cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

Whole home and Smart hub question.

Go to solution

Hi,

I am about to install a 4 disc set up using the BT smart hub router. I am okay with the setup but have a question in relation to the operation.

When they are all running does it make the router part of the modem obsolete as you are using the discs. If so, with the discs in operation, if connected to the smart hub would it still work?

Finally, if it doesnt can I do the following. Can i go into the smart hub and turn off the wifi so it just uses the discs? Would I then be able to connect my phillips hue via ethernet to a disc, the same for a sonos boost etc?

Thanks

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: Whole home and Smart hub question.

Go to solution

I'm a bit confused by your terminology here. The hub is a combined modem/router if you are connected to the master socket and have FTTC (fibre to the cabinet) or purely a router if you are connected to FTTP (fibre to the premises). The whole home discs are just a wifi mesh network and don't have any routing capability unlike some mesh systems so the hub is required as a router. However, it is not required to enable the wifi on the hub. You can connect your Ethernet devices to the hub or the discs.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: Whole home and Smart hub question.

Go to solution

Hi worrum,

Yes, essentially the Wi-Fi on the Router/Hub is no longer needed - as the Wi-Fi from the WHW discs will be your new Wi-Fi network.

It's recommended to disable the Wi-Fi on the Router/Hub after setting up the WHW Discs - this will just reduce any unnecessary interference/noise from the Router/Hub.

You can connect Ethernet devices to either the Router/Hub or a WHW Disc.  However, if you connect an Ethernet Device to the Router/Hub you won't be able to view this in the BT Whole Home App (so won't be able to apply any access controls features within the BT Whole Home App etc.).

I hope this helps

Many Thanks

Darren_B