cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mikew88
Aspiring Expert
Message 341 of 399

Re: Wholehome firmware v1.02.05 build 01

@Tangentpn Yes the new firmware won’t allow you to post the same message twice 😀...but seriously, I have found no difference in functionality or speed, and as I was stable on 04, no improvement there either as none to be had. Not sure if the app features work better now, I never use them but others may know.

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 342 of 399

@rogtuf01wrote:

Two of my units are hard wired, the third is Wifi.  I have a low tolerance threshold for firmware updates that corrupt leaving you with dead units, particularly when there is no apparent way of rolling back the update.  

There is really no excuse for flaky firmware updates where the hardware and software is from the same manufacturer.  If the update fails and the units are under warranty, you have rely on getting the vendor to repair or replace them over period of days if not weeks.  If they are out of warranty, you can't even sell them not working.

No, I will stay on 04 and not take the risk thank you. 

Bizzare post and bizarre reasoning.  Not sure why you sent your first disks back as they were not broken as such, it was simply buggy firmware.  As others have said this new update is far superior to what you are currently using and if you're not prepared to take the advice offered by people who are using it then why bother to post in the first place.

rogtuf01
Beginner
Message 343 of 399

@Jim-ladwrote:

@rogtuf01wrote:

Two of my units are hard wired, the third is Wifi.  I have a low tolerance threshold for firmware updates that corrupt leaving you with dead units, particularly when there is no apparent way of rolling back the update.  

There is really no excuse for flaky firmware updates where the hardware and software is from the same manufacturer.  If the update fails and the units are under warranty, you have rely on getting the vendor to repair or replace them over period of days if not weeks.  If they are out of warranty, you can't even sell them not working.

No, I will stay on 04 and not take the risk thank you. 

Bizzare post and bizarre reasoning.  Not sure why you sent your first disks back as they were not broken as such, it was simply buggy firmware.  As others have said this new update is far superior to what you are currently using and if you're not prepared to take the advice offered by people who are using it then why bother to post in the first place.

You are of course entitled to your opinion.  The fact of the matter is that when I installed a firmware update in March, all three units stopped working.  Despite restarting them multiple times, the units would not achieve a solid blue and bore all the hallmarks of not working.  There appeared no facility for restoring the previous firmware or re-installing the current version, so in my book the units were "broken".

This thread contains reports by owners who have successfully installed .05, and those whose units have ceased working after the update.  The point I was making was that if the firmware update fails, you then have to deal with the issue of getting the units replaced and I do not wish to go to all that bother again - if the update were to fail. 

Many people rely on these units day to day, and in my view, it is unacceptable that the manufacturer releases a firmware update that fails for some users when the hardware and software are ring fenced by the manufacturer.  These units are excellent value when compared with other mesh units on the market and in my opinion it would be worth the manufacturer increasing the price and providing a facility enabling a user to deal with a failed firmware update.

Yorkie29
Contributor
Message 344 of 399

I concur absolutely with rogtuf01.  Getting replacement units and the rigmarole of installing four units all over again is not something I want to repeat.  When BT can categorically confirm that either the revised software will work 100 % or that it will contain a simple and quick ability to revert back to a working (sort of) version that I'm sticking with my current set up. 

In my case, all four units have a blue light for about three weeks at a time until one or two turn orange.  Switching these off and on again sometimes brings back a blue light but often this does not happen for several days.  As I write one unit which had returned to blue a couple of days ago has again turned orange this morning.  This does not inspire confidence and I shall, therefore, continue to dissuade friends and collegues from buying these units until they are stable.

JohnfromUK
Contributor
Message 345 of 399

@Yorkie29wrote:

In my case, all four units have a blue light for about three weeks at a time until one or two turn orange.  Switching these off and on again sometimes brings back a blue light but often this does not happen for several days.  As I write one unit which had returned to blue a couple of days ago has again turned orange this morning.  This does not inspire confidence and I shall, therefore, continue to dissuade friends and collegues from buying these units until they are stable.

Blue light is all working with good signal strength for the connection to the hub/master disc.  Amber is working but with marginal signal strength.

IF you have marginal signal strength, then you are likely to get this now and again - it probably isn't a firmware issue.  With the latest software/firmware, my 3 unit system occasionally has one go orange, but everything continues to work.  It is simply a bit marginal on signal; this can happen for a number of reasons, interference being a common one.

I have been updated to latest firmware for many weeks now ......... and I have only had red/failure on one occasion (that I have noticed) - in which the main hub unit (BT home hub) was also down seemed to be resetting (I believe it does this now and again?).  Given 5 or 10 minutes, everything sorted itself out with no intervention or resetting from me.

0 Ratings
mikew88
Aspiring Expert
Message 346 of 399

@Yorkie29 Good luck finding a company that will guarantee any product, never mind a WiFi related product which can be affected by many extraneous variables, will  work 100% of the time...

0 Ratings
howtobea
Aspiring Contributor
Message 347 of 399

I am on the latest firmware but my whole home is still constantly disconnecting (4-5 times a day). The only way to fix is to restart the main disc, by turning on and off again. Can anyone help, other forums suggested it was a firmware issue. My units used to work with no issues whatsoever. Any help, greatly appreciated. Thanks

0 Ratings
dazla
Aspiring Contributor
Message 348 of 399

21 days after disabling legacy steering and all has been well until today. Random devices are disconnected from WiFi and won't reconnect on a reboot of the disconnected device. All three discs showing blue lights with excellent or good connection status in the app.

The master disc was rebooted and all the previously disconnected devices came back online with no further intervention required.
0 Ratings
howtobea
Aspiring Contributor
Message 349 of 399

A further query, do I need to turn off the steering when on v05? Thanks

0 Ratings
Yorkie29
Contributor
Message 350 of 399

No unit is more than 12 feet from any other.  Signal strength should NOT be marginal.  is this meant to be a premium product or a Hong Kong rip-off?  The units are all located out of the way and are not touched, nor is anything near them touched in the normal course of events yet still they loose signal and when they are touched (for dusting) they immedaitely turn orange.

Short of having them all in the same room they are just not fit for purpose.

0 Ratings