cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Marksgee
Message 1 of 4

Whole home device management restrictions

I bought this system for one simple reason; to limit internet time for my kids.  Can someone therefore help me understand how to do this. My system is all set up and works brilliantly. The broadband comes through a Netgear wireless router. As I understand it the netgear router has to stay on to feed the broadband through to the whole home.

So on the kids xboxes and phones I have removed the connection to nnetgear so that they have to connect to whole home which I can control.

Once they sussed this out the following day they just get back on their xboxes and search for wireless networks and hook back up with the netgear router again thus avoiding whole home controls,!

Am I being thick here or is this system flawed. I bought whole home specifically because it advertised this “control” and surely many other parents did too! I can’t  turn off the netgear router. Yes, I could change the password on the router but that’s not the point. I want all household devices going through whole home only.

please help!!!

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Whole home device management restrictions

The system cannot control access unless devices connect directly to it. Why not simply turn the wireless off on the Netgear?

I do not know much about the BT system, but if the master disc is directly connected to your router by Ethernet, then there is no need for the wireless on the Netgear to be turned on, as that would defeat the the object of the system.

0 Ratings
Marksgee
Message 3 of 4

Thanks Keith. My kids aren’t dumb. If they see the wireless is off on the router they will just switch it back on again so we’ll end up in a kids on, dad off war! Still a problem. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

They should not be able to access the router if its password protected.

Perhaps you need a wired router without any wireless facility? If it has external aerials, then simply remove them, as that will reduce the wireless range to almost nothing.

I cannot see why this is an issue with the BT Whole Home system, and I am sure one of the BT Device experts would agree.

0 Ratings