Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Steve59
Aspiring Expert
Message 331 of 399

Re: Wholehome firmware v1.02.05 build 01

There are actually 3 types of steering
AP (access point) where when enabled the whole home attempts to steer the swi ice to the best disc
legacy steering, some older devices cannot be steered
Band steering, the whole home steers to either 2.4 or 5

Personally I find the Apple MacBook does NOT like to be steered and that Apple products in general are more than capable of steering themselves
0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 332 of 399

@JonTaylorwrote:
There are two main types of Steering. Access point steering involves the router participating in the decision of which access point a device connects to. Band Steering involves the router participating in the decision of which frequency a device uses to connect. There have been issues since the firmware upgrade in January which has involved issues such as random, unpredictable drop outs. Disabling steering on Whole Home sometimes fixes these issues.
You can access the settings at http://mybtdevice.home/steering.htm

Not to forget 'Legacy Steering' which is the one I disabled and for me has proved the most successful.

0 Ratings
foz
Aspiring Expert
Message 333 of 399

My finding are the same as jim's. Legacy Steering seemed to be the culprit, the one causing my Wi-Fi bh disc to drop off and go red requiring a reboot.
0 Ratings
rogtuf01
Message 334 of 399

I decided that I would never update the firmware again on these units after installing a firmware update in March which the rendered the units inoperable.  I ended up having to send them back to the supplier for replacement.  The problems this caused were not inconsiderable, as not only being without the units for 2 weeks, my devices all had to be reset.  I am currently on 1.02.04.

Nothing I have read in this thread encourages me to put 1.02.05, so I will stay on .04 until I change to another manufacturer, as I am gradually getting fed up with having to reset the WIFI every few weeks.

0 Ratings
foz
Aspiring Expert
Message 335 of 399

I assume your set up is using wifi (backhaul) to connect to each other not ethernet?
0 Ratings
mikew88
Aspiring Expert
Message 336 of 399

The comparative lack of complaints about .05 compared to .04 and the number of people, including myself (now 10 weeks since updating and not one problem) who are reporting improved stability would encourage me to update, especially if you intend to buy something else anyway...not sure what you’d have to lose by trying the new version...but hey, it’s your choice.

0 Ratings
rogtuf01
Message 337 of 399

Two of my units are hard wired, the third is Wifi.  I have a low tolerance threshold for firmware updates that corrupt leaving you with dead units, particularly when there is no apparent way of rolling back the update.  

There is really no excuse for flaky firmware updates where the hardware and software is from the same manufacturer.  If the update fails and the units are under warranty, you have rely on getting the vendor to repair or replace them over period of days if not weeks.  If they are out of warranty, you can't even sell them not working.

No, I will stay on 04 and not take the risk thank you. 

0 Ratings
absolute40
Aspiring Contributor
Message 338 of 399

I agree with you about releasing flaky firmware, and an option to rollback. However I too have two discs on wired ethernet and one on WiFi and upgraded to v1.02.05 build 01 a month or so ago and haven't had any issues.
I have recently turned off legacy steering which has improved some of my devices ability to roam between discs better.
0 Ratings
Tangentpn
Message 339 of 399

I am on v1.02.03 build 03 and have a stable system. Occasionally have trouble with some mobiles and laptops, but rarely have to reboot the WH network. Currently 2 discs connected wirelessly, but considering adding a third.

Will I see any benefits from upgrading to the latest firmware, such as better performance, or new features?
0 Ratings
Tangentpn
Message 340 of 399

I am on v1.02.03 build 03 and have a stable system. Occasionally have trouble with some mobiles and laptops, but rarely have to reboot the WH network. Currently 2 discs connected wirelessly, but considering adding a third.

Will I see any benefits from upgrading to the latest firmware, such as better performance, or new features?
0 Ratings