th, 5th etc disc to be connected.

Timeframe: 4 months so we are talking Q4.

I wish BT was as flexible as Currys... I called BT to give me the £50 refund as i'm within my 14 days (actually 4) of owning the product and the price has dropped again. They say they can't do it.... so BT-like! I will now have a bag sent to me to have the working product returned to get a refund to buy the same product and have it delivered by the inflexible ParcelForce.

I decided to go with Currys for a FREE next day delivery (at any spot, no need for signature) and FREE collection for return if you don't like it by the same courier. Currys also gave me straight away the £50 refund because the price dropped. A shame but Currys is so much more efficient than BT with a BT product...

0 Ratings
Message 27 of 86

Go to solution
I managed to add another three disks following the guidance that XAPPO posted. The app only shows four disks, but it seems to be working well. I've got a strong signal and good bandwidth everywhere in the house which I didn't get with three disks.
0 Ratings
engelbertink
Aspiring Contributor
Message 28 of 86

Go to solution

If you want to connecting the 5th and 6th disc, the procedure is exactly the same as the 4th!

1. Connect the 4/5/6th disc via ethernet cable to the router
  2. Turn power on disc
  3. Wait for the disc to have a solid blue light (say 5min) so SSID settings/paswword are coppied
  4. Turn power off disc
  5. Disconnect ethernet cable from disc
  6. Turn power on disc

Voila!

0 Ratings
Marktheharp
Aspiring Contributor
Message 29 of 86

Go to solution

Thanks, @Scottymacscott that's really useful to know. I'm going to buy a second set on the strength of that as I'm having occasional connection problems with the three disks.

I paid £249 for my first set but don't begrudge it. But excellent to get another for £199 (less if I risk a used one from Amazon).

Cheers!

Mark

0 Ratings
Marktheharp
Aspiring Contributor
Message 30 of 86

Go to solution

Even better - just bought a brand new set for £175! (ebay UK, still in shrinkwrap)

0 Ratings