cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lyn17
Beginner
Message 1 of 20

Whole home network. Help me add 3 more discs please !!

Hi. I have the whole home network with 3 discs. One disc wired by Ethernet to bt hh5 which has its wifi turned off.
I would like to add a further three discs. Can anyone help please ? I'm not technical. So it needs to be explained as if to an idiot ! Thanks in advance
0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
flamethrower
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 20

Re: Whole home network. Help me add 3 more discs please !!

Hi @Lyn17

Welcome to the BT Community Forums.

There was a post this morning by @ioannis saying that they had 6 discs working:

https://community.bt.com/t5/Connected-Devices-Other/Extending-my-whole-home-network/m-p/1773810/high...

It's my impression from these forums that people have felt a lot of pain trying to have more than 4 discs. There is a long thread here that is marked as a solution so maybe that can provide some pointers:

https://community.bt.com/t5/Connected-Devices-Other/Whole-Home-with-more-than-3-discs/td-p/1703818

Cheers

P.

0 Ratings
ioannis
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 20

Its dead simple. First off all, uninstall the app. Its useless with anything more than 4 disks and I have found it to be more of a pain than help - it actually caused my network to crash when fiddling with it so just delete it.

Secondly get your fourth disk, plug it in the same router as the first base disk. Plug it in and wait for the light to turn blue and stop flashing. Then unplug it and power it off from the button on the back. Repeat this process for every remaining disk you have. Once done place them to their final positions and turn them on. 

You can see the disks by using the web URL which is http://mybtdevice.home and type in the admin password on the back of your main disk. There you will see all your connected disks (all 6 of them). I've found that the network stability is greatly improved by doing the following:

1. Click settings

2. Click wireless

3. Change the 2.4ghz channel to 1

4. Change the 5ghz channel to 36

5. Change Compatibility mode to "Enabled"

6. Click save

Without doing the above my network would cut out every night requiring a reboot but that has solved it.

Also you would need to update the software on the new disks to match the latest. Click on System, then Firmware Update, then click Check and then upgrade (the button next to the check button) if it tells you that there is a newer version. 

You could also name the disks to what you prefer them to be called by clicking on Status, then My Devices then clicking the pencil against the disk name you want to change and either select one of the preset names or select custom and type your own. Then click on the tick button next to the name you changed - that will save it.

Once you are done you should reboot the whole system. Go to System then Restart then click restart. Wait for 3-4 minutes for everything to reboot. I've found that the reboot from the web interface does not reboot the master disk so after the 3-4 minute mark go and unplug it and plug it back in. Wait for 2-3 minutes for everything to come up again and re-sync.

Thats it. I've been running the 6 disk setup for a bit over a couple of weeks having done the above steps and its reliable - it works as it should. The only bug is the app which you can work around and the Overview screen on the web interface does not align the lines properly with more than 5 disks, but that is a UI glitch under a specific condition (6 disks and 2 of them daisychained to an intermediary disk if that makes sense).

Lyn17
Beginner
Message 4 of 20

Thanks so much for this. I will give it a go! I'm hoping to link skyq boxes to the discs via Ethernet to improve stability. Fingers crossed!!
0 Ratings
ioannis
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 20

Dont SkyQ boxes use powerline to communicate with each other? I would have thought that this would have been more reliable albeit a bit slower (depending on your home wiring)? Have you checked that your SkyQ router has powerline enabled as the sky boxes?

0 Ratings
Lyn17
Beginner
Message 6 of 20

I don't have a sky q router. I have a bt hh5.
I have an old big house. I've previously tried power lines but they weren't great.
From what I can gather it's wifi the q boxes use but that can be turned off if you connect via Ethernet.
My wifi is excellent throughout the house but 2 remote mini Boxes are weak so rather than have lots of Ethernet cabling between the boxes I thought to try this way first
0 Ratings
ioannis
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 20

Ah I see, yeah that makes sense and it should sort things out for you. However you might want to have the disks closer together (so they have a good connection with each other) and connect to them wirelessly with your sky boxes
0 Ratings
Lyn17
Beginner
Message 8 of 20

Thanks once again. One more question which you may or may not be able to help with.
Sky q mini boxes and main box use channel 36 to talk to one another and this cannot be altered apparently. Would setting the whole home network channel to 36 as you suggest cause issues with this?
0 Ratings
ioannis
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 20

No it wont. Actually in the 5ghz band with wifi AC you are using 80mhz channel width that effectively is 4 channels (36+40+44+48) as each channel is 20mhz wide. So no matter which channel you pick it will use the same range (36 to 48) its just that the primary channel is different. It would have been nice to have either support upper ranges 52-64 / 100-112 but the whole home wifi disks dont support them for what I can assume the lack of software/hardware capability to detect DFS signals as these channels are also used for weather radar etc.

From a networking standpoint its prefferable to use a different range (eg. sky would use the 36-48 range and Whole home wifi would use the 52-64) to avoid collisions but the second best is to actually use exactly the same range due to the way the networking gear detects interferance. What that means for you is that you will see a slight drop in absolute wifi performance while you are streaming from one box to another and downloading large files at the same time. Whether that will matter or not it depends on what you use your wifi for.

Your wifi gives you about 600mbps total real life throughput. Your Sky boxes will rob about 5-10mbps of that. Hence if you are using your wifi to access the internet you wont notice any difference in performance as you still have 590mbps of bandwith to play with and your connection will most likely not be quicker than 75mbps.

0 Ratings
Lyn17
Beginner
Message 10 of 20

Hmm I've plugged the 4th disc in as per your instructions. Blue light flashing and has been for about 30 mins. No solid blue light yet. It's right next to the 1st and plugged into the bt hh5 as is the first disc. 😩
0 Ratings