cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AndrewH13
Aspiring Contributor
Message 241 of 399

Re: Wholehome firmware v1.02.05 build 01

2 weeks now, only a two-disk setup, but continues without any problems.
0 Ratings
agaskew
Aspiring Contributor
Message 242 of 399

@AndrewH13wrote:
2 weeks now, only a two-disk setup, but continues without any problems.
Good to know thanks!
0 Ratings
absolute40
Aspiring Contributor
Message 243 of 399

I'm glad this thread has got back on track. I have no allegiance with BT. I have Sky broadband and phone. I just bought BT Whole Home because Sky's router has shocking WiFi coverage and it was a good deal at the time. I prefer the aesthetics of the Google WiFi system, but wasn't prepared to pay for it. It would also be nice to be able to wall mount BTWH without the legs...

Anyway, I am seriously considering updating the firmware from v1.02.04 build10 to v1.02.05 build 01 after mostly good reports on here, but I'll power down one of the discs first for a few days just to give me the chance to roll back if need be.

0 Ratings
simoncs120
Beginner
Message 244 of 399

I'm mounting 1 disk in my downstairs study, above a shelf above the entry door where I have all my comms kit & network disks; the 2nd just inside a cupboard adjoing a new extension; and the 3rd upstairs inside an airing cupboard off the landing; so all effectively hidden away, something that the fixed feet on the WH units make difficult. The AC AP PRO units are also PoE powered, so there's no mains adapater to have to plug in somewhere, making concealment in these places vastly easier. They also have a secondary PoE connection for daisy chaining, that the WH units don't have. That's the difference between a consumer and corporate/professional system. In my case, and I'm only saying it's just my own choice, these are features I find useful. I gave the WH disks an opportunity, but for me they didn't work out. I'm sure they're fine for many folk, and that's perfectly ok.

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 245 of 399

@simoncs120wrote:

I'm mounting 1 disk in my downstairs study, above a shelf above the entry door where I have all my comms kit & network disks; the 2nd just inside a cupboard adjoing a new extension; and the 3rd upstairs inside an airing cupboard off the landing; so all effectively hidden away, something that the fixed feet on the WH units make difficult. The AC AP PRO units are also PoE powered, so there's no mains adapater to have to plug in somewhere, making concealment in these places vastly easier. They also have a secondary PoE connection for daisy chaining, that the WH units don't have. That's the difference between a consumer and corporate/professional system. In my case, and I'm only saying it's just my own choice, these are features I find useful. I gave the WH disks an opportunity, but for me they didn't work out. I'm sure they're fine for many folk, and that's perfectly ok.

I would have thought that for the average sized house just one of these units would have sufficed?

0 Ratings
simoncs120
Beginner
Message 246 of 399

As mentioned, a 'new extension' at the back (my study is at the front), so need extra coverage to combat walls, etc., including into the garden (my wife has a swing seat at the bottom, and sometimes sits out there with her iPad). The upstairs one's secondary (RJ45) connection also provides an onward wired connection for my home-Uni son's enginering/gaming workstation PC. We all have our own unique reasons...

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 247 of 399

From looking at all the logs for the last few days I would say that wireless backhaul is definitley working better then using Ethernet for back haul via my homeplugs.

Back haul using this method worked pretty well on build 10 so that's something that's changed.  Personally I'm not bothered though as if the disk can work without faults wirelessly and provide good speeds at the same time (it is doing) then that's fine for me.

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 248 of 399

@RS4wrote:
@Jim-ladRather than taking you up on the relevance of how I choose to spend my money and the fact that has nothing to do with you, it would do nothing to help other readers of this forum...

On paper BTWH did everything I needed, why spend more money needlessly! And let’s not forget that at launch BTWH was priced at the top end of the home market, presenting itself as a premium product.

The nail in the coffin for BTWH was not the hardware or spec but the way the product was being managed by BT, no ability to downgrade firmware despite asking for that feature from the beginning and the poor handling of the build 10 firmware problems with no expectation of a fix even after more than 10 weeks!

Once I decided to return BTWH I again reviewed the available product specs and decided that none offered what I wanted and thus started looking at higher grade kit.

Well, an argument doesn't improve for keep repeating it, you have my point.

Highlighted
simonjedrake
Aspiring Contributor
Message 249 of 399

I upgraded my 5 disc setup to this latest firmware 5 days ago and am pleased to report zero problems/dropouts/etc since then - so fingers crossed the “bugs” are all fixed.

0 Ratings
absolute40
Aspiring Contributor
Message 250 of 399

Silly question. I've upgraded to the latest firmware on two discs. The third is unplugged. In a week if I'm happy that the new firmware is good do I turn the third disc on and leave auto-update on? Or do I have to force the third disc to update? Thanks
0 Ratings