cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 3

Whole home to Premium Whole home

So ive been using whole home 3 discs for ages now and its been brilliant and still is. However ive been playing wireless Vr on the second disc. 28ms Latency.

My setup is hardwired pc to router, disc 1 to router then wireless to disc 2, then wireless to disc 3.

Anyway it works great when the network is quiet and basically everyone is a sleep, however the network cant keep up and causes vr jitters mid game when the network is congested. Im looking at the Premium whole home and wondering if that will solve my little problem. 

If it was wifi 6 is suspect it would, however cant find much information on the setup premium uses of ax for back haul. Any help greatly recieved. Thanks!

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 2 of 3

Re: Whole home to Premium Whole home

If you’re talking Quest 2/Virtual desktop then 28ms total latency is really good.  It might be the contention with other users /devices that causes stuttering,  I’m not sure the premium disks will help as it’s not only the speed of the backhaul, but also the extra hop of the traffic going through what isn’t the main disk.  With the whole home disks you have the option of Ethernet backhaul and, of course, ethernet backhaul doesn’t work properly in the premium disks yet.  Can you run a cable to your secondary disk rather than using wireless backhaul to reduce the number of hops?

I’m looking at the Asus RT-AX86U (as recommended by Mike at Virtual Reality Oasis) as a router upgrade and using its Wi-Fi for VR, leaving the mesh BT system for general use.  There might be cheaper ways to get a dedicated VR WiFi but I think that’s what’s needed ala TP-Link TPCast.

Hope that helps.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 3

Re: Whole home to Premium Whole home

The latency is great, it works great when the network isnt congested. The whole home wifi is proving its not the hop thats the problem its the congestion.

Only me awake and its all good. everyone one up devices on the network cause mini stutters, latency doesnt seem to drop much. 

Anyway ive gone all in and gone for the asus ax mesh. I could have gone cheaper but this will do for many many years, now just to test it when it arrives. If it still cant do the job then ill send it back. One of the plus points is i can wire the pc to it and not my router, freeing up some latency from the 3 devices the network passes through bringing it to 2. It might even be strong enough to not need to connect to the second access point and just go straight to the first.

Thanks for your reply Kevin, I cant run a cable to the room otherwise id do the same as you and run a dedicated router for the job. 

The premium seems a bit rubbish from the accounts im reading so im glad i didnt go that route, youve helped confirm it.

0 Ratings