cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Steve59
Aspiring Expert
Message 91 of 399

Re: Wholehome firmware v1.02.05 build 01

@Dean007 just a 2014 MacBook Pro, just with steering on it will drop connection in one part of the house, I am not worried as with steering off everything thing works fine
0 Ratings
Moose73
Aspiring Contributor
Message 92 of 399

I have a bit of a weird one now since updating, I have 2 disc setup, but now don’t see one of them on the app, yet I see it on the web settings page. No loss of performance and working ok apart from this.

0 Ratings
Joe1971
Contributor
Message 93 of 399

So much for letting it settle! Annoying power cut today reset all the devices. Grrrr!
0 Ratings
BrunoN
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 94 of 399

@Joe1971wrote:
So much for letting it settle! Annoying power cut today reset all the devices. Grrrr!

Hi Joe, a power cut (guessing that's equivalent to a power cycle Off/On) should not reset your settings. If you consistently see this problem, could you start a new thread and we / the community can try to get the bottom of this.

Also maybe describe what you mean by "reset all the devices". What settings do you see being reset? All? Some? Just the disc layout?...

0 Ratings
Joe1971
Contributor
Message 95 of 399

Sorry @BrunoN, should have said restarted the devices. They were scattered all over the place after the reset yesterday so need to review what’s pointing to where today. Wanted to leave the disc topology to get settle again for a few days after the F/W upgrade rather than the power cut causing all the mesh metrics to be recalculated.
0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 96 of 399

What does puzzle me with these disks is primary and slave.  You would think that the disk connected directly to the router would be the primary.  With my disks that is the case until I connect the disk downstairs to Ethernet which is routed through a gigabit switch to a powerline plug.

Once the lounge is connected to Ethernet for back haul efficiency, that disk immediately becomes the 'primary' despite it being much further away and not plugged directly into the BT Homehub.

It was exactly the same with build 10.

0 Ratings
ICAltd
Aspiring Contributor
Message 97 of 399

what happens if you swop the actual discs - does the primary stay on the powerline?

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 98 of 399

@ICAltdwrote:

what happens if you swop the actual discs - does the primary stay on the powerline?

Yes it does.  Very strange as you would think the disk plugged directly into a gigabit port i.e. the HomeHub would trump a disk plugged into a gigabit switch which in turn plugs into a powerline adapter and is further away.

Both disks show excellent connection.  It doesn't really make any difference as all my devices work brilliantly, it's just something I would like to know the answer to.

0 Ratings
B1998
Contributor
Message 99 of 399

I would hazard a guess that the disc just sees an ethernet connection direct to the router and doesn't really know that there's a switch and powerline in between. Those 2 are designed to be "transparent" at IP layer level, so the disc has no way to know.

Provided there's a good connection back to the router through that path (which you're saying there is) then it's not a problem.

0 Ratings
DavR0s
Aspiring Contributor
Message 100 of 399

Im in the camp that had a broadly working system prior to the previous release and then had a step change in stability as soon as I took the March upgrade.  I would have to restart the wifi or repower it maybe twice a day and have been doing this for several months.  I have a 4 disc setup.  So after giving it a few days to make sure the new release doesnt "brick" devices further I performed the upgrade first thing this morning so still very early days to know if its helped with stability - 24hours should give me some guide.  Upgrade went without a hitch and I was back online within a few minutes which was a relief.  I also made sure I didnt change any of the setup both physical and software so i know Im comparing apples with apples, as this was the clear guidance.  The one thing I immediately noticed was the improved range and speed when being steered to secondary discs.  I have just done a crude test and reckon my range is some 3x what it was before and im reaching near peak speed from much further distances - i would say better than Ive had since I bouight the kit, so far so good.  Wonder if this points to a backhaul conflict in the previous software preventing full performance - who knows.  So fingers crossed this release will stabilise matters.  Ive worked in the software/tech industry and in operational delivery roles too (even supplied to BT but I hasten to add not for this kind of device) so accept any release is unlikely to be issue free especially when its still being developed, as long as a new release doesnt degrade what I had previously.  I still remain concerned about BTs release philisophy and customer centric information flow so if this release is ok i wont be rushing to upgrade to any new shiny release given the lack of any roll back strategy (a few days issues is ok but not a few months) and my experiences with the last release - but hopefully the worst is past us now (at least for me).  If i get similar stability issues I'll post here

0 Ratings