Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JohnfromUK
Contributor
Message 351 of 399

Re: Wholehome firmware v1.02.05 build 01

@howtobeawrote:

A further query, do I need to turn off the steering when on v05? Thanks

I run mine trouble free with steering off.  It may be you only need to turn off "Legacy Steering".. I have just turned the lot off and it works fine.

0 Ratings
JohnfromUK
Contributor
Message 352 of 399

@Yorkie29wrote:

No unit is more than 12 feet from any other.  Signal strength should NOT be marginal.  The units are all located out of the way and are not touched, nor is anything near them touched in the normal course of events yet still they loose signal and when they are touched (for dusting) they immedaitely turn orange.

Short of having them all in the same room they are just not fit for purpose.

The idea that being 12 feet is OK is incorrect; it depends on what is inbetween and what other RF signals are around (interference).  If a slight movement causes them to go lorange, it is very probably a signal strength issue.

Are your walls inbetween either very thick, or do they have foil faced insulation?  These are two major causes of poor signal propagation.

12 feet in free space should be fine.  18 feet including a thick stone wall is the limit for mine.  It barely goes through multi layer foil insulation (as used in some cavities and some roofspaces) at all.

0 Ratings
howtobea
Aspiring Contributor
Message 353 of 399

Thanks for the response. I will give it a try.

0 Ratings
howtobea
Aspiring Contributor
Message 354 of 399

Really interesting. I have always struggled with signal strength in my garage conversion. Distance is no issue but there is foil insulation. I had never realised this was the cause!
0 Ratings
JohnfromUK
Contributor
Message 355 of 399

@howtobeawrote:
Really interesting. I have always struggled with signal strength in my garage conversion. Distance is no issue but there is foil insulation. I had never realised this was the cause!

Any radio link needs to see the 'wanted' signal in amongst all the other unwanted signals (like other peoples WiFi), noise and interference.

To do this the signal both needs to 'get there' and there needs to be reasonable freedom from other interfering signals and noise.  True of ALL radio whether it be broadcast radio, TV, walkie talkie etc.

Low frequency radio (like the old AM radio) went through most building materials.  Higher frequency (like the old analogue TV and terrestial digital TV) didn't go through building materials very well - which is why many people had/have external TV aerials.

WiFi is higher frequency still; the 2.4 GHz band will tolerate some masonry, plasterboard, glass etc. but not much foil clad insulation; the 5GHz band is even less good at going through materials.  Because these bands do 'reflect' around (a bit like light does) you can often just about get a signal, but it may be very marginal.

Radio propagation is a complex subject and so location variable that prediction of range and performance is not an exact science.

0 Ratings
JohnfromUK
Contributor
Message 356 of 399

@howtobeawrote:
 Distance is no issue but there is foil insulation. I had never realised this was the cause!

If possible line the discs up so they see through the wooden door, or some other non foil area.  Alternatively - you might have to drop a cable through idf nothing else works.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Steve59
Aspiring Expert
Message 357 of 399

@howtobea I would reboot all discs if you had a drop out not just the master, I have found that just rebooting the master would not stay up for long
0 Ratings
howtobea
Aspiring Contributor
Message 358 of 399

Probably a stupid question but do you mean switch on and off or factory reset on each device?

Thanks
0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 359 of 399

@Yorkie29wrote:

No unit is more than 12 feet from any other.  Signal strength should NOT be marginal.  is this meant to be a premium product or a Hong Kong rip-off?  The units are all located out of the way and are not touched, nor is anything near them touched in the normal course of events yet still they loose signal and when they are touched (for dusting) they immedaitely turn orange.

Short of having them all in the same room they are just not fit for purpose.

This is a classic response/knee jerk reaction to something of which someone doesn't really understand.  WiFi can be extremeley variable even in two identical houses.  It depends on a myriad of factors e.g. how old your house wiring is, microwave ovens are notorious for affecting WiFi, so to are items such as central heating pumps and thick walls.

Before you go off on one calling a product ill to burn you should first look to your own situation.  Read up about WiFi then go through your property room by room eliminating all variables. 

If you have come on here seeking assistance then fine, but first you will need to tell everyone about your setup in much greater detail.

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 360 of 399

Case in point, my BT WH has just gone down.  Now am I rushing around the house ranting 'these useless disk - NO!  The first thing I did was look at my BT HomeHub and guess what, my service has just suffered a 'drop out' and the router has rebooted.

Once the router rebooted the disks came back online without any issues.  It does make me wonder how often this happens with other users who then immediately blame the disks rather than checking the routers UI to check if there has been any downtime. 

0 Ratings