cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Whole home disks

Go to solution

Hi guys

quick question before I create problems for myself, can  the SSID for the Whole home disks be the same as is setup for the router or is it better to have different ? 

Thanks 

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Whole home disks

Go to solution
Your better to turn the wifi off on the router (as the first disk would probably be very near it ?) then set the disks to the same SSID and password.
In that way, you dont have to enter new wifi details in all your devices.
if you are running the first disk quite a way away from the router and want to keep the wifi on the router then it might cause problems as the mesh will not be able to steer a device away from the router to the discs.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution
Thank you 👍🏻
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

Yes, once set up you can just give the whole home discs the same SSID/pw as your router wifi, that way you don't need to reconfigure all your devices.  The mesh system is designed to replace the function of the  Wireless AP in your router.

Just be sure to disable the WiFi on the router once the mesh network is up and configured.  You don't want to cause contention issues.

Once you've done that, power cycle all your wifi gadgets to make sure they have a fresh connection to your mesh.  I did notice that I had to redo the network set up on my Blink Link (video camera system) box again following the change, as it was behaving a bit strangely.  All my other stuff (phones, tablets, laptops, kindles, chromecasts) were fine.

0 Ratings