Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mikew88
Aspiring Expert
Message 221 of 399

Re: Deco M5 first week

@simoncs120wrote:
Sharing my experience, which doesn't seem to be unique. I always hope non-insulting, constructive criticism helps manufacturers improve their products, so others don't experience the problems I (& others) have had.

Perhaps we need to go on the Ubiquiti and Deco forum and tell them how good we find the BT WH....but I don’t use their products so why bother, plus I’m sure they wouldn’t really be interested.

0 Ratings
foz
Aspiring Expert
Message 222 of 399

@Jim-ladwrote:

@simoncs120wrote:
Sharing my experience, which doesn't seem to be unique. I always hope non-insulting, constructive criticism helps manufacturers improve their products, so others don't experience the problems I (& others) have had.

Yet just like your Ubiquiti I and lots of others have found the WH (to use your own words) 'rock solid'.

Even though yours and lots of others works solid as a rock as you put it, BT are aware of a problem in there firmware, and will be updating the driver in the next release. Seems just latly anyone saying anything untoward against BT whole home gets jumped on by 3 very popular posters in this and previous thread on this forum... starting to see a patten here.! 

simoncs120
Beginner
Message 223 of 399

Seems to be luck of the draw, some do and some don't. Mine seemed to be fine until a firmware update, and as I work from home some of the time, with frequent Internet based conf calls, I had to act to remidy the situation, so as waiting for a further & corrective firmware update from BT was an undefined quantity, I took the advice of our IT guy, whom I trust, and replaced the WH disks with the Ubiquiti ones we use in the office.

I'm not claiming they are the best or cheapest, or that the WH disks don't work for everyone, just that they didn't work with a number of my home devices, including an Internet radio, a printer and were unreliable with others so I had to change them.

As I said, just relaying my experience.
0 Ratings
simoncs120
Beginner
Message 224 of 399

It does seen that way, as I detected an antagonistic undertone. Wholly unnecessary, as I have many friends who work for BT and are very competent at what they do. They do have a difficult job making a product that's going to work flawlessly on all environments, so it's only to be expected that some will find they don't work as they need them to. I happened to be one of the unlucky ones. I'm sure in time they'll improve them sufficiently to satisfy most people, but remember, they are a consumer and not a professional product. I just needed something professional.
0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 225 of 399

@fozwrote:

@Jim-ladwrote:

@simoncs120wrote:

Yet just like your Ubiquiti I and lots of others have found the WH (to use your own words) 'rock solid'.

Even though yours and lots of others works solid as a rock as you put it, BT are aware of a problem in there firmware, and will be updating the driver in the next release. Seems just latly anyone saying anything untoward against BT whole home gets jumped on by 3 very popular posters in this and previous thread on this forum... starting to see a patten here.! 

Define the word 'popular'.  We are all well aware there are problems with the firmware/wireless driver for 'some users'.  How many that is we don't really know, could be no more than a couple of dozen or it could be thousands.  

What's the point of a poster coming on a BT forum to inform us a competitor product works great?  Totally pointless in my book, plus having looked at the Deco forum it appears they too aren't without their issues.  A recent firmware update hasn't gone smoothly for everyone.

You will always find people on any forum who will 'slag off' a product.  I was looking at a new survey about the 10 most unreliable cars in 2017.  We own one of the vehicles and it's as reliable as an atomic clock and yet for others it hasn't been.   However, when you drill down and look at the data it appears that for one vehicle nearly all the complaints surrounded a bug in the satnav.  Just because of that one bug it made the whole car look unreliable if you went off where it came out in the survey.  The bug was sorted out pretty quickly but the damage was done.

That's why for the most part I now take surveys and many complaints with a large pinch of salt.

mikew88
Aspiring Expert
Message 226 of 399

@fozwrote:

@Jim-ladwrote:

@simoncs120wrote:

Like I said...paranoid. Do you also see the pattern of the same posters constantly returning to criticise BT WH and mentioning the wonderful, new competitor systems they’ve got? Maybe they could set up a new thread called “alternatives to BT WH”, where people who really want to hear about Ubiquiti or Deco or whatever can go for advice. This thread should solely focus on the Wholehome product and the latest firmware, so current users can discuss how to maximise the performance of their WH systems....just my opinion though. 

foz
Aspiring Expert
Message 227 of 399

Yea right paranoid... I am a moderator on a very very popular forum and I have been for 5+ years seen it all and heard it all before. Something starting to smell very off to me. People should be allowed to express there opinion about a product, offer there experience and offer help and support to others within the forum rules yes that should include other alternatives. Someone saying buy this from this link would not be acceptable but due to bt wh issues i dont see a problem people sharing there experance with other systems (due to current problems) is surely acceptable. Seems to me 3 of you will not and can not stand by and let anyone say anything bad about BT Whole Home discs even after many many people posting about issues Make me wonder and other users i am sure ...!
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Deryman
Contributor
Message 228 of 399

I have been a vocal critic of the way BT have handled the WH firmware issues - I still think it has been very poor.  However, the latest upgrade has appearede to make it more stable which is good news.  I certainly feel that it is valid to discsuss alternative products on a forum but let's not have threads polluted with off-topic posts please.

jimbg
Contributor
Message 229 of 399

Wholehome firmware v1.02.05 build 01

Just to get the title back on track, as I was not allowed an England reference!!

Rather fed up with Deco M5 emails

0 Ratings
mikew88
Aspiring Expert
Message 230 of 399

@fozwrote:
Yea right paranoid... I am a moderator on a very very popular forum and I have been for 5+ years seen it all and heard it all before. Something starting to smell very off to me. People should be allowed to express there opinion about a product, offer there experience and offer help and support to others within the forum rules yes that should include other alternatives. Someone saying buy this from this link would not be acceptable but due to bt wh issues i dont see a problem people sharing there experance with other systems (due to current problems) is surely acceptable. Seems to me 3 of you will not and can not stand by and let anyone say anything bad about BT Whole Home discs even after many many people posting about issues Make me wonder and other users i am sure ...!

I don't understand why people who have moved on from WH continue to haunt the forum with constant updates on how great their new system is doing? Seems to me, if you want a consipracy theory, you 'd be better looking there. If I wanted a discussion on alternative mesh systems, I'd look for a thread specifically for that. This thread should be for current users, happy or disgruntled, to share their experience and ideas on the new firmware....imo it's not the place for disgruntled ex-users to keep beefing about WH and promoting alternate systems. And to my knowledge, no-one has ever said people should not post about their bad experiences with the BT product...I don't know who you mean as the BT3, but assuming you mean myself and Jim, then I think we've always been positive about the system yes, but also offered advice and suggestions on tweaks. Frankly, your insinuation regarding a bad smell and encouragement to others to believe your "theory" is pretty insulting.