I've had a four disc wholehome for a few months now and can only conclude it is the biggest load of tech junk I have ever had the misfortune to own. It will run perfectly well for a few weeks and then start crashing on a daily then hourly basis. Generally the discs show a solid blue light so the only sign of a problem is the complete loss of wifi in the house. I've followed every bit of advice the helpdesk have given and am now waiting on a further response to see what else can be done. I've BT Fibre, a BT Hub, when it works a good fast connection but it is just so thoroughly unreliable. Has anyone got a refund on their system because I think my only option is to buy from another provider.
Thanks for the reply. Not sure I do but will take a look. What would be the point of doing this?
The issue is not the number of connections at one time, but the fact that the DHCP table fills up, as the lease times never expire.
Also, if you have any Apple devices, or recent Android devices, they have MAC randomisation (private addressing) enabled by default, which means that a new IP address is requested each time they connect. Its best to disable this feature on your own wireless SSID, and use the device MAC address instead.
You will see a large number of "Unknown Devices" showing, if that is the case. Look at the DHCP table if its present on the home hub, and see how many entries there are.
A normal restart does not clear these entries, only a factory reset.
Bear in mind that BT have sold quite a few of these wireless systems, and if there was a major issue, there would be thousands of complaints.
I do not use a BT Home Hub, and use a TP Link router, and a TP Link Deco wireless mesh.
The IP config fail is the exact symptom of this issue.
If you do not have any Apple devices, then it would be only recent Android and Windows devices that may have MAC randomisation enabled.
If you look at the wireless settings for your SSID, on the Android device, then look at the advanced wireless settings, there may be an option there. There is a similar option on Windows 10.
On my Samsung tablet, it has the option to use a random MAC address, or the tablet MAC address. The random one is set by default, so I had to change it to the tablet MAC, so I could always identify it on my Deco mesh.
Thanks again. Hub has been reset and wholesome is back and running. On checking the android phones were already set to use device Mac so guess will now need to wait and see if this is a long term fix or are there other devices that need to be changed - android TV, PlayStations, smart sockets? Appreciate your help.
As far as I am aware, most other devices do not use MAC randomisation. If you have other visitors to your house that have access to your Internet, then they may be using such devices.
The factory reset should fix the problem for quite a while. If you can look at the DHCP table on the home hub, then you should be able to see the list of devices, and their MAC and IP address.
If you only have 32 devices connected, then there should only be 32 entries showing.
A longer term solution may be to use a different router, provided you are not using a phone service, as that will eventually require you to use the Smart Hub 2 and BT Digital Voice.
As an example, my TP link router clears out the DHCP table on a soft reset or power cycle. It only retains those devices that have reserved IP addresses.
Another option which I used on an original Home Hub 1 (a long time ago), was to disable DHCP on the home hub, and use a separate DHCP server, until I used another router which behaved correctly.
I am fairly sure that the issue with your BT Whole Home system is being caused by the Home Hub, as, apart from a few Virgin Media customers who have posted on this forum and the VM forum, there have been very few reports of problems.