cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 211 of 399

Re: Wholehome firmware v1.02.05 build 01

@Chris101 -  I have been doing some tests following your post about poweline adapters so have been trawling the logs.  I have noted the slave disc connected via powerline for backhaul has suffered a disconnection/re-connection I wasn't aware of and there are quite a few instances of the WiFi uplink being activated then reverting back to Ethernet uplink some time later.

It does look as though BT may have been right about the powerline adapters causing issues.  I note that on a couple of occasions when the 'moving to WiFi uplink' was logged I using some electrical hedge trimmers in the garden and again when the wife was hovering.

Having disconnected the disk from Ethernet backhaul the logs haven't shown any further issues. 

RobbieMac
Message 212 of 399

Re: Wholehome firmware v1.02.05 build 01

Hi @dazla

Sorry for the problems you're having.

It would be helpful if you could email your logs to the product helpdesk  btconnectedhome@bt.com

Cheers,

Robbie

0 Ratings
mikew88
Aspiring Expert
Message 213 of 399

Re: Deco M5 first week

@tsr2wrote:

It's a week now since my Deco M5 kit arrived to replace my Whole Home Wifi, so this seems like a good point to report back.

The key issue I had with the Whole Home was reliability and the comparison to the Deco is night and day. The Whole Home required a disc reset most days, although, if I was lucky I might get 2 clear days without a fault but that was balanced out by days when I had to reset discs several times. With the Deco it has, apart from a firmware update, required no resets.

Another reliability issue was my work VPN "stalling" several times a day and often losing its connection completely several times a day. I wasn't sure whether it was an issue at my end or at my work, or a little of both. As those issues have disappeared I conclude that they were caused by the Whole Home Wifi.

I have had my work laptop lose its wifi connection a couple of times, but as that didn't happen to any other devices and was resolved by resetting the networking on the laptop, it appears to be an issue specific to that laptop.

Since the change I have not had to field several questions a day from my wife and kids about why the internet isn't working.

In terns of speed, I haven't done a proper speed test. I have not had buffering issues with multiple iplayer and youtube streams.

Someone mentioned ping speeds for gaming, but that is not a concern for me, so I can not comment.

The Deco app is horrible and nowhere near as informative as the Whole Home App, but my wifi is reliable and so I don't need to spend time fiddling with the app.

The Deco might not suit everyone, but so far, for me it is a huge improvement.

Glad you’re sorted and having a happy home life...trust you’ll enjoy your time on the TPLink forum...

0 Ratings
mikew88
Aspiring Expert
Message 214 of 399

@simoncs120wrote:
You would think with the resources and expertise at BT's disposal (and I know several people there who are 1st class engineers), they would have a best-in-market product.

How do you know they don’t?

0 Ratings
foz
Aspiring Expert
Message 215 of 399

Your replies would suggest you work for BT
0 Ratings
simoncs120
Aspiring Contributor
Message 216 of 399

Because I've had to return my WholeHome discs, as they were too unreliable, and have a set of Ubiquiti UniFi AC AC PRO disks that are rock solid.
0 Ratings
mikew88
Aspiring Expert
Message 217 of 399

@fozwrote:
Your replies would suggest you work for BT

Only to someone of a paranoid nature...

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 218 of 399

@simoncs120wrote:
Because I've had to return my WholeHome discs, as they were too unreliable, and have a set of Ubiquiti UniFi AC AC PRO disks that are rock solid.

Yet BT WholeHome receives consistently great reviews both online and in PC Mags, yet the Ubiquiti (as the link I provided shows) gets a Meh!

My disks do what they state on the tin for a much lower cost than you have paid for a so-so product.  If they are so good why are you still frequenting this forum?

0 Ratings
simoncs120
Aspiring Contributor
Message 219 of 399

Sharing my experience, which doesn't seem to be unique. I always hope non-insulting, constructive criticism helps manufacturers improve their products, so others don't experience the problems I (& others) have had.
0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 220 of 399

@simoncs120wrote:
Sharing my experience, which doesn't seem to be unique. I always hope non-insulting, constructive criticism helps manufacturers improve their products, so others don't experience the problems I (& others) have had.

Yet just like your Ubiquiti I and lots of others have found the WH (to use your own words) 'rock solid'.

0 Ratings