cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Whole home premium connection to the modem/router - does it have to be a particular port on the rout

Hoping for some advice on setting up and using the 3 disc (white) whole home premium mesh system please.

Context is that I can only get standard ADSL broadband, I use a TP link Archer VR2800 router/modem. It is actually in the loft where various routers/modem have performed well over 20 years.

however as the number of devices in the home increased and because of a weak signal at one end of the house I decided to get the BT whole home premium 3 disc mesh system.

I have four CAT 5 cable outlets around the house although just about every device uses the wifi. When first setting up I thought I could just plug the first disc into one of the CAT5 sockets to connect it to the router in the loft but it didn’t work. I moved the disc to the loft and usd a short CAT5 cable to connect it to port 1 and it connected straight away.

I then used the app to set up the other 2 discs around the house and it worked well for a few days.

since then there have been several drop outs when I lose the Internet connection throughout the house. Rebooting all 3 discs and the route bring it back but it only lasts a few days then goes down again, dispense and repeat.

So basically I am asking should the first disc work on any of the CAT5 outlets around the house (they all go back to the router after all) or does it have to be Port 1 on the router?

I have changed the TP link SSID to the same as the discs, is that ok or should I be swirling off the wifi in the router to just leave the 3 discs?

are drop outs a common occurrence with these devices or is this simply user error?

Any starting points will be helpful thank you. 

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Whole home premium connection to the modem/router - does it have to be a particular port on the

A LAN port is a LAN port, it doesn't matter which one you use unless you have a faulty port or cable.

I don't have the discs, but I believe it is usual to turn off wifi on the router as it won't form part of the mesh. If you do leave it on, I suggest using a different SSID would be preferable.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Re: Whole home premium connection to the modem/router - does it have to be a particular port on the

Based on your description, is it possible that the cable length between the first disc and the router is greater than 100 m ?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

No, the first CAT5 socket I put it in is about 10 mts away, it is now 1 mt away. 

thanks for replying. 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Thank you for that., I have turned the router wifi off, see what happens .

0 Ratings