cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chris101
Aspiring Contributor
Message 181 of 399

Re: Wholehome firmware v1.02.05 build 01

Just reporting in that after 9 days on new build 01 my 6 disc set up continues to work pretty much seamlessly - just like before build 10 firmware.

• Configuration is primary disc into HH5 ethernet, one other disc via 1gb powerline connection and rest wi fi only (all usually 5 ghz). 
  • Unlike build 10 the primary disc into HH5 stays primary disc
  • Speeds fine ( that is like before build 10) , even with multiple users at peak times across YouView, Apple TV, Netflix, BBC iPlayer on multiple IOS devices. There are also web security cameras connected to wi fi, working faster than before, when loading to view.
  • Environment is solid old victorian terraced house that stretches back (ie long and thin).
  • Broadband is typically 6-8 mb/s download at peak times whilst best at 12 mb/s, never more than 1 mb/s upload
  • Aside from new firmware, two changes to share on how WH now set up in case of use to others:-
    • Just the Legacy Steering switched off - something I was advised to do during minor issues on the trial for the new build.
    • Removed discs from using powerline adaptors for ethernet except for one most remote on its own dedicated cct from consumer unit- something asked to try by BT technical support again on trial as logs seems to show a possibility that instability on the powerline network was causing the discs to constantly trigger their backhaul algorithm and start switching back to Wi-Fi, then Ethernet again.
    • Note some other devices still use 1 gb powerline adaptors  (smart home radiator thermostats and Philips Hue lighting ) to get back to HH5 for internet access via their respective bridge devices. They aren't so sensitive I would guess given they have less to do.

Recognising this is just my personal experience, as all our environments can be different and variables can be many, is that the latest firmware has meant a return to our overall positive user experience of BT WH before build 10 came along. In making some adjustments to help boost that experience (ie Legacy Steering turned off & reducing use of powerline adaptors where there may be some electrical interference in home ccts affecting disc software) has stablised it...for my environment at least. 

Good luck to those considering trying the move to build 1 and who are suffering still with build 10.

nigma
Contributor
Message 182 of 399

"Am also wiring all 3 (they're PoE powered) rather than running 2 as wireless islands, so I don't compromise available wi-fi-bandwidth for end-use devices."

Wired will always be better, but as fair as I knew they used a dedicated 5GHz wireless backhaul, so shouldn't effect wireless bandwidth assuming the disc is in good enough range of each other.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 183 of 399

@simoncs120wrote:

Was just having too many connection reliability issues with my disks, so have returned them and replaced them with Ubiquiti UniFi AP AC PRO disks. More expensive, but vastly better, with rock solid performance. Am also wiring all 3 (they're PoE powered) rather than running 2 as wireless islands, so I don't compromise available wi-fi-bandwidth for end-use devices.

If you had looked at the YouTube link I provided in the previous firmware thread you would have seen the Ubiquiti came bottom of all the systems tested by a well respected Tech Guru from Ars.  The Guru and the host expressed particular disappointment with Ubiquiti for the consumer given the respect they have in Enterprise. 

Oh well!

0 Ratings
foz
Aspiring Expert
Message 184 of 399

@agaskewwrote:

As one of the lucky ones , I'm on v1.02.03 build 03.  3 disc set up with one wired to the router and two wireless.  I have never had any major issues, and the discs only got restarted a couple of weeks ago because the electricity went off.

So, would you upgrade if you were me?

NO its that simple, i should wait until the next firmware when they are updating the driver and then i would wait for a month after relaese to see customer reports.

Jim-lad
Expert
Message 185 of 399

@Chris101  very interesting post Chris, especially regarding using powerline adapters for backhaul from the slave disks.  Hmm! not had any issues with that myself though it doesn't of course mean it's not causing an issue with some other users.  I actually mentioned a few weeks back that if your home wiring isn't up to the knocker then this could possibly cause an issue, looks like I may have been on to something.

For me Build 10 worked just fine and this new build too works fine so no complaints.  I recommended WH to a couple of friends, they too have not had any issues with either build.

0 Ratings
nigma
Contributor
Message 186 of 399

How did you determin the backhaul was 5GHz ? Can't seem to see it in the settings anywhere.

Thanks

0 Ratings
Joe1971
Contributor
Message 187 of 399

@nigma, you can see it through the web interface rather than the app.
0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 188 of 399

I have looked closely at the logs following @Chris101 posts regarding backhaul and the use of powerline adapters.

This entry is from my slave disk using Ethernet for backhaul via a powerline adapter.  Not sure of the implications but the logs do show some errors e.g.

29.06.2018 01:36:47 Time Server connected but Server responded with Error(14).
29.06.2018 01:33:27 Time Server connected but Server responded with Error(14).
29.06.2018 01:30:07 Time Server connected but Server responded with Error(14).
29.06.2018 01:26:47 Time Server connected but Server responded with Error(14).
29.06.2018 01:23:27 Time Server connected but Server responded with Error(14).

I would say looking at those log entries that the disk in the lounge may be dropping out at times, though it's not affected my devices from connecting in any way as they appear to have simply connected to the primary disk wired to the router.

0 Ratings
agaskew
Aspiring Contributor
Message 189 of 399

@Jim-ladwrote:

I have looked closely at the logs following @Chris101 posts regarding backhaul and the use of powerline adapters.

This entry is from my slave disk using Ethernet for backhaul via a powerline adapter.  Not sure of the implications but the logs do show some errors e.g.

29.06.2018 01:36:47 Time Server connected but Server responded with Error(14).
29.06.2018 01:33:27 Time Server connected but Server responded with Error(14).
29.06.2018 01:30:07 Time Server connected but Server responded with Error(14).
29.06.2018 01:26:47 Time Server connected but Server responded with Error(14).
29.06.2018 01:23:27 Time Server connected but Server responded with Error(14).

I would say looking at those log entries that the disk in the lounge may be dropping out at times, though it's not affected my devices from connecting in any way as they appear to have simply connected to the primary disk wired to the router.

Pretty unhelpful messages, but the fact that they are all spaced 100 seconds apart implies this is a background polling check or synch process that's hitting an error at the server side.  All these things rely on maintaining clocks in synch (Time Server in your messages) but its unclear how the disc infrastructure does this.  I'd expect the Primary disk to get its time either from the router, or better still directly from a time server via NTP, and then the secondary disks poll the Primary regularly to maintain time in synch.  All theory though I'm afraid... 😞 

0 Ratings
DavR0s
Aspiring Contributor
Message 190 of 399

So  been running for just over a week now on thew new firmware.  Its definitely better but not issue free.

+ve   better speeds and range, no dropouts during the day

-ve  ive woken up 3 days now and had no wifi - the only thing that resolved it was a power cycle of the main disc

I know the BT folk occasionally look at these posts so if you want more information please let me know (I have found the phone line somewhat unhelpful in the past as they wouldnt even acknowledge there was an issue so we danced around the subject for a while getting nowhere)

0 Ratings