cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ishamm
Aspiring Contributor
Message 161 of 399

Re: Wholehome firmware v1.02.05 build 01

""Can i do this by pluging one powerline into my homehub5 and the other into the poor-signal wholehome" Yes"

Thanks! So better into the homehub than the main wholehome hub?
0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 162 of 399

@ishammwrote:
""Can i do this by pluging one powerline into my homehub5 and the other into the poor-signal wholehome" Yes"

Thanks! So better into the homehub than the main wholehome hub?

As other posters have said, set up a network using your TP-Link adapters, one Ethernet lead goes into the HH.  Plug the other adapter into a wall socket where you have the disk you want to improve using backhaul e.g. lounge.  Now plug one end of an Ethernet cable into the disk and the other end into the TP-Link adapter.  Hey presto, you now have your other disk using backhaul and this should improve performance for you WiFi devices.

Highlighted
nigma
Contributor
Message 163 of 399

The best performance you will get is by having all the discs connected to the HomeHub through ethernet. Powerline will work, but the throughput will be reduced substantially compared to either ethernet of wireless backhaul (assuming your discs are in reasonable range of each other - if not, then powerline will give you better performance). In anycase, given the comments in this thread the stability of wireless backhaul has not been great so ethernet/powerline will give you more reliability.

0 Ratings
ishamm
Aspiring Contributor
Message 164 of 399

Presumably a top-end powerline will be faster than a "poor" wireless backhaul? Ethernet cables running round the house is sadly not an option
0 Ratings
nigma
Contributor
Message 165 of 399

Yes, if you go for the AV2000 kits (recomend TP-Link) then you should get reasomable performance.

However, if you are going down this avenue the BT WholeHome system isn't really giving you anything. You may be better off simply buying a powerline WiFi range extender (https://www.tp-link.com/uk/products/details/cat-18_TL-WPA9610-KIT.html) along with your existing HomeHub.

0 Ratings
ishamm
Aspiring Contributor
Message 166 of 399

"Yes, if you go for the AV2000 kits (recomend TP-Link) then you should get reasomable performance.

However, if you are going down this avenue the BT WholeHome system isn't really giving you anything. You may be better off simply buying a powerline WiFi range extender (https://www.tp-link.com/uk/products/details/cat-18_TL-WPA9610-KIT.html) along with your existing HomeHub."

Yep, gone for AV2000, the whole home kit (using 6) is working great for the rest of the house, just one is getting a poor signal and has one daisy chained to it so hoping powerline will speed up those two.
0 Ratings
dgilbert2
Expert
Message 167 of 399

@Mark-I  as requested I have sent the log files.

It has been another bad day though, my 3rd disc again turned pink in the app and needed a power reset to bring it back to life.

I am starting to get lost by all this now, I honestly feel this firmware is worse for me as I'm having to do some kind of reset every day.

I have tonight tried a full factory reset on all discs and setup everything fresh to see if that helps.

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 168 of 399

@nigmawrote:

The best performance you will get is by having all the discs connected to the HomeHub through ethernet. Powerline will work, but the throughput will be reduced substantially compared to either ethernet of wireless backhaul (assuming your discs are in reasonable range of each other - if not, then powerline will give you better performance). In anycase, given the comments in this thread the stability of wireless backhaul has not been great so ethernet/powerline will give you more reliability.

Actually there are a lot of variables.  If his house wiring is good and he's not using the powerline adapters for anything other than backhaul for his disks then he should get pretty solid performance.

I use TP-Link adapters for backhaul, the performance is blazing fast and the stability rock solid.

BTW my adapters are nowhere near the AV2000 you mention, just a bog standard 600mbps.

0 Ratings
absolute40
Aspiring Contributor
Message 169 of 399

I haven't upgraded to this version of the firmware yet. I turned off auto-updating after I heard all the news about instability. I have a 3 disk set-up with two of the three on ethernet backhaul and haven't suffered the issues others have had.

Is this new version stable and faster? I am wary of upgrading as I don't want to make them worse or unusable.

This thread has gone quiet the last few days, just wondered if this was good news...?

0 Ratings
Joe1971
Contributor
Message 170 of 399

I updated as soon as possible and immediately added my fourth problematic disc. Touchwood, I’ve had no problems since. I’ve even introduced my 5 disc in to the mesh and have had no issues since. I know a few here still have had issues however I can have no complaints with this new firmware.
0 Ratings