Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tsr2
Contributor
Message 81 of 399

Re: Wholehome firmware v1.02.05 build 01

@tsr2wrote:

It's past time to return these and buy something else.

I have a return label and a TP-Link Deco set on order to replace it.

I regret not doing this sooner.

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 82 of 399

@ICAltd - good grief you're running more tech devices than a small country.
ICAltd
Aspiring Contributor
Message 83 of 399

yeah, quite scary when I went through everything. The joys of 3 teenagers and an office with 3 extra people in most days. I'm actually sat on my own in the house at the moment and the app says 20 devices are attached to the various discs.  Although one of my printers is shown as connected twice to one of the discs.

explains the electric bill tho! 

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 84 of 399

@tsr2wrote:

@tsr2wrote:

It's past time to return these and buy something else.

I have a return label and a TP-Link Deco set on order to replace it.

I regret not doing this sooner.

I think before buying anything else you (and perhaps most users) would benefit from watching the Youtube video from one of the tech wizards at ArsTechnica talking about various systems and WiFi issues in general.

It appears that none of the consumer systems are actually 'Mesh networks'.  AmpliFi from Ubiquiti comes out as about the worst which is surprising as with their experience you would have thought they would be the best.

Anyway, enjoy the video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6tn_uLz3KM

0 Ratings
mikew88
Aspiring Expert
Message 85 of 399

@fozwrote:

@tsr2wrote:

@mikew88wrote:

Well, it sounds like either you (and possibly others) may have had faulty hardware all along (perhaps just a bad batch?), or probably more likely you have specific environment issues which will always conflict with BTWH.

It worked nicely from the end of October when I got it until the December update. After the December update it was one specific issue which didn't bother me. The network reliability issues only started with the February update.

As did mine, Build 10 is when i noticed the problems start. If the environment has not changed i fail to see how anyone can blame the environment if it was working fine previously (problems only started when the build 10 firmware was updated!)  

I live in the countryside in a 3 storey building no neighbours so no overlapping 2.4 or 5ghz channels, a £280 Draytek router (not free **bleep** supplied by isp) (with WLAN off) VDSL 80/20 line, house was rewired 7 years ago, Ethernet cat 5 to every room (no power line adapters) then Netgear pro switches to expand that room where required, 5 x BTWH discs to spread wifi throughout the property 4 with Ehternet Backhaul 1 x Wifi backhaul currently for testing. All devices that can be hardwired are, only leaving things like phones, tablets, laptops etc on WLAN.

My environment theory is based on the premise that if we all have the same BT hardware and firmware (in theory) and they are the constants in the equation, the only variable left to explain different results is our own environments... the reason may well be a fault in the firmware but my logical mind can’t grasp why we don’t all suffer if so.

0 Ratings
Palazzo13
Contributor
Message 86 of 399

I'm waiting a bit longer before moving from 1.02.04 build 10 to this one, as it's been fairly stable with all powerline ethernet backhaul (apart from when one powerline device failed, and, interestingly, the disc affected didn't automatically switch to wireless backhaul as I thought it would).

Anyone know if the random device renaming has been fixed in this new release? Not a biggie for me, but annoying.

0 Ratings
foz
Aspiring Expert
Message 87 of 399

@mikew88wrote:

@fozwrote:

@tsr2wrote:

@mikew88wrote:

Well, it sounds like either you (and possibly others) may have had faulty hardware all along (perhaps just a bad batch?), or probably more likely you have specific environment issues which will always conflict with BTWH.

It worked nicely from the end of October when I got it until the December update. After the December update it was one specific issue which didn't bother me. The network reliability issues only started with the February update.

As did mine, Build 10 is when i noticed the problems start. If the environment has not changed i fail to see how anyone can blame the environment if it was working fine previously (problems only started when the build 10 firmware was updated!)  

I live in the countryside in a 3 storey building no neighbours so no overlapping 2.4 or 5ghz channels, a £280 Draytek router (not free **bleep** supplied by isp) (with WLAN off) VDSL 80/20 line, house was rewired 7 years ago, Ethernet cat 5 to every room (no power line adapters) then Netgear pro switches to expand that room where required, 5 x BTWH discs to spread wifi throughout the property 4 with Ehternet Backhaul 1 x Wifi backhaul currently for testing. All devices that can be hardwired are, only leaving things like phones, tablets, laptops etc on WLAN.

My environment theory is based on the premise that if we all have the same BT hardware and firmware (in theory) and they are the constants in the equation, the only variable left to explain different results is our own environments... the reason may well be a fault in the firmware but my logical mind can’t grasp why we don’t all suffer if so.

Don't get me wrong, Sean (BT) said it's the environment and i except that it is in fact the different environment factors, but it's the way the BTWH firmware interacts with the different enviroment/devices/etc etc obviously as prior to build 10 it worked well and my environment has not changed. (please understand the only thing that changed was updating to build 10 in Feb now Junes 1.02.05 build 01)

0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 88 of 399

@foz

I think this update was to simply get most people back online and working units. They seem to accept that it won't correct all issues, and working on a new build to come at some point. 

Whilst @SeanD mentioned enviromental factors that doesnt mean he was saying the update was perfect. The issue for the product teams I would imagine is still trying collate enough data to work out why it only hit certain units and how well this update did at correcting the issue some users had.

I would imagine also that the product teams will be watching this thread to see the user reaction so keep posting how your system is performing  after the update and ideally without making any system changes just yet.

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 89 of 399

@foz  I'm assuming though that BT in their infinite wisdom didn't suddenly have a 'lightbulb moment' and shout 'I know what we'll do today, we will have a firmware update'.

There must have been cogent reasons for the firmware update, though what these were I couldn't really say.  The YouTube link I provided is a fascinating watch IMHO.  I didn't realise that a person in a room creates a barrier to WiFi the equivalent of a wall.  We are mostly water and WiFi doesn't like this. 

Even a cat walking across the room or sitting near a disk can affect it.  Same applies to moving furniture, whilst some old walls have chicken wire in them creating a kind of Faraday cage. 

0 Ratings
foz
Aspiring Expert
Message 90 of 399

@Jim-ladwrote:

@foz  I'm assuming though that BT in their infinite wisdom didn't suddenly have a 'lightbulb moment' and shout 'I know what we'll do today, we will have a firmware update'.

There must have been cogent reasons for the firmware update, though what these were I couldn't really say.  The YouTube link I provided is a fascinating watch IMHO.  I didn't realise that a person in a room creates a barrier to WiFi the equivalent of a wall.  We are mostly water and WiFi doesn't like this. 

Even a cat walking across the room or sitting near a disk can affect it.  Same applies to moving furniture, whilst some old walls have chicken wire in them creating a kind of Faraday cage. 

Yep but still doesn't explain why they worked previously before build 10. i am not disagreeing with what anyone says but for me it keeps coming back to the fact it worked on previous firmware witout issues and when BT supplied replacments customers were told not to update. 

i am awaiting the driver update in next firmware, but i really can't understand for the life of me to keep everyone happy allow customer to select firmware that works for them, it's the most blatant and obvious thing to do. i am shocked beyond words as to why BT have not included this in to their firmware. That would have kept everyone happy while they play about getting it right.

Odds are BT would have less returns and customers ranting about waiting around for firmware fixes, If you could roll back i am sure you would have upgraded yourself to test the new firmware if you could go back without worring.