cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tsr2
Contributor
Message 201 of 399

Deco M5 first week

It's a week now since my Deco M5 kit arrived to replace my Whole Home Wifi, so this seems like a good point to report back.

The key issue I had with the Whole Home was reliability and the comparison to the Deco is night and day. The Whole Home required a disc reset most days, although, if I was lucky I might get 2 clear days without a fault but that was balanced out by days when I had to reset discs several times. With the Deco it has, apart from a firmware update, required no resets.

Another reliability issue was my work VPN "stalling" several times a day and often losing its connection completely several times a day. I wasn't sure whether it was an issue at my end or at my work, or a little of both. As those issues have disappeared I conclude that they were caused by the Whole Home Wifi.

I have had my work laptop lose its wifi connection a couple of times, but as that didn't happen to any other devices and was resolved by resetting the networking on the laptop, it appears to be an issue specific to that laptop.

Since the change I have not had to field several questions a day from my wife and kids about why the internet isn't working.

In terns of speed, I haven't done a proper speed test. I have not had buffering issues with multiple iplayer and youtube streams.

Someone mentioned ping speeds for gaming, but that is not a concern for me, so I can not comment.

The Deco app is horrible and nowhere near as informative as the Whole Home App, but my wifi is reliable and so I don't need to spend time fiddling with the app.

The Deco might not suit everyone, but so far, for me it is a huge improvement.

0 Ratings
simoncs120
Beginner
Message 202 of 399

Re: Deco M5 first week

You would think with the resources and expertise at BT's disposal (and I know several people there who are 1st class engineers), they would have a best-in-market product.
0 Ratings
foz
Aspiring Expert
Message 203 of 399

Re: Wholehome firmware v1.02.05 build 01

@orientboy2000wrote:

Guys can someone detail how you turn AP stearing off

and what should AP steering do and whats the downside of switching it off

Thanks

Login on browser to your disc"s
E.g. http://192.168.0.100 or http://mybtdevice.home
Enter user and password
Then remove the /index.htm and replace with /steering.htm
So it will look like this as example
http://192.168.0.100/steering.htm 

0 Ratings
jimbg
Contributor
Message 204 of 399

If you do that then surely you have lost one of the key benefits of the system?

0 Ratings
foz
Aspiring Expert
Message 205 of 399

It would then rely on client/device steering rather than disc/ap steering i assume. That's why I asked the question to Steve a page or 2 back. Try/test it takes seconds to turn on/off
0 Ratings
JohnfromUK
Contributor
Message 206 of 399

In my case, turning the steering off 'lost' all of the dropouts.  Everything else continued to work just fine and has been a very good system since.  Lost no benefits and gained the stability it always should have had.

0 Ratings
jimbg
Contributor
Message 207 of 399

I presume client steering is where the device decides to change AP rather the AP switching you to a different one?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Steve59
Aspiring Expert
Message 208 of 399

Most products are more than capable of steering themselves, my system with my products (the ones that move around are all Apple) is fine most of the time
0 Ratings
Chris101
Aspiring Contributor
Message 209 of 399

Having read your post @Jim-lad, I went back to the disc logs I sent to BT Technical support at the time.

So then ( before turning off Legacy Steering and reducing use of ethernet via powerline adaptors) I was having quite a few issues but NTP Time Server wasn't one of them, only a few enteries saying successful.

Might not be of use to you or you have tried already....but I have encountered issues previously with Apple TV on first time set up needing permission on HH5 firewall setting for NTP Time Server allowed ( it is one available on the games & apps list to select). Maybe worth a check on your router as I remember now that I had to redo this after factory reset of the HH5 during one of my attempts to see if it helped improve matters on build 10 (which it didn't) after reset of HH5 had wiped that previous permission.

Looking back at the disc log before I followed BT technical suggestion to remove ethernet where I could, shows loads of  entries saying 'device-uplink path change 2.4 or 5G to ethernet messages' and topology queries and debugs lines that aren't there now, having done quick look just now on todays system log. 

So the home electrical cct interference was strong enough to cause confusion on disc algorithm and lead it to try switching to and fro. It wasn't the only issue but looks to have been a significant one in environmental terms.

For those unfamiliar where to go to look for system logs, once logged into WH Web page (not the app on phone) via http://mybtdevice.home  using admin password from plastic tab from back of your primary disc then look for System at top next to Status & Settings, click on System and  you find system log under restart option..give it a few moments to load and then export all to your computer and read at leisure).  Don't panic at loads of line entries...the WH discs are busy doing what they are designed to do, even if sometimes it is recording problems.

0 Ratings
Chris101
Aspiring Contributor
Message 210 of 399

Good question @jimbg

When I had my issues with the old build I was hesitant for same reason...on that Steering.htm page there are from memory 4 options to select from:

• AP
  • Band
  • Legacy
  • All Steering

If you are like me and have some older legacy devices with IEEE 802.11 standard wifi and just 2.4 GHz capable then I am guessing they aren't so clever as my more modern devices which do better with 5 GHz and away from the clutter of 2.4 GHz!

I believe the WH discs tries to find those 5 GHz devices the best disc to give most speed - thats what I wanted when I bought themn and most of the time my 5GHz enabled devices get the better speeds and not always from closest disc because WH is looking at competing demand from all devices ( at least when I look on the Status of devices connected to discs). So I left AP & Band Steering alone (ie on) and just turned off, as suggested by BT technical, the Legacy button. Works for my environment.

Maybe now more of us are familiar with the Steering.htm page we can experiment with the options, depending on kinds of devices we have and coverage needed, and share results.

Good luck

0 Ratings