Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
MadPanther
Aspiring Expert
Message 321 of 399

Re: Wholehome firmware v1.02.05 build 01

Since the upgrdae my daughters laptop connects to the wireless, but gets no internet access.
Any ideas ?

0 Ratings
Steve59
Aspiring Expert
Message 322 of 399

@MadPanther

Steering I would suspect if I were a betting man.

0 Ratings
MadPanther
Aspiring Expert
Message 323 of 399

Steering has been disabled. Do they need a reboot following that ?
Thanks

0 Ratings
dgilbert2
Expert
Message 324 of 399

Yes, that would be good step. (Did you do that before and the laptop would still not connect?)

0 Ratings
Palazzo13
Contributor
Message 325 of 399

Just lost my one wireless disc from the network after 47 days (the two wired ones stayed connected, but the primary also swapped somehow during this failure).

I'd turned off legacy steeringabout 3 days ago, then turned it on again, and then off again earlier today, so that may have contributed to the instability.

Overall, it's been pretty stable since the the last last full network restart, so I'd still say it's a lot better than the previous 1.02.04 firmware, but not without the odd problem.

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 326 of 399

I lost our disc connections after 52 days at the weekend, red lights all round.  It wasn't until I looked down at our router that I noticed that too had gone down.  It appears it was one of BTs HomeHub router resets and nothing to do with the discs.

Why BT periodically auto reboot the HomeHubs has never been fully explained.  Good to know it wasn't a BT WH issue though.

0 Ratings
JonTaylor
Aspiring Contributor
Message 327 of 399

@MadPantherwrote:

Steering has been disabled. Do they need a reboot following that ?
Thanks

Is Steering still an issue seven months after the firmware update that introduced it?! 😞

I am seeing a single issue at home. My laptop wakes in the morning to a "no internet, secured" connection. I flip off the closest disc and it immediately picks up a connection from another disc and all is fine. I am guessing this is a Steering issue but I am not 100% sure.

0 Ratings
foz
Aspiring Expert
Message 328 of 399

I would advise testing things for yourself Jon, it's simple to turn on and off steering and it's always seemed with bt wh that what works for one person may not be the best solution for someone else.
0 Ratings
Yorkie29
Contributor
Message 329 of 399

Could someone explain what exactly is 'Steering' and why you should want it on or off?
0 Ratings
JonTaylor
Aspiring Contributor
Message 330 of 399

There are two main types of Steering. Access point steering involves the router participating in the decision of which access point a device connects to. Band Steering involves the router participating in the decision of which frequency a device uses to connect. There have been issues since the firmware upgrade in January which has involved issues such as random, unpredictable drop outs. Disabling steering on Whole Home sometimes fixes these issues.
You can access the settings at http://mybtdevice.home/steering.htm
0 Ratings